Suggestion: Rabbit Hearing

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:07 pm

How about when you stop for a moment, either use enhanced sound through your speakers (Stereo of course, I can't think of any computer that doesn't have it) or use slight ripples to your screen where sound is (Not in a separate mode, just on top of the normal view), or both. And have the enhanced sound be nice and echoey 8)

whiterabbit

Post by whiterabbit » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:17 pm

right bunny , i dunno bout enchanced actull sound i would find that Irritating personally, I personally would prefer a visual personification for any kind of "detection" game device.
but your ripple effect is basicly what i had in mind , imagine like a transparent shockwave coming from the location of a sound while in the "mode". I only use "mode" to describe the difference between running around and just standing there using the feature.

Then the transparent shockwave would be a different shape or color depending on how loud or regular the sound is, the closer the sound is the less transparent.
A close sound would be close to opaque, while a distant sound would be very transparent.
Then a violent or sudden sound would be a jagged shaped shockwave , while a softer sound like walking would be a flat shockwave.

rarr i need visual aid in describing this :P

Sage

Post by Sage » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:57 am

So basically it's like when you get hit in an FPS game. They hit you from the front and there's a red indicator at the top of the screen. if they hit you from the right it's at the right.

only this time, things like a rock hitting the ground, a rabbit's foot hitting the ground, or a door closing etc. would make a ripple in that general direction.

tallyl.iii

Post by tallyl.iii » Sun Oct 08, 2006 3:34 pm

I like the idea but ripple effects could be tough on some computers though.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:03 pm

Not really, and there might be something in Core Image that does that. But it'd probably cause problems with making an equivilant for the windows version

And about the sound enhancing, basically some sort of echoing sound, sorta faint, sorta not, a bit like what you'd hear in slomo in Lugaru 1

whiterabbit

Post by whiterabbit » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:28 pm

less about screen distortion , imagine the rabit foot hitting the ground and then a ripple is sent out radialy from that noise.
but failing my idea , screen distortion sounds pretty hot.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:06 am

That's what I was saying, whiterabbit.

whiterabbit

Post by whiterabbit » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:49 am

It was more of a retort to Sage, but yeah , either of those ideas seem pretty damn sexy in my opinion.

Sage

Post by Sage » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:14 am

Meh, actually it's the opposite of what I said, but that's a good idea as well... makes more sense.

As for the Cor distortion... I don't know what Cor is... is it Corell Draw or something? I use a PC (it had all the good games... I grew up on one of those mac laptops though) and Dave is making the game of the PC so I assume that if there was a ripple effect then it would work for the PC.

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:22 am

I'm not 100% sure how Core Image works/what it is, but I guess to develop
crossplatform effectivly you shouldn't or can't use platform specific stuff like Core Image.

It's a great idea, but only if it's a very small part of the game.
I mean so you don't get used to stopping all the time and listenening for
enemies... like with the X-Ray camera in Cold War.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:37 pm

Let's not have one of those games where you are given a certain weapon/tool/vehicle for a level and then basically forced/raped into using it.

whiterabbit

Post by whiterabbit » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:59 pm

well, no if they did something like this , you wouldn't have to use it , it's a function. a replacement for the horrid creature that is minimaps.

also from the direction the discussion is going, the idea seems to me like it would automaticly activate when you wern't doing anything, and it wouldn't be In-your-face.

so no , not raped renegade.

MacWiggy
troll on timeout

Post by MacWiggy » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:24 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:Let's not have one of those games where you are given a certain weapon/tool/vehicle for a level and then basically forced/raped into using it.
Tru Dat. I like games like Psi-Ops, that have multiple solutions to each level.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:43 pm

You have to activate your hearing? That sounds worse than having a minimap, like toggling on a super power, otherwise known as ears. Having special effects for general things like hearing should be put as subtle animations instead, something that happens automatically whether you push a button or not, because you don't really need that ability and animations don't get in the way (such as ears pointing up in an alert phase, and ears settled down in calm state). And anybody you fight is going to be in your face fighting you, not hiding in some box where you have to hear them out and murder them.

Oh, and I don't think I get what you mean by having it automatically activate when you aren't doing anything. Something huge like sound ripples echoing across your screen every time you stand still doesn't seem very subtle to just be something you don't have to use.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:17 pm

MacWiggy wrote:
Renegade_Turner wrote:Let's not have one of those games where you are given a certain weapon/tool/vehicle for a level and then basically forced/raped into using it.
Tru Dat. I like games like Psi-Ops, that have multiple solutions to each level.
I would've said Deus Ex because it came first, but yeah. 8)