Fan Art

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Thomason1005

Re: Fan Art

Post by Thomason1005 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:30 am

sometimes adding a bit of blur(1 or 2 pixel size) and then taking the contrast up again can help you get rid of the small dots.
i often use the color curves rather than contrast tool because it shows you a diagramm in the background that shows in which brightness area you have a lot of colors /pixels. in photosop and gimp at least

grindgrain

Post by grindgrain » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:19 pm

oh wow, i would've never thought i'd get so many useful advices.
Thank you guys a lot.

...and by the way - harsh criticism ruuules!

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:30 pm

grindgrain wrote:...and by the way - harsh criticism ruuules!
No, no, constructive criticism rules. There's a difference!
:)

grindgrain

Post by grindgrain » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:15 am

oh, of course! Of course! But even a harsh criticism IS constructive if you taking it without any hard feelings. Honestly at first i kinda freaked out a big time and wanted to delete everything.
And i gotta apologize for turning it into a discussion regardless of the forum rules.

... and...wait....
Heeey! Give me back my shooooes!!!

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:40 am

grindgrain wrote:oh, of course! Of course! But even a harsh criticism IS constructive if you taking it without any hard feelings. Honestly at first i kinda freaked out a big time and wanted to delete everything.
And i gotta apologize for turning it into a discussion regardless of the forum rules.
Constructive and harsh can go together, but criticism can be harsh and utterly useless. "ur idiot cant you see it sucks so bad lol!" and whatever.

I'm sorry you felt like deleting anything! :( Can you think of a way to say the same thing with less chance of pushing people away? Was it some specific part, or getting too many things pointed out to you at once, or something else?

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:05 am

I think it's just the general case of an artist who is humble enough to have self-doubt, which in my opinion is a good thing so long as people treat each other humanely.
If that is the case, I don't think there's anything we can do but continue to be nice people.

...despite that, I've taken quite a liking to these shoes and am not willing to part with them.
But you can have a cookie for being the first person in ages to comment on my 'location' and making me feel clever and happy, Grindgrain. Along with another for your art.

grindgrain

Post by grindgrain » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:23 pm

Endoperez wrote:
grindgrain wrote: I'm sorry you felt like deleting anything! :( Can you think of a way to say the same thing with less chance of pushing people away? Was it some specific part, or getting too many things pointed out to you at once, or something else?
I would say it was more of my own "looser habits" of just destoying everything i made and running away if things don't go absolutely perfect (they never do ).

what would be much worse if you would just go a completely neutral and uninterested way and say "oh that's good \i like it. when in reality it isn't. You really did a good job of giving a stellar advices and an honest critique at the same time. i really wouldn't even wish any better.

Now i kinda like being critisized and it would be nice if you not only criticize something that i might do in the future, but tear it apart to all hell, because i really want to improve.

About "a better way of saying it" i would probably focus on positives and the process itself; Say about the ways of improving the situation without giving "a proper name" to something that's poorly done.

And again i'm probably going a little too far *puts on doctor's glasses* but there are two basic "languages" in any conversation or a conflict:
"You" language and "I" one. At one point you've used "you" language which usually is pretty agressive, involves "finger-pointing" and usually sparks conflicts:
"What you had was a poor, uncleaned photo of a pencil drawing, which is how sketches are presented."
And even though i completely understood and agreed with you, at that moment it was just a bit painfull to hear\read.

Still though i'm pretty happy about the way things turned out and i gotta thank you once again for your time, help and effort.

And Thomason1005, thank you for your nice advice about those cool tricks, they seem to apply very well in "Sumopaint" too.

what have we turned this topic into ...

...And also Ladies and Gentlemen, remember! You can post your Fanart in this thread! It's perfectly legal, fun and much appreciated!

om nom nom nom
yum
what? he said i can have these!

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:40 am

grind grain wrote:"You" language and "I" one. At one point you've used "you" language which usually is pretty agressive, involves "finger-pointing" and usually sparks conflicts:
"What you had was a poor, uncleaned photo of a pencil drawing, which is how sketches are presented."
And even though i completely understood and agreed with you, at that moment it was just a bit painfull to hear\read.
Okay, thanks! That's something I can say differently, in the future.

"My art teachers taught me to always present my work in a professional way, scanned and cleaned up. Just showing pictures of my sketches makes them look bad." and so on.

Also, I wouldn't worry about being off-topic. The forum has been slowing down for a long time now, and having any art-related discussion is nice, and it's still pretty close to what this thread's about.

grindgrain

Post by grindgrain » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:51 pm

Yeah, you're right! I would probably even avoid the words like "bad" and be a little more specific and say" less appealing to the eye" instead, this way it's easier to understand why your advice is important and useful without any possible hard feelings getting in the way.

i wanna thank you once again for your help. I would've never expect such care and support,
especially over such small things.

Silverfish

Post by Silverfish » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:12 am

I'm going to try doing fan art watch at the end of every OGW (including Q&As), so make sure to post your fan art in here if you want to show it! :)

grindgrain

Post by grindgrain » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:52 am

to be completely fair i was just messing with an old image in an online digital editor
Endoperez is awesome!

still counts , right? v.v

please don't sue me! ahhh!
Attachments
gmw_cover3.jpg

grindgrain

Post by grindgrain » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:00 am

another logo >.<
(this one is the cover for a song)
Attachments
logo_4_4.jpg

TimARC7

Post by TimARC7 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:46 pm

showing my appreciation for the game!
overgrowth fanart.png
more on my artstation:
https://www.artstation.com/artist/timarc7

grindgrain

Post by grindgrain » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:48 pm

Awesome painting(s) Tim! ^^

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:13 am

TimARC7 wrote:showing my appreciation for the game!
overgrowth fanart.png
more on my artstation:
https://www.artstation.com/artist/timarc7
I like the composition. The colour in the background is maybe a bit light, and too similar to the tip of the sword, maybe? The water's nice too.