randomness

Anything else
Endoperez

Re: randomness

Post by Endoperez » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:33 pm

rodeje25 wrote:there is no WAY that lol was a learning experience!!!
For me, it was nothing but a learning experience, on the game itself. That's why I eventually lost interest in it. I wasn't willing to practice and train to improve my game (new item builds, new jungle routes, new roles now that support was starting to get contested, whole new metagame on mid lane...). It was such a chore to keep up with the game just to be able to play it at a decent level.

I never was that interested in dealing damage, or even winning. I played it like I play roguelikes — every game is a new character, and how I die teaches me something about how I should play. For me, learning more about the game was the biggest draw.

Phoenixwarrior141
Location: I've lost all sense of direction, I'm quite concerned to be honest.

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:52 pm

Just wanna say, Hatred will be released on June 1st.

Edit: I can spell dammit.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:17 pm

http://www.twitch.tv/legacytyphoon/b/653563805

I streamed some One Way Heroics Plus a few days ago. If you can handle people talking over the game, check it out.

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Fri May 01, 2015 2:33 am

I decided to do something good this week:
I focused on school all the time!
My grades are going up but i'm tiiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeddddddd!
I'm gonna reward myself by playing a lot of ksp next week (holiday started).

Phoenixwarrior141

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Sat May 02, 2015 5:34 am

My next purchase is going to be one of the following (Tell me what you think)

1: The Hitman collection, because I am a fan.

2: The three S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games, because I am a fan.

3: Mafia 2

4: Hatred (When it releases)

5: A laptop.

I need to buy something, my game life is suffering.

EPR89

Post by EPR89 » Sat May 02, 2015 6:25 am

Can't really comment on the games, since they all seem to be worth it, and all of them are available for pretty cheap.
You can preorder Hatred already.
I personally only played the Hitman series up to Hitman 3 and loved it. But I think they may only get their full potential on the first two or three playthroughs. Once you've found out how to beat a level there's not really anything else to do. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is very different in that respect with its dynamic open world and big modding community. I have only played the first one for a very short while, though. There weren't any mods available back then. I didn't like the gun feedback and quickly lost interest. I wasn't big into open world games back then, though. I have a feeling that this may go very differently if I tried it again today.

Regarding the laptop:
Are you mobile; do you need to take it somewhere every now and then (home and university for example)? Do you have limited space at your place? In other words, do you really need a laptop?
I have only a laptop and I love it to death and I would have no use for a desktop PC, mainly because I have a tiny apartment and am not at home very often. But the simple facts are that it is practically impossible to upgrade a laptop, that they are not as well suited for gaming and that a laptop is much more expensive than a desktop PC with comparable specs.
A laptop is a great tool, but only really worth it when you actually need one. I'd say that a gaming-ready machine is probably going to be in the 1000€ price range, which completely blows the games you have listed out of the water.

PrincessCelestia

Post by PrincessCelestia » Wed May 06, 2015 3:38 pm

Hey everyone, I forgot the password for my regular account so I guess this is my normal one now.

Just popping in to let you all know that I'm famous now.

Phoenixwarrior141

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Thu May 07, 2015 1:14 am

I saw 2nd amendment and ran for the hills knowing gun nuts were INCOMING

Jacktheawesome

Post by Jacktheawesome » Thu May 07, 2015 1:22 am

Hey, this isn't just any gun nut. This is the Wolfire Forums paleo-dieting-boot-camping-3D-modeling-pony-worshipping gun nut. And he's ours.

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Thu May 07, 2015 6:41 am

PrincessCelestia wrote:Hey everyone, I forgot the password for my regular account so I guess this is my normal one now.

Just popping in to let you all know that I'm famous now.
uuuh soooo why do people call you a racist? or are you not the military guy walking around with an ak47...
i didn't get the video

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu May 07, 2015 8:02 am

I've been reading a fan-translation of a Light Novel called Rise of the Shield Hero recently. It's decent anime-ish fantasy story. With one big caveat.

The portrayal of women, gender stereotypes, and sex is so ridiculously bad way that I think even Phoenix will agree it's horrible. So I thought, well, the forum's going quiet any way. We'll either go out with one last flamestorm, or a miracle happens and I and Phoenix agree on something! ;) :P

Here's an example: a scene where the main hero is trying to avoid having sex with an underage slave girl A he accidentally drugged with love potions when he was buying her. He grabs the nearest of his underage female slaves, B, and goes to bed with her (because having someone else sleeping in your bed prevents other people from coming to your bed to have sex with you, obviously), but B misunderstands and gets all hot and bothered and escapes... so he grabs the next of his dozens of underage female slaves, C, and goes to sleep in his bed, taking C with him despite her protests.
I'm like "wtf did I just read"? It reads as if it was supposed to be funny, but... urgh. No, that's not funny, that's just weird.

There's a character who is portrayed as a deceiving bitch. She lies about getting raped and causes trouble for the protagonist, who is one of the Four Chosen Heroes Who Will Save The World. So, yeah, over-used trope, negative stereotype, but whatever. Then she goes on to do betray the trust of the rest of the Four Chosen Heroes, and helps cause a local apocalypse-level situation, and betrays her mother, and her kingdom, and her father, and religion, and then she finally dies by being mutilated and tortured to death for weeks by a sex maniac rapist because her mother decided that's how she should die.

I'm like "author dude, do you have issues or something?"

Other than that, it's a passable, even interesting story. These things are usually portrayed as a joke, or put in filler chapters, and they're not a big part of the story... but it's annoying, because so far they've just distracted from the parts of the story I do find interesting.

(I started reading it as a manga, and then jumped over to read the novel starting from chapter 35, in case anyone's interested even with the problems mentioned above).

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Thu May 07, 2015 9:28 am

Phoenixwarrior141

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Thu May 07, 2015 7:27 pm

Endoperez wrote:I've been reading a fan-translation of a Light Novel called Rise of the Shield Hero recently. It's decent anime-ish fantasy story. With one big caveat.

The portrayal of women, gender stereotypes, and sex is so ridiculously bad way that I think even Phoenix will agree it's horrible. So I thought, well, the forum's going quiet any way. We'll either go out with one last flamestorm, or a miracle happens and I and Phoenix agree on something! ;) :P
We will not agree because I will go "It's fictional, so STFU you San Francisco fuckslut."
Here's an example: a scene where the main hero is trying to avoid having sex with an underage slave girl
If this scene was essential even slightly in building the narrative or even just to give the story some flavor, then I have no problems.
A he accidentally drugged with love potions when he was buying her.
No point to be made here, so... Hah.

I giggled at that.
He grabs the nearest of his underage female slaves, B, and goes to bed with her (because having someone else sleeping in your bed prevents other people from coming to your bed to have sex with you, obviously), but B misunderstands and gets all hot and bothered and escapes... so he grabs the next of his dozens of underage female slaves, C, and goes to sleep in his bed, taking C with him despite her protests.
This doesn't seem like the "Hero" of the story. I also may be naive, but I didn't see any form of misogyny against women collectively here. It's either so subtle it's ineffective, or not there at all.
I'm like "wtf did I just read"? It reads as if it was supposed to be funny, but... urgh. No, that's not funny, that's just weird.
Maybe working as intended...? Alienation is an amazing plot device in ALL media.
There's a character who is portrayed as a deceiving bitch.
They put Anita in the story? Fuuuuuuck.
She lies about getting raped and causes trouble for the protagonist, who is one of the Four Chosen Heroes Who Will Save The World. So, yeah, over-used trope, negative stereotype,
Wait what? "Over-used trope"? How? "Negative stereotype" HOW?
but whatever. Then she goes on to do betray the trust of the rest of the Four Chosen Heroes, and helps cause a local apocalypse-level situation, and betrays her mother, and her kingdom, and her father, and religion, and then she finally dies by being mutilated and tortured to death for weeks by a sex maniac rapist because her mother decided that's how she should die.
In that situation I would be FINE with that.
I'm like "author dude, do you have issues or something?"
Welcome to media, shit isn't all flowers and rainbows. Unless they are. In which case, fuck.

Other than that, it's a passable, even interesting story. These things are usually portrayed as a joke, or put in filler chapters, and they're not a big part of the story... but it's annoying, because so far they've just distracted from the parts of the story I do find interesting.
So, wait. Other than those two (maybe 3) incidents, the story was passable. Those 3 incidents not containing any overt sexism or misogyny, albeit representing sex (as an act) negatively in a way, kinda.

I mean, those incidents are fucked up but that wouldn't change my opinion of the story.

Shit's still interesting, so if I got something wrong tell me. Cuz I feel like I'm flying a bit blind without context.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Thu May 07, 2015 8:48 pm

I haven't read any of the chapters yet, but the way the translators have grouped the chapters up seems to give warning as to what's going on. I mean there's the "W(hat) T(he) Actual F(uck) Arc" and the "I am Mad Scientist. It's so Coooooool, Sunnuvabitch Arc"

I'll read some of it later this evening when I have more time and tell you what I think.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Fri May 08, 2015 3:02 am

Phoenixwarrior141 wrote:We will not agree because I will go "It's fictional, so STFU you San Francisco fuckslut."
Fiction can still be bad.
I think some of the author's choices in writing this piece of fiction are horrible.
If this scene was essential even slightly in building the narrative or even just to give the story some flavor, then I have no problems.

This doesn't seem like the "Hero" of the story. I also may be naive, but I didn't see any form of misogyny against women collectively here. It's either so subtle it's ineffective, or not there at all.
The scene built up two things: the slave affected by the love potions wants to jump his bones, and he keeps saying and touching and doing things others misinterpret as sexual. Both are things that keep getting repeated over and over again, and I feel like they're both bad and lazy choices for characterization and don't work as jokes.

Those parts aren't misogynistic, they're handling sexuality in a really weird manner. "Look, kids think they'll be forced to have sex, isn't it funny?" I don't think you specifically would find much, if anything, in the story misogynistic, but you might agree that its portrayal of women, gender stereotypes and sex is ridiculous.

Speaking of misogyny,though... One of the characters is later afflicted by a curse of misogyny - he literally sees and hears pigs, instead of women and girls. He is unable to understand them. That's one of the themes of the series - using certain powers will cause a psychological or metaphysical curse, which takes away one's ability to think or experience certain things. One's sense of taste, ability to have gold or valuables, ability to make things, ability to talk to women...

The protagonist gets cursed with hate early on, and he teeters between "villain with redeeming qualities" and "hero using evil methods for the greater good" for most of the series.
Maybe working as intended...? Alienation is an amazing plot device in ALL media.
That was probably the intent, but I still thought it was weird and unnecessary and wasn't handled like the other, similar scenes. There's like 2 whole chapters dedicated to that. Elsewhere, there are scenes where dozens to hundreds of people are tortured to death and that only gets a few scenes that describe the protagonist's reactions ('oh, that's nasty, I guess we're not in Japan any more, they have different rules here') but nothing about what's going on.

It reads like the author just put a lot of thought and interest into how one would sexually torment a bitch of an ex, so to say, and much less interest in stuff like that elsewhere. It's creepy, because it reads as something the author inserted into the story for his sake, instead of the story's sake.

Some people will drop the series instantly after that, and I'd totally understand.
They put Anita in the story? Fuuuuuuck.

Wait what? "Over-used trope"? How? "Negative stereotype" HOW?
There's this thing where unlikable women are often portrayed as deceiving liars who use gullible men to their advantage. As you demonstrate, it's a label that has been stamped on real-world women too. These stereotypes exist in media and out of it, which is why having them become ubiquitous is bad. Women characters could have different, less clichéd flaws instead. For example, a scientist who ignores the societal values to push her own work on anyone willing to listen, even if others criticize her methods and tools and goals. There's a minor character like that in the series.

Obviously there are women and men who do these stereotypical things, that's why they've become such strong stereotypes. It's a negative stereotype, just like portraying men as sex-crazed maniacs who can't focus on important stuff because they're impressing girls and chasing skirts. It's an over-used and negative trope, and, incidentally, also appears in the series.
So, wait. Other than those two (maybe 3) incidents, the story was passable. Those 3 incidents not containing any overt sexism or misogyny, albeit representing sex (as an act) negatively in a way, kinda.

I mean, those incidents are fucked up but that wouldn't change my opinion of the story.

Shit's still interesting, so if I got something wrong tell me. Cuz I feel like I'm flying a bit blind without context.
'Other than that' in this case means all the instances — there's more than 3, but they're not very common either — with the weird portrayal of sex and gender stereotypes. Sex is portrayed as something a hero wouldn't do, or something depraved, or a tool for evil. Several characters are nothing but a single, overused and cliché gender stereotype turned up to eleven and then some.

They don't change my opinion of the rest of the story that much, but since those parts are weaker than the story as a whole, having these in it obviously lowers my opinion of the story as a whole. The "ok this is nice" stuff has some problems in this regard, but I can enjoy it despite that. The "wtf is this drivel" parts lower my opinion on the work as a whole, because they ARE a oart if the whole. Cut some of those things out and the story improves.