Post by Thomason1005 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:05 am

Because i love this map viewtopic.php?f=16&t=18256#p194371
Attachments
Arena_wolf.jpg

Endoperez

Re: Fan Art

Post by Endoperez » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:39 am

Nice one!

You have depth there, and a decent composition. There's something about the characters' poses in this one and your previous image that I'd like to give critique on, though.
[+] About Composition
The rough silhouette of an object can be considered as a basic geometric shape of some sort. There's various shapes, some of which look more stable than others.

Anything that looks unstable looks more like it's moving, or could move. Poses with lots of action should be unstable.

Anything that looks stable looks like it's staying still, in one place, balanced.

Triangles standing with a long side along the ground are very stable. Triangles with a point on the ground are very unstable.

Squares and wide rectangles are also very stable. Tall rectangles may look unbalanced.

Diagonal shapes and lines look as if they were falling over, so they are unstable and imply motion. Vertical lines are stable but may imply potential movement if they look like they could fall over. Horizontal lines are the most stable. However, diagonal lines leaning on other shapes can look like supports too, so it's not an ironclad rule...

Symmetrical shapes look more balanced than asymmetrical shapes. Triangles always have at least one diagonal line, they can be symmetrical or lopsided, they always have at least one diagonal line but they might have one or two horizontal/vertical lines as well... In other words, triangles are a very interesting and useful shape!
rudimentary_composition.jpg

The character posing with weapons is very stable and balanced. He looks to be balanced, still, in control,etc. It's a good pose! There's also nice diagonal lines for the eye to follow around the image - the wooden piece from the left leads eye down to right foot, then up through the ankle towards the knife, then down again, then up the coastline, then back to character, etc.

In the image with the fighters, the character being kicked is unstable and looks to be falling over. Another good pose! If you wanted to exaggerate his motion, you could have his right leg bend slightly towards our left so the triangle-shape is more pronounced, and possibly adjust his sword too.
However, the character who's doing the kick doesn't read well as a shape. The triangle he has is a stable shape, the long diagonal hypotenuse would create a sense of movement towards the target of his attack, but most of the lines in his body are vertical or horizontal. This creates a weird disconnect. I think exaggerating either his strong balance (making the kick and his pose and his lines of action more vertical) or the movement (making the kick and his pose and his lines of action more diagonal) would improve it from the current one, which sits somewhere in the middle.
Kung fu forms often have very exaggerated poses that make for nice inspiration or reference.

In the last image, he's got an overall good pose. I think the right arm would work better if it was aligned with the blue line. It would turn the rectangular shape into a more triangular one. A tall rectangle is less stable than a triangle with a horizontal base.

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:01 pm

woha thx for the feedback
yeah im not completely happy with the low kick, especially how the upper body connects to the legs(his center should be more in front and his feet should have the same length), but i think the open hand makes it look more precise, though as you said one could make the left rabbit seem less stable. i tried to have his left leg point towards the right rabbit (so his left leg is twisted) but it kindof disappeared behind the other things.
in the 3rd arena pic turner is supposed to look hurt & grab his stomach while standing up so his upper body weight rests on his arm so it should be centered i guess. i could have added a bit of bend on the arm / shadow on the inner arm though, it might have made things clearer.
btw in the first pic he grabs the cord(?) of a bridge to get on it, thats why his center is a bit behind his back feet.
but you definately have an interesting way of analysing the poses. i always try to figure out where the center is and where the feet are at and where forces come from. if i want a stable pose, i put the center between both feet, if i want a dynamic one mostly not. when blocking or thrusting /running the vector of all forces on the body should be between the feet / where the body touches the ground, else youll fall over or at least have to move your feet
Attachments
veeeery lazy sketches
veeeery lazy sketches

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:21 pm

Yup, center of balance is another big thing. That's the annoying thing about composition - there's countless things and you have to consider each and every one. :D

If you lean on something, it has to look right. A bent arm is weak, because it requires constant muscle work to keep in that position. A straight arm is rigid thanks to the bone structure. So, leaning down on your arm when you're wounded, the arm should be straight, so that you can rest your muscles. So I don't think you need to add any bending in there, it was clear enough as is.

It was clear he was wounded and leaning, but again, I didn't like the direction that much. It works alright, but could be better. When the hand is at the center, that means the force of the push is going OUT of the center. If the hand is to the cide, the push is towards the center, making the pose more stable.

RagdollZombie

Post by RagdollZombie » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:58 pm

Some violent fanart
Overgrowth kill.png

renamedperson

Post by renamedperson » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:37 pm

@RagdollZombie, I like how I can recognize the type of character, even if they arn't shaded, or extremely detailed!
@Thomason1005, I know there isn't much stuff going on in the drawing. So far, I've only done portrait type of pictures, but after my next one, I hope I can get into actions, or set pieces.
My next one will be like an old concept art. It is just so I can understand the character's shapes and sizes better.
Edit: Here is the picture.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:43 pm

Nice!

The shading works well, but the base picture has some minor issues. The left leg is angled a bit weirdly, it's hard to say if it's touching the ground. I see you tried to give him shorter arms and smaller hands, but I think it went a bit too far.

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:21 pm

RagdollZombie wrote:Some violent fanart
haha thumbs up its a real pure massacre
@daxtart triple the hand size & add more darkness, the eyes are a good tone. you are on a good way

akazi

Post by akazi » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:06 pm

Overgrowth kill.png
OMG, that eye. :shock:

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:23 pm

akazi wrote:
Overgrowth kill.png
OMG, that eye. :shock:
you can feel the adrenaline & panic

renamedperson

Post by renamedperson » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:40 pm

Endoperez wrote:Nice!

The shading works well, but the base picture has some minor issues. The left leg is angled a bit weirdly, it's hard to say if it's touching the ground. I see you tried to give him shorter arms and smaller hands, but I think it went a bit too far.
Yeah, I made the forearms, and the hands too small, and I think it detracts from the image. Also, I need to take a look at that leg again :shock: I don't know what happened!
Edit: Here is the edited version. For some reason, the scanned images don't look as neat as the actual image, so I used a variety of filters on the scanner to see which one looks the best. Tell me which one you like!
[+] Drawings
Screen shot 2014-12-23 at 7.19.04 PM.png
Screen shot 2014-12-23 at 7.18.51 PM.png
Screen shot 2014-12-23 at 7.19.16 PM.png
How do the spoilers work? (Thanks Endoperez)
Another Edit! ROFL! I forgot to draw the damn blade on his sword! LOLOLOL! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by renamedperson on Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:03 pm

You need to give the spoiler a title after the = symbol. You can see how it works by quoting a post that uses spoiler tags.
[+] enter title here
The darkest scan ahows moat contrast, although it is slightly miscolored. Withlut further edits it's likely tve best.

Nice fixes! I like the grass.

RagdollZombie

Post by RagdollZombie » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:17 am

Awesome :D

renamedperson

Post by renamedperson » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:18 pm

I have a new drawing! Cats haven't been getting any love in the fan art thread lately, so I decided to draw one! This cat is an adventurer/warrior. He could have a story behind him, thanks to the stump. OMG I just realized that the monk has stumps too. I didn't steal that idea! I just thought it would be cool, and was just being lazy! Well, I hope you like it. Feedback, as always, is welcome! THANKS!

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:48 am

@ daxtart that grass underneath the rabbit looks neat, i think you should draw fur like thath too, just an idea