To buy or not to buy (Overgrowth)

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
MetalMilitia623

To buy or not to buy (Overgrowth)

Post by MetalMilitia623 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:24 pm

That is the question.

I just recently found out about this game and I love everything about it. The combat seems spectacular the movements seems fluid and fun. The levels seem alpha-y but that's to be expected.

My concern with this game is that is has been in development for a long time and some people seem to say progress is very slow. Now I own BeamNG.drive and Intruder both of which are in a similar position as this game. Intruder has the core game fairly finished to the point people are holding tournaments on it but a lot of animations and other things are missing. Beam has a solid physics engine nice levels and mod support but isn't really a game quite yet, you can just crash vehicles.

Intruder has a dev team of two or three and development seems to be about on par with this game which says to me those complaining about the speed of updates don't understand the complexity of game development. Beam has thirteen people some of whom are fairly new and development has sped up quite drastically.

I have heard that Wolfire is trying to hire more staff which would certainly aid development and from what I've read and videos I've watched it seems like lack of staff is the biggest thing holding this game back.

I do really want to support this game but am undecided because it is a pretty high price for a very rough game.

rodeje25

Re: To buy or not to buy (Overgrowth)

Post by rodeje25 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:26 pm

MetalMilitia623 wrote: I do really want to support this game but am undecided because it is a pretty high price for a very rough game.
Just like beamNG.

Also if you buy overgrowth you save yourself some money because you get receiver, low light combat (A.K.A llc) and desparate gods for free. And you basically get lugaru as well (a remastered version of it) because the lugaru campaign will be one of the campaigns in OG. There's also SUMlauncher with wich you can install a lot of maps and mods.

I hope this helped you with deciding wether to buy the game or not.

MetalMilitia623

Post by MetalMilitia623 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:20 pm

I knew I got Receiver (a second copy) and LLC but did not now about desperate gods being included or that the story from Lugaru was going to be included. I think I am going to buy it.. If I ever get this "kid" to pay me.

Sehiro

Post by Sehiro » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:17 am

Desperate Gods is not "included" in what you buy, it's a free game, among others. You can download it without necessarily buying OG here: http://www.wolfire.com/desperate-gods

And here there are the other free games by Wolfire: http://www.wolfire.com/games

About Lugaru's campaign, it'll still take some time before being implemented as some feature are missing (fire effects and staves). We got a glimpse of something which may be a lugaru campaign map (screenshot made by the dev who is working on it), but it doesn't necessarily mean it'll be out anytime soon (my personal guess: around the end of the year, if they keep being focused on it).

The game is ton of fun already as it is, especially if you play it with a friend and use mods, but keep in mind it's far from being finished and years will probably pass before it will be.

MetalMilitia623

Post by MetalMilitia623 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:19 am

I completely understand that it will be a while before it is finished. I'm in the same boat with BeamNG.drive. That game will be a few years until it is finished as well. Even still from what I've seen on this game from dev videos and random youtube idiots the game looks awesome. Even in alpha it looks better and more complete than some AAA titles.

Thanks for clarifying about the free games. I saw them before I joined the forum and then got confused when rodeje said it was included.

Either way overgrowth looks like an amazing game. My only other question is with receiver do I get a steam key or is there an ability to gift it to someone else because I already own receiver?

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:26 am

Imdon't think you can gift your copy of receiver. I remember thst i just saw on the forums that when you bought overgrowth you get receiver as well and then i looked in my steam library and saw receiver.

MetalMilitia623

Post by MetalMilitia623 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:56 am

rodeje25 wrote:Imdon't think you can gift your copy of receiver. I remember thst i just saw on the forums that when you bought overgrowth you get receiver as well and then i looked in my steam library and saw receiver.
Isn't it through humble though? Maybe you bought it when they were not giving codes but just a button to add the game to your linked steam account. Idk, it probably won't be a deal breaker but it just seems wasteful to not be able to give a friend a copy of a game I already have.

rodeje25

Post by rodeje25 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:48 pm

MetalMilitia623 wrote:
rodeje25 wrote:Imdon't think you can gift your copy of receiver. I remember thst i just saw on the forums that when you bought overgrowth you get receiver as well and then i looked in my steam library and saw receiver.
Isn't it through humble though? Maybe you bought it when they were not giving codes but just a button to add the game to your linked steam account. Idk, it probably won't be a deal breaker but it just seems wasteful to not be able to give a friend a copy of a game I already have.
There was no button it was automatically added to my steam library.

Sehiro

Post by Sehiro » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:09 am

I "unlocked" Receiver on steam with the same code needed to "unlock" OG. In my case the code came from humblebundle.
Forgive my lack of right terms, I do not know steam very well.

MetalMilitia623

Post by MetalMilitia623 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:52 am

Ah, ok sounds like I won't be able to gift it. Oh well. Thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate it.

Van

Post by Van » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:33 am

It really depends what you are into, I've had overgrowth since 2012, it was in like alpha 260~ odd like that, it has developed and added new features and graphical enhancements.. the updates are slow but I'm not really sure how big the DEV team is tbh , I wouldn't imagine very big, there is a bit of scrutiny within steam and the general internet about this game ever being finished - but like I said this game is in alpha and been in development for years and most games do in fact take years to make..

anyway the game is really fun but it depends what you like on the whole, if you are into GMOD - there's something in the way of a prop spawner where you can position and edit/rotate/scale items such as blocks or things to make a new kind of running platform, you can drop in weapons and NPC's and NPC's that help you in a fight. You press TAB and the game slows down to slow motion, which is a really neat thing to play on because when you fight you have the freedom to change the pace of the fight, not to have it auto set or fixed. There is parkour and within the community there are quite a few parkour maps, also there is a huge amount of maps within the SUM launcher which you can use to download a whole heap.

There's a versus mode which you can fight the AI as if it were like Street Fighter where as you get the best of 2 or 3 rounds I think that's right, but yeah like a side platform fighter ..

Overall I didn't buy the game, someone bought it for me so I've had a great time with it and enjoy showing people I know the game and sometimes they are quite impressed

Thomason1005

Post by Thomason1005 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:19 am

yeah its definately a cool game to enjoy especially the versus mode with a friend, the mechanics are awesomely simple and hard to master, the fighting is awesome. but the updates are not really there atm as they used to be every month, i think the mods and community suffer on that. this might change again though