Are the dev team furries?

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
XerxesQ

Are the dev team furries?

Post by XerxesQ » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:03 pm

Lugaru undeniably appeals to the furry fandom, I don't think anyone can disagree on that. So, Wolfire...will we be seeing you at Anthrocon? Or are you at least slightly furry?

Sage

Post by Sage » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:56 pm

WOuld it change your view of the game if they were furry?

I don't think they're furry... but that's just what I think. I've talked to a furry online before... jeeeeeees.

Zaphon

Post by Zaphon » Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:58 am

I don't think it has anything to do with furdom either,
I belive David chose bunnies and wolves because of all the games that had violence against humans,
or something to that extent.

I think playing as a bunny kinda adds to the slightly surreal feeling of the game, and it's very original!

Sage

Post by Sage » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:46 am

HUman vrs human, human vs alien
Alien vs human

Whatever happened to bunny vs wolf? Oh, here we are!

XerxesQ

Post by XerxesQ » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:52 am

Sage wrote:WOuld it change your view of the game if they were furry?
It would make me love it even more?

GaGrin

Post by GaGrin » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:15 am

I went through a phase with 'furriness' - mainly my own art style, I didn't get involved at all - but I started looking into it.

I just gotta say this much:

The internet is evil. The internet is wrong. And for the love of [whatever personal deity or power you personally hold dear] don't put furry into an unprotected search engine!

**Tries to patch up his bleeding eyes**

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:24 pm

I have no personal deity or power I believe in. I guess this comment does not apply to me and I should do the opposite.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Re: Are the dev team furries?

Post by Jeff » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:54 pm

XerxesQ wrote:Lugaru undeniably appeals to the furry fandom, I don't think anyone can disagree on that. So, Wolfire...will we be seeing you at Anthrocon? Or are you at least slightly furry?
David chose animals because of a theory he has where, basically, using unrealistic things such as animals fighting makes the game actually more immersive, whereas if you had real humans knifing each other, it might be kind of hard to palette. He is not a furry and in fact, until some very creepy fan-emails started trickling in, he did not even really know what a furry was.

I know that a lot of furries are not creepy and sexual and I would like to go to anthrocons to promote Lugaru, because it really is the perfect outlet for Lugaru... With that said, I would not go by myself.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:17 pm

I do not think that I am an animal spirit trapped in a human body or anything like that, but I think anthropomorphic characters are a great way to tell certain kinds of stories while avoiding preconceptions and stigma associated with human characters. I don't have anything against furries, and I think they are unfairly persecuted and stigmatized by many internet communities.

Also, like Jeff pointed out, I much prefer abstracting the violence away from humans in my games. Aside from avoiding the uncanny valley, this is why I always make the characters robots, polygonal humans, zombies, furries, faceless monks, and so on. I always try to make my games as believable (in their own context) as possible, so if I were to use realistic human characters it would be very disturbing. I.e. you could shoot someone in the spine and they would start rolling around and screaming about how they can't feel their legs and so on.

Furries are also underrepresented in serious non-cartoon games; and I like to work in relatively unexplored game niches.

I wouldn't mind going to Anthrocon to promote Lugaru 2 if it is at a convenient time and place.

Albab
This title is part one ...

Post by Albab » Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:55 pm

David wrote:I do not think that I am an animal spirit trapped in a human body or anything like that, but I think anthropomorphic characters are a great way to tell certain kinds of stories while avoiding preconceptions and stigma associated with human characters. I don't have anything against furries, and I think they are unfairly persecuted and stigmatized by many internet communities.

Also, like Jeff pointed out, I much prefer abstracting the violence away from humans in my games. Aside from avoiding the uncanny valley, this is why I always make the characters robots, polygonal humans, zombies, furries, faceless monks, and so on. I always try to make my games as believable (in their own context) as possible, so if I were to use realistic human characters it would be very disturbing. I.e. you could shoot someone in the spine and they would start rolling around and screaming about how they can't feel their legs and so on.

Furries are also underrepresented in serious non-cartoon games; and I like to work in relatively unexplored game niches.

I wouldn't mind going to Anthrocon to promote Lugaru 2 if it is at a convenient time and place.
I'm glad you're not like "Lol furysaz r teh fagz". I'm good friends with a furry, actually. He's a really cool guy. xD He really like lugaru, actually... You should go to a furry convention, it would be great.

Once again, thanks for being so progressive.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:54 pm

David wrote: I.e. you could shoot someone in the spine and they would start rolling around and screaming about how they can't feel their legs and so on.
YES, HELL YES!

Oh man, that's great.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:02 pm

Ok... a Furry?
I am not a person who persecutes, but Some one who tries to get views. What the hell is a Furry? I never Heard of One until now. :?:

Inane

Post by Inane » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:05 am

My brother is a member of the furry community :?. Gotta say, judging just from his favourites on his deviantArt account I wouldn't touch that with a flaming sword of justice (The justice would disintegrate).
Furries are people who like thinking they're animals and have a anthropomorphic animal fetish, which is funny because my brother is NOT like an animal, in anyway, besides the fact he is TECHNICALLY a mammal. But, some of the people are indeed cool.

I say go the con and promote the game, just bring a gun or sharp stick.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:43 pm

This just seems absurd.

Sage

Post by Sage » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:59 pm

David wrote:I think anthropomorphic characters are a great way to tell certain kinds of stories while avoiding preconceptions and stigma associated with human characters.
I agree, and so does the crator of Ozy and Millie
I.e. you could shoot someone in the spine and they would start rolling around and screaming about how they can't feel their legs and so on.
Wheras it's awesome if a wolfie does that. Maybe you could also compare a human being hit by a car, and a wolf being hit by a car? Just kidding.