Mac
63%
Windows
38%

Total votes: 24

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:08 pm

Albab wrote:Thing is, I simply prefer macs; If I had both, I'd use both, but I only have a five to seven year old cube running OSX. I have to say though, a 5-7 year old windows is nearly unuseable (at least to me) due to eyesoreness/other such things. I use my computer for day to day things that don't require huge amounts of processing; I want my computer to look like it's been polished, not like it's just fallen off of a conveyor belt somewhere. Windows=games mac=day to day use. Mac-only games are better, anyway, for the most part, though it would be nice to play something without having to wait a few days/years. BUT the intel macs can run windows, so that's what I'll stick with. I have nothing against windows; I don't really trust bill gates, but hey, whatever.
I don't see why. Bill Gates seems like a very nice man. I think a lot of people have received misconceptions about what kind of person he is without knowing the facts. He has been used as the image of the geeky, evil, treacherous businessman in a lot of things, including most memorably in The Simpsons.

This is the popular image of him, I think, and not the fair one. Do you know he has donated a third of his life savings to charities? His life savings are over $100 billion.

James M

Post by James M » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:30 am

Sure he's a nice enough person, could use some help in the software side of things though...

James M

Post by James M » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:10 am

Jeff wrote:James M, your arguments are also very tenuous and are very indicative of someone who doesn't actually use PCs.
Well you would be wrong there, unfortunatly I have to use them on a regular basis, and my friends all have PCs. I know how the work, and I don't like them...

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:06 pm

Personal bias is a beautiful thing in an argument.

tallyl.iii

Post by tallyl.iii » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:22 pm

I'm going to have to ruin this argument by saying "whatever floats your boat, man." I, personally, love Macintosh (especially Leopard) and Apple computers in general but seeing that Macintosh runs as fast or faster on equivalently priced non-Apple computers (ask the guys on OSX86) makes me question a few things.

I can't deny though that I like Vista quite a lot and had it not crashed my iMac (because I had to mess around with my EFI partition) I would be using it on a regular basis.

Kalexon
Kalexon

Post by Kalexon » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:39 pm

There is one point I would like to make however. A few days ago when I was in class one of the girls in the class was going to give a speech, but she needed to have a DVD player, the teacher brought out her laptop and hooked it up to the projecter, put the DVD in and... Nothing, it took five minutes to load up the DVD, this was a windows mind you, but I have found sometimes it happens with Macs also (I couldn't get Fight Club to load on the fastest Mac in the house, mind the thing is probably five years old by now)
I guess the point I'm trying to make is that Macs and Windows are pretty much split, that's why they've both been able to hold on in the market. If they weren't then either Mac or Microsoft would have flopped by now. Sure Windows might be faster, they may have more options for gamers open but Macs are easyier to understand and control which make them ideal for beginners who are trying to familairize themselves with computers and have a few hidden bonuses in the aplications for getting things done faster.
Now, this might sound a bit pro-mac and maybe your right, for a long time the only computers in the house were Macs (and still pretty much are, since my mom would kill me if she found out I had been playing games on her work laptop) but if I had a fast Windows here I would use it if only to play the big commercial games like Age of Empires III, or Black & White 2, Battle for Middle Earth I&II, the list goes on and on.

Now for the gaming perspective(hold on, your still reading? Good!): Don't worry, the end of my rant is at hand, just bear with me.
As I hinted at above pretty much what Windows are known for are big, titles, made by big game companys, with even bigger labels and still bigger wallets, while Macs are more known for the good shareware games made by a single person or a small group of people (blackshades anyone?)

And there ends my rant, I hope you feel at least a little enlightened, now I retreat to my room to let out all my teenage angst.

James M

Post by James M » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:02 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:Personal bias is a beautiful thing in an argument.
Man, Os X is just simply a better OS. Period...
The Vista arguments are null untill Leopard is out. (which should be coming out around the same time probably before)

Cons:
- Limited compatibility
Can PC's run Os X and Windows legally? nah I didn't think so. I think macs win here. :P

tallyl.iii

Post by tallyl.iii » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:30 pm

I've used both and I prefer Leopard over Vista.

If you don't believe me:
Proof

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:35 pm

James M wrote:
Renegade_Turner wrote:Personal bias is a beautiful thing in an argument.
Man, Os X is just simply a better OS. Period...
The Vista arguments are null untill Leopard is out. (which should be coming out around the same time probably before)

Dude, I already addressed this in your last post. Leopard is 5 months away. Vista is one month away. The fact that you think Leopard is coming out sooner than Vista kind of disqualifies you from an educated debate on the subject.
Cons:
- Limited compatibility
Can PC's run Os X and Windows legally? nah I didn't think so. I think macs win here. :P
If you quoted the rest of my list you would have seen that I already covered that. Limited compatibility refers to the fact that you can't use a lot of hardware with Macs (most sound cards, etc.).

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:36 pm

I see no reason to run a Mac on my PC, there are no real selling applications for Mac.

Kalexon
Kalexon

Post by Kalexon » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:26 pm

Dude, I already addressed this in your last post. Leopard is 5 months away. Vista is one month away. The fact that you think Leopard is coming out sooner than Vista kind of disqualifies you from an educated debate on the subject.
I disagree, I believe Vista has been five years in the making? They were close to releasing it before, they ran a public beta test and found a huge amount of bugs so they took it back to the office and tryed to work them out. Time will tell, but I remain skeptical.

zatoichi

Post by zatoichi » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:42 pm

it says no mac v. pc debates in the forum rules, why are we having one? I really think we should just stop this thread before it ends in trouble. nobody's gonna suddenly go "oh my god, i've been wrong about macs/PCs my whole life, what was wrong with me?" this can only end badly.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:07 pm

zatoichi wrote:it says no mac v. pc debates in the forum rules, why are we having one? I really think we should just stop this thread before it ends in trouble. nobody's gonna suddenly go "oh my god, i've been wrong about macs/PCs my whole life, what was wrong with me?" this can only end badly.
HEATHEN

Oh and Ledood has a great point. Why would anyone want to run Mac OSx on a windows? Every program mac has, windows has too. What's there like, 3 games Mac has that windows doesn't?
And if it's about what feels better, that's a subjective arguement, you can't say the mac interface is better than windows (especially on the number of people who dislike Macs).

Kalexon
Kalexon

Post by Kalexon » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:49 pm

it says no mac v. pc debates in the forum rules, why are we having one? I really think we should just stop this thread before it ends in trouble. nobody's gonna suddenly go "oh my god, i've been wrong about macs/PCs my whole life, what was wrong with me?" this can only end badly.
Agreed, Admins, your thoughts on this?

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:10 am

I think it's ok to have a Mac vs. PC debate in its own thread. The problem is with people trolling other threads and derailing them. If everything can be concentrated here, it's ok.