randomness

Anything else
Phoenixwarrior141
Location: I've lost all sense of direction, I'm quite concerned to be honest.

Re: randomness

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:38 am

Endoperez wrote: Show me a review that discusses Witcher 3's tutorial, then, or its first two hours, compared to Witcher 2. Here it's skipped in a single sentence. That's hardly going to be the thing which people decide on. Witcher 3 is open world, 2 isn't, so the games should teach the gameplay in different ways. If that difference doesn't come across in a review, I suppose that a less noticeable difference won't be mentioned either.
This statement conflicts with what you said earlier. The gameplay in the Witcher 2 and Witcher 3 doesn't change significantly after the early game to my knowledge, so you'll be able to tell easily within those first two hours if you like the game or not so you can get a refund (I still don't see how this hurts indies who make short games, but I'm probably missing the point).

This is probably me missing the point again, but it was relevant to say.

The Witcher 3 has a 2 hour opening scene? Anyways, I browsed Steam's user reviews for the Witcher 3 and I didn't find too many reviews (I skimmed however so you may have better luck then I if you look yourself, sorry) mentioning the tutorial. I briefly skimmed Kotaku's and Rock Paper Shotgun's reviews and I didn't find anything in Kotaku's review (Like I said SKIMMED. I did not read through it thoroughly.) and I don't have time right now to even find Rock Paper Shotgun's review. I forgot to check Polygon before writing this, I am so good at arguments I know.

(This was written at six in the morning and I just woke up, be gentle)

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:42 am

Phoenixwarrior141 wrote:This statement conflicts with what you said earlier. The gameplay in the Witcher 2 and Witcher 3 doesn't change significantly after the early game to my knowledge, so you'll be able to tell easily within those first two hours if you like the game or not so you can get a refund (I still don't see how this hurts indies who make short games, but I'm probably missing the point).
The gameplay doesn't have to change to pad out the early game, either. Have a longer multi-part tutorial quest, for example, or more wilderness before reaching the first city or safe area.

If someone doesn't like the game, they won't play for two hours any way. If someone likes it, they will keep playing. But someone who wasn't impressed by what they saw might never return to it after launching it once... and now the devs (possibly) have a monetary incentive to keep those players in for two hours, instead of an hour or whatever.

It's probably not going to be a huge thing.
The Witcher 3 has a 2 hour opening scene? Anyways, I browsed Steam's user reviews for the Witcher 3 and I didn't find too many reviews (I skimmed however so you may have better luck then I if you look yourself, sorry) mentioning the tutorial. I briefly skimmed Kotaku's and Rock Paper Shotgun's reviews and I didn't find anything in Kotaku's review (Like I said SKIMMED. I did not read through it thoroughly.) and I don't have time right now to even find Rock Paper Shotgun's review. I forgot to check Polygon before writing this, I am so good at arguments I know.

(This was written at six in the morning and I just woke up, be gentle)
Thanks for checking it out in so many different places.
As you noticed, the early game isn't something reviewers focus, unless they specifically notice a problem in there. It's only relevant if it's either very bad, or very good — padding it out so that the first natural place to have a break is after 2 hours of playing is quite abstract, and harder to notice. I think it wouldn't really get noticed in reviews, unless it was done badly.

The the early game was padded out in a really bad way, obviously the reviews would mention it and the game wouldn't sell as well.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:40 am

Here's another viewpoint: having a no-questions-asked refund policy with about 50% refund rate is great, because it means all Steam prices for (indie) games have to double and that's good because games are being sold for too cheap.

http://www.puppygames.net/blog/?p=1708

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:48 am

Phoenixwarrior141

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:38 am

Endoperez wrote:
The gameplay doesn't have to change to pad out the early game, either. Have a longer multi-part tutorial quest, for example, or more wilderness before reaching the first city or safe area.

If someone doesn't like the game, they won't play for two hours any way. If someone likes it, they will keep playing. But someone who wasn't impressed by what they saw might never return to it after launching it once... and now the devs (possibly) have a monetary incentive to keep those players in for two hours, instead of an hour or whatever.

It's probably not going to be a huge thing.
So... we're in agreement?

Thanks for checking it out in so many different places.
As you noticed, the early game isn't something reviewers focus, unless they specifically notice a problem in there. It's only relevant if it's either very bad, or very good — padding it out so that the first natural place to have a break is after 2 hours of playing is quite abstract, and harder to notice. I think it wouldn't really get noticed in reviews, unless it was done badly.

The the early game was padded out in a really bad way, obviously the reviews would mention it and the game wouldn't sell as well.
So... we're kinda in agreement again?

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:27 am

Yes, that happens sometimes.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:45 am

Endoperez wrote:You am can words. I am can concur only. Bows and symbols of gratitude.
Endoperez wrote:Yes, that happens sometimes.
Have I mentioned lately that you're fantastic?

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:52 pm

Glabbit wrote:
Endoperez wrote:You am can words. I am can concur only. Bows and symbols of gratitude.
Have I mentioned lately that you're fantastic?
you and Endo are fantastic.... did i mention that lately?

edit: sorry EPR you are fantastic as well :)

edit edit: wow my number of posts is growing fast! i remember that last week i still was at 500 posts and this week i'm at 600 posts! i wonder how long it'll take to get a 1000 posts!

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:55 pm

I like this whole forum. :) In May, things slowed down and it seemed like it might be slowly dying off, but it seems there's still some life in it yet.

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:15 pm

Endoperez wrote:I like this whole forum. :) In May, things slowed down and it seemed like it might be slowly dying off, but it seems there's still some life in it yet.
i thought that as well.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:13 pm

Oh, that's a continuous cycle.
Notice my 'first joined' date? I've seen quite a many lulls in activity around here. But the forums always spring back to life again at some point or another. Usually just after an update or popular mod is released.

O'course not everyone who vanishes comes back...
*forlorn distance stare*

Phoenixwarrior141

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:26 pm

But this is the internet dammit.

Arguments must always devolve into tossing insults at one another.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:10 pm

Phoenixwarrior141 wrote:But this is the internet dammit.

No, no, that's MOVIES. Internet is the real world.

It's a common mistake, though, I've met many people who think like that. Maybe it's because internet used to be fiction back when it was called cyberspace?

Phoenixwarrior141

Post by Phoenixwarrior141 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:07 pm

Endoperez wrote:
Phoenixwarrior141 wrote:But this is the internet dammit.

No, no, that's MOVIES. Internet is the real world.

It's a common mistake, though, I've met many people who think like that. Maybe it's because internet used to be fiction back when it was called cyberspace?
I have been conditioned by the YouTube comment section.

Moving onward to something beautiful:

PrincessCelestia

Post by PrincessCelestia » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:00 am

Not beautiful enough