Suggestion: Rabbit Hearing

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:00 pm

Ripples across your screen might ruin the realism of it, but either way, with ears like those, who needs minimaps :D

whiterabbit

Post by whiterabbit » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:24 pm

Zantalos , you wouldn't turn it on , it would just become "apparent".
It's more realism in my opinion , you can't focus on everything your ears are telling you while your active , like say fighting or running around.

so the hearing feature is more that , "While i'm not focusing on saving my skin or kicking ass why don't I listen around."

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:36 am

Whenever you're not doing something you tend to just listen, because, well, you can't really turn your ears off, can you???

And it's hard to focus on listening while someone is running at you with an axe, of course. :P

Kalexon
Kalexon

Post by Kalexon » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:39 am

Just my two cents:
How about we go with the "standing still you start the listen" thing, but once that happens instead of seeing wavy lines or crazy stuff like that, if there is anything interesting going on within earshot (fighting, running, walking, etc.) then you faintly hear it and your ears start pointing in that direction. But not like some crazy thing like if the sound is behind you your ears spin around to face the back of your head, more like they start pointing a bit towards the right or left until you spin around to face it, and the closer/far away the bearing you face the direction the sound is coming from the more louder/quieter the sound gets.
As I said, just my two cents.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:48 am

This may have been said...but what about if you hear better in the direction you're looking instead? So when you look around you hear what's in front of you better...gives you a "directional" enhanced hearing of some sort...

whiterabbit

Post by whiterabbit » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:07 am

you know what Kalexon, I think thats brilliant :)
although I think it would be better if the effect was clearer when you weren't doing anything.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:21 am

That's sort of what I said before, but yeah, that sounds like a great idea! :)

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:49 am

Kalexon wrote:Just my two cents:
How about we go with the "standing still you start the listen" thing, but once that happens instead of seeing wavy lines or crazy stuff like that, if there is anything interesting going on within earshot (fighting, running, walking, etc.) then you faintly hear it and your ears start pointing in that direction. But not like some crazy thing like if the sound is behind you your ears spin around to face the back of your head, more like they start pointing a bit towards the right or left until you spin around to face it, and the closer/far away the bearing you face the direction the sound is coming from the more louder/quieter the sound gets.
That's a good idea, it fits with Lugaru's philosophy of subtlety really well.

Kalexon
Kalexon

Post by Kalexon » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:01 am

Thanks. in terms of the subtlety that's what I was thinking because it's kind of out of place (please don't take this as a flame) to hit a button and have 'Rabbit's Sense is Tingling'

whiterabbit

Post by whiterabbit » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:57 am

hehehe no your right there , thats why i think it transformed into being activated when you stood around. and now it's not going to be crazy confusing! hopefully jeff and david will be like "Zomg awesome idea" *put in game*

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:08 am

Kalexon wrote:Just my two cents:
Good, this is what I was going for, animations are realistic enough to just happen. Having ripples or anything like that, would create the same problems of a HUD, by being a distraction. I didn't want to just flat out repeat it again, because, I said it really bad the first time. Like, they just annoy me the way they sound, such as this post is going to annoy me in a couple of months too-- somehow. I dunno, it's wierd.
Zantalo wrote:Or it could be like radar, when you fight in enemy, or when Turner hears an enemy, his ears perk up. They'll point in the direction of the sound, however they can. If it's from the front, they'll twitch and then point forward, they'll lean and point towards things that are coming from the side, sounds from behind- they'll get real low and cave in for incoming sound to pass through, just like real ears (dog ears at least, mine don't do that yet...). I use this alot in those Vigilante games, you'll get like an auto aiming turret and you follow where it's pointing to, to reach whatever enemy it's aiming at. Cept ears would make more sense because he'd hear them.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:06 am

HUD is good, but not in games like Lugaru, so yes, it would be good not to have ripples across your screen.

James M

Post by James M » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:37 pm

What you hear should be holophonic - http://www.holophonic.ch/archivio/testa ... phonic.mp3

Listen to that while wearing headphones, it sounds as if its completly 3D...
Imagine that in Lugaru!

whiterabbit

Post by whiterabbit » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:41 am

holophonic = awesome.

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:16 am

OMG That was scary :shock:
James M wrote:What you hear should be holophonic
Couldn't agree more. I hope it's possible..