63%
Windows
38%

Total votes: 24

MacWiggy
troll on timeout

Mac vs. PC: The Final Showdown

Post by MacWiggy » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:28 pm

This is what it all comes down to. Close your windows, this could get ugly.

(And don't say some other system, like Linux, because this fight is between Mac and PC.)

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:41 pm

Both systems are meant for different things. Macs are mostly aimed towards higher-level businesspeople looking for movie editing or music creation, or stuff of that sort, but really the market on those things is dominated by Apple (Final Cut, Logic...). Plus, they're terrible for gaming, they're kinda slow, and they're EXPENSIVE!

PC's are great for gaming, and they have a lot of the apps that the Macs have or different ones that Macs don't have. They are also much faster than Macs and support a wider range of hardware than Macs do.

My vote goes to PCs. Macs are a good OS but they just don't have anything that I really would want to make me buy them.

MacWiggy
troll on timeout

Post by MacWiggy » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:50 pm

No, the higher level buisness people buy PCs for the microsoft buisness tools, (And because they're too snooty to use an easy computer) Macs are for college students who like to make movies and listen to music, but don't have time to spend 3 f***ing hours just installing the printer. And macs aren't kinda slow anymore, thanks to the badass intel chip. Also, it's true that PCs support a wider range of hardware, but there's no guarantee that it'll work, or that it won't suck ass.

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:53 pm

What the hell? I spent 20 seconds installing my printer. Maybe that 3 hours you spent is because you're incompetent or something, cause all I had to do was put in the CD and plug it in.

"Easy computer"? They are both a cinch to figure out. You're defending a moot point, on the grounds that everyone everywhere is incapable of plugging in a mouse or turning on their monitor.

Intel chips are just Apple admitting that their OS is not superior to Windows, so again I win that point.

Plus, it's just the fact that PCs have other hardware, period. You only get Apple motherboards and processors from Apple, so you can't really get a good deal if you're trying to upgrade. Which brings me to my next point, that PCs can be more easily and cheaply upgraded than Macs.
Last edited by leDoOd on Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MacWiggy
troll on timeout

Post by MacWiggy » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:54 pm

That is, if they don't overheat.

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:55 pm

What are you talking about? They only overheat if you make them, AKA you overclock or you're stupid and buy a $3 fan with bad reviews. I have never had any person's PC that I know overheat, ever.

And that brings me to another point, overclocking! PCs overclock like a breeze, but you cannot overclock a Mac, period. Which again makes PCs better for gaming or other tasks.

MacWiggy
troll on timeout

Post by MacWiggy » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:56 pm

My brothers brand new sony laptop overheats if it's not perfectly flat.

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:57 pm

Laptops are more compact and can't siphon air perfectly. Mac laptops heat up if you don't elevate them, just like every other laptop on the market. Plus, my dad didn't elevate both of his Mac Powerbook laptops and their batteries overheated which killed them. I don't know of any other PC laptop that can do this.

By the way, stop ignoring all my arguments. If you're going to defend the Mac, stick to the points I bring up so you can make me believe they're something besides an overpriced average computer with no real selling points to the average consumer.

MacWiggy
troll on timeout

Post by MacWiggy » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:47 pm

Dude, I was sticking to the points you made! You're like a stubborn little kid who keeps going "No ya didn't! No ya didn't!"

And wherever those other two votes came from, back me up!

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:04 pm

Actually, Macwiggy, the weak arguments seem to be coming from you. He was making valid points, and you were dodging them by moving onto something else.

You seem to reason that just because your brother's laptop overheats, all PC's are going to be like that? I have had my computer, a Dell Pentium 4 PC, since 2000 and have never once experienced any problem with overheating. In fact, since 2000, my computer has been running like charm with only minor hiccups.

I guess since I know that my PC has been pretty much flawlessly effecient, I will assume all other PC's are the same, because you seem to think that's a good reasoning to have.

Your whole argument against the PC seems to be based on assumptions, so how do you expect people to take you seriously?

zatoichi

Post by zatoichi » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:21 pm

macwiggy, you started this thread just for an argument, didn't you?

personally, I don't get the whole "omfg apple sux it's for n00bs" "no windows sux and you're stupi!!11" thing. different people like different os's. I grew up with macs, so obviously i like them better. but that doesn't meani think windows sucks. macs have enough good games for casual gamres like me, (case in point luagru) and other than that, both brands can do pretty much the same things. it's really just a matter of preference.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:31 pm

I think it's stated specifically in the rules that there are to be no Mac Vs. PC debates…

But either way, the more I see PCs doing things, the more I like Macs, and anything that's for a mac seems to always have higher quality than PC stuff, so PC is for when you want something that "Just Does It", and Mac is for when you want something that "Just Does It", but want it to do it smoothly and nicely :wink:

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:13 pm

Oh man, what a trainwreck. If you're going to start a thread for the sole purposes of arguing, at least argue properly. As Renegade Turner said, your entire premise for your argument is based on false assumptions and anecdotal evidence not experienced by your opposition.

I personally have long since transcended the MACADDICT FOR LIFE!! or WINDOWS ONLY FOREVER!! phase of my life and use both machines every day, but MacWiggy's trollish and invalid points makes me want to play devil's advocate.

Macs are faster? No. Right now I can buy a Core Duo 2 laptop PC. Apple is still stuck with a patently obsolete cheap. Plus, OS X has never looked worse due to the recent PPC -> Intel switch. There is still no native Office, Matlab, Photoshop, and many other critical programs for Mac yet, so OS X is SLOW for many users. How can you tout Macs as the artists choice when Photoshop runs like it does on a 5 year old PC?

PCs overheat? This is the worst point you could have made. Apple's MacBooks are notorious for overheating. In fact, Apple has famously stated that you should not use your MacBook on your lap. Hopefully this will be resolved when Apple gets their hands on the Core Duo 2 chip, but Apple is playing catch up with the PC world.

Windows is crappy? Again, very poor timing on your point. Windows Vista (RC2 is available for free download now) has all of the features of Leopard and more. In fact, Microsoft is going to be shipping Vista this month, beating Leopard. At this point, both Microsoft and Apple have next generation operating systems, so stability, etc. is not really a concern any more.

PCs are much cheaper, more customizable, and more upgradeable.

Now if you want to debate choose a point and make a rebuttal. I have more than countered all of your actual points, not including personal attacks and sketchy anecdotal evidence.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:19 pm

Well, basically, I just prefer macs, mainly because it's the only thing I've ever had a decent chance to use. :roll:

But yeah, I'm just a Mac person, nothing more.

zatoichi

Post by zatoichi » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:24 pm

BunnyWithStick wrote:I think it's stated specifically in the rules that there are to be no Mac Vs. PC debates…

But either way, the more I see PCs doing things, the more I like Macs, and anything that's for a mac seems to always have higher quality than PC stuff, so PC is for when you want something that "Just Does It", and Mac is for when you want something that "Just Does It", but want it to do it smoothly and nicely :wink:
yes, it does say that in the rules. I humbly request this thread be stopped before it tears the community asunder.