Overgrowth Weekly

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
akazi

Re: OGW Q&A with David Rosen

Post by akazi » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:56 am

Do you ever feel pressured by the community about requests, such as this Q&A for example? Knowing if you just don't do it then people will get on your butt about it all.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:25 pm

Here's the latest recording!

Gotta get some more of them questions though, keep em coming! :D

Tain

Post by Tain » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:14 pm

Will we see any 'feral' actions in overgrowth? I like the idea's of different species having different physics and playstyle, but none of the species feel 'animal' to me. Things like a run on all fours, biting, clawing seem like they could add more variety to the characters, and show that you are playing an Anthropomorphic animal, instead of just a guy in a bunny suit.

Sumguy720

Post by Sumguy720 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:34 pm

Thanks for answering my last question!

I have been wondering this since 2014:

Overgrowth has same sweet features that probably took a good amount of time to polish, like the knife throwing prediction, procedural animations, inverse kinematics, blood mechanics, etc. My question is: How do you prioritize features and idea implementation right now? How do you decide what to work on, and how do you judge whether or not something will be worth the development time to add to the game?

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:55 pm

me haz some questionz
are there any plans to make mods that use modified scripts available in sumlauncher?
what is your target on the graphics and detail side? do you try to achieve AAA quality (or go more stylised) & is there any limit given by the engine? or maybe by the system requirements youre targeting
also one for aubrey:
will we see more of the painted backgrounds (2D/3D thing) as in the arena from art asset overview #40? they were cool & the heightmaps always seem to end pretty abrupt.

iDubbbz

Post by iDubbbz » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:23 pm

David, are you sure you want to work on overgrowth for another 10 - 15 years? They say the age of peak cognitive performance is 24. I'm sorry to say, but you're past your prime and it's only going to get worse. Here's what I'm suggesting: sell Overgrowth to ubisoft, and live high-on-the-hog for the rest of your days. Fire Aubrey, and tell him to go back to cake baking, or w/e he did before wolfire. There. I just saved you from years of ridicule, and got your game a 9.5/10 on IGN.

btw, how did you and aubrey meet?

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:57 pm

iDubbbz wrote:I just saved you from years of ridicule, and got your game a 9.5/10 on IGN.

"It's alright."

Also, I feel really old now, knowing tat my mind is already decaying.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:27 pm

iDubbbz wrote:They say the age of peak cognitive performance is 24.
That's very different from best game development potential. Which artists, writers, engineers did their masterpiece at that age?

Anton
pretty cool guy

Post by Anton » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:14 pm

I just wanted to mention that Aubrey has confirmed his intention to join us on the next episode on January 11, 2015. If you have any specific questions you would like to ask him, you can do so by specifying your question(s) here. :)

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:28 am

moooar questions!
-this metagame you talked about, will this be a cool screen to select the levels or will it actually have a meaning? and if so, can one still finish the game when completely sucking at it?
-@aubrey did you ever consider having painted stuff in cutscenes (maybe animated as in the new shadow warrior) and/or will the comics be included in the game in any way?
-will you do more of that comic stuff?
-will the story be dark? will it have some kind of message? will turner die? *spoilers*
-do the easter eggs in og actually come from rabbits and will there come chickens out of it?

RagdollZombie

Post by RagdollZombie » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:27 pm

David -

do you have any plans on releasing references to the Overgrowth scripting language as well as the .xml files? to help us modders out?

Also I had an idea where static objects can have "sharp" edges (or even characters so wolves can truly have "sharp" claws and create wounds) like weapons but they can't be picked up of course.

For example, spikes at the bottom of a deep trench. They're stationary objects, unlike weapons, but have a sharpness map (a black and white image where black is dull, and white is razor sharp) which you can get stabbed by them if you fall on them.

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:54 am

RagdollZombie wrote:David -

do you have any plans on releasing references to the Overgrowth scripting language as well as the .xml files? to help us modders out?

Also I had an idea where static objects can have "sharp" edges (or even characters so wolves can truly have "sharp" claws and create wounds) like weapons but they can't be picked up of course.

For example, spikes at the bottom of a deep trench. They're stationary objects, unlike weapons, but have a sharpness map (a black and white image where black is dull, and white is razor sharp) which you can get stabbed by them if you fall on them.
That last part sounds too awesome

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:59 am

Hey david,
Will you add some variationes (that word isn't to good is it?) to the attacks.
For example if you do a round house kick then sometimes you kick lower and sometimes higher.
And if you miss and hit a wall will you get any damage from kicking the wall instead of an enemy?

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:13 pm

Since a bunch of people have been asking me about this lately: what are the plans for Overgrowth's price once the game is released?
Based on what I have heard so far, I'd say it stays at 30$, but quite a few guys seem to think that it is pretty much guaranteed that it will go up, since that's how Early Access usually works. It would be helpful to get an official statement about this to settles speculations once and for all.

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:01 pm

EPR89 wrote:Since a bunch of people have been asking me about this lately: what are the plans for Overgrowth's price once the game is released?
Based on what I have heard so far, I'd say it stays at 30$, but quite a few guys seem to think that it is pretty much guaranteed that it will go up, since that's how Early Access usually works. It would be helpful to get an official statement about this to settles speculations once and for all.
just realised how cheap early access is. just buy early access games and wait for them to finish is a cheap way to get games