randomness

Anything else
Endoperez

Re: randomness

Post by Endoperez » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:12 pm

So, still looking for a positive game.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons isn't it. It's a beautiful game all about the themes of co-operation, helping others, and so on... but the world it's set in is cold, cruel, and has that decidedly Scandinavian touch of melancholy.

You can clearly see that the game was made / heavily influenced by a movie director - it's got a mechanic for sitting down to appreciate particularly beautiful views, and it's very dramatic with the action scenes. Usually the "swept by a river" scene stops at the FIRST waterfall...

Phoenixwarrior141
Location: I've lost all sense of direction, I'm quite concerned to be honest.

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:56 pm

Sir You Are Being Hunted is good.

SamW

Post by SamW » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:42 pm

Endoperez wrote:So, still looking for a positive game.

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons isn't it. It's a beautiful game all about the themes of co-operation, helping others, and so on... but the world it's set in is cold, cruel, and has that decidedly Scandinavian touch of melancholy.

You can clearly see that the game was made / heavily influenced by a movie director - it's got a mechanic for sitting down to appreciate particularly beautiful views, and it's very dramatic with the action scenes. Usually the "swept by a river" scene stops at the FIRST waterfall...
Yeah, that game. Beautiful and effective at conveying a particularly unpleasant feeling to the player. Played with a controller all the way through in on sitting, and well...
[+] Yes this is definitely a spoiler, and for this type of game a spoiler will ruin it.
it is very effective at conveying the sense of loss through its use of the controller and the final segments (I mean, they effectively kill your left hand... Very unpleasant). The ending (non-interactive) scene is a depressing referendum on the whole thing about what little was achieved vs lost. Still, the game's final gameplay segment, does evoke the idea of borrowed strength or the growth of the younger brother in the ordeal.
But wow, the creator really understood how to effectively push emotions through the act of playing the game... And then tops it off at the very end for good measure.

I suggest playing the game if you ever felt like you were too happy.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:00 pm

SamW wrote:I suggest playing the game if you ever felt like you were too happy.
Sheesh, and here I started it hoping to be cheered up. :(

I caught up on Steven Universe, which definitely cheered me up! It's weird how they manage to balance between a straight-up kids cartoon and telling good stories with themes that go over kids' heads.

Phoenixwarrior141

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:42 pm

Try Spec Ops, totally cheers you up:

I regret nothing.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:16 pm

Also, I just realized that one half of the Island Adventure episode was basically a spoof of Predator.

Korban3

Post by Korban3 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:06 pm

Phoenixwarrior141 wrote:Looks Russian.

Hang on, I'll get America on the phone.
There's a reason it looks Russian
"Samozaryadnyj Karabin sistemy Simonova"

It's the predecessor to the AK 47.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:51 pm

Big Hero 6 is pretty good

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:48 pm

Ragdollmaster wrote:Big Hero 6 is pretty good
Oh, cool. Looks like it will air here in two months. :|

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:56 pm

I have given you something to look forward to, then.

Phoenixwarrior141

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:50 pm

God, I've fallen in love again with Tom Clancy's Endwar (The game).

Seriously, it's on sale for $10 right now and will only get cheaper as time passes, go get it! Hell, get 2 copies and play with a friend.

The political events going on around you as you wage World War 3 against 2 other factions is actually pretty humanizing, making you sympathize with the civilians caught in the crossfire even if you don't actually see the events unfold, just hear about them.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:20 pm

Where are all the Magical Girl anime RPGs? Or Power Rangers RPGs? They're basically two sides of the same coin, but I can't really think of any games following the premise.

Random teen in a modern city receives magical powers and is guided through the tutorial level by some sort of a talking pet/creature/AI/wristwatch/gadget. The first fight against a bully, who was possessed by evil / secretly serving aliens / really the evil overlord!

A simple goal is set, such as recovering something to increase the hero's powers! After a few fights and a mini-boss, LEVELUP! You have unlocked the power of [whatever] and have new powers, and a get a transformation sequence if one didn't happen yet!

Then come friends who join your party and round it up, endless monsters of the week, a love interest or dozen, combination moves, more special powers, alternate customes with powerups, the world-threatening plot is revealed, some drama stuff every once in a while, etc.

In the final fight there's a dramatic moment that increases the tension, but ultimately the day is won etc.

They are already using the RPG plot. Are they really too niche to be used in games?

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:43 pm

One of the coolest things I've ever seen... I think this is true, and if it's true, it's super duper mega incredible-unbelievable-off-the-walls amazeballs! Not because it looks particularly cool, or because it's slow-mo camera with high resolution, but because of the subject matter. I didn't know this was even possible!

See that time counter? Do you see what's moving there?

ps = picoseconds

pico is 10^(−12)

That thing is light moving through air and bouncing off a mirror...

:shock:

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Thu Dec 04, 2014 4:46 pm

Haha, we've had light speed "cameras" for years, buddy.

MIT video from 3 years ago

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:17 pm

Ragdollmaster wrote:Haha, we've had light speed "cameras" for years, buddy.
Thanks! It's still amazing.

Addendum:
The amazing scifi-future I read about as a kid (only 20 years ago) arrived three years earlier than I had realized. I was too busy creating virtual worlds, traversing other virtual worlds, and downloading the combined information of hundreds of years of humanking on my portable machines to notice.

"Amazing" doesn't quite express all that.