Overgrowth - Random Idea Dumping Thread

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:03 am

Grayswandir wrote:Following the garroting (garotting?) wire idea...what about sneaking up behind someone, wrapping a rope/wire/cord around their neck...then booting them off of a cliff so they hang by their neck...
Oooh...or that weapon that's a long cord that has two weights on the end that you swing around your head and wrap it around someone's ankles when you throw it...can't remember what it's called...
Did-i-forget-to-say-that-when-garroting-some-one-you-need-to-Get-them-off-the-feet-or-Unbalance-them-so-they-fall-into-the-wire.
there-weight-will-hang-them.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:10 am

Grayswandir wrote:Oooh...or that weapon that's a long cord that has two weights on the end that you swing around your head and wrap it around someone's ankles when you throw it...can't remember what it's called...
A bola?

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:49 am

David wrote:
NickD wrote::P I dont really check for grammar, but I guess I'll do that anyways too. Thanks?
I wasn't counting grammar errors, just spelling :)
Just so you know, spelling is a part of what grammar is. Grammar encompasses all the aspects involved with creating and structuring sentences, i.e. punctuaton, spelling etc.

MacWiggy
troll on timeout

Post by MacWiggy » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:29 pm

Yay! I'm back! what did I miss?

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:51 pm

Not much, you were away for 6 days..

NickD
Charlotte Brontë

Post by NickD » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:22 pm

I know that. but I call stuff like "wouldn(')t" grammar, not spelling :P, so thats why I said grammar. I barely ever use apostrophes, because they're not really necessary unless you're using the word "you" with plural and stuff that actually NEEDS it. :shock: And welcome back, MacWiggy!

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:12 pm

Colicedus wrote:
Grayswandir wrote:Following the garroting (garotting?) wire idea...what about sneaking up behind someone, wrapping a rope/wire/cord around their neck...then booting them off of a cliff so they hang by their neck...
Oooh...or that weapon that's a long cord that has two weights on the end that you swing around your head and wrap it around someone's ankles when you throw it...can't remember what it's called...
Did-i-forget-to-say-that-when-garroting-some-one-you-need-to-Get-them-off-the-feet-or-Unbalance-them-so-they-fall-into-the-wire.
there-weight-will-hang-them.
Yeah but I was thinking of like hanging them off a cliff kinda thing...not just unbalancing them...

And yes BunnywithStick...That's what I meant. :twisted:

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:39 pm

BunnyWithStick wrote:
Grayswandir wrote:Oooh...or that weapon that's a long cord that has two weights on the end that you swing around your head and wrap it around someone's ankles when you throw it...can't remember what it's called...
A bola?
Being Argentinian, I have to agree with the bola suggestion. Better yet, there could be an ostrich-hunting minigame.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:41 am

wormguy wrote:
BunnyWithStick wrote:
A bola?
Being Argentinian, I have to agree with the bola suggestion. Better yet, there could be an ostrich-hunting minigame.
Giant-Ostrichs!
yayar.
(imganins-turner-Juping-on-its-head-and-stabbing-it-in-between-the-vertabry-and-leaks-spinal-fluid-everywhere)
I-like-it!
:twisted:

eastshore4

Post by eastshore4 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:49 pm

just wanted to throw some ideas in here... I I posted some ideas a while back but I've refined them a bit more:

-can we get a crosshair for throwing knives? i think that would make it more balanced for multiplayer (if you include it), and generally more rewarding.

-more in-air moves. I'd think a jump kick would be pretty resourceful, and I think you should get more kudos for "death from aboves", it's a move that requires more precision the higher/farther you are, I think you should be justly awarded for your skill.

-this is sorta random, but possibly include a mode where people can just screw around a la "garry's mod"?

-varied missions/enemies. i wouldn't mind some different objectives (stealth missions!), and I think it would be cool if possibly you added a new kind of enemy, or made the rabbits weaker, so you could have enemies that are a threat en masse, and enemies that require solo concentration

-this suggestion probably = programmers hell, but it would be amazing if you could make it so we could jump from tree-to-tree around the enviroment.

-promote this sucker! i was seriously dissapointed when this game didn't make a "top 10 independent games" list, and I think there's alot of potential for #2, I think you should try to promote this game as much as possible!

that's all for now

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:15 pm

The limb disabling from SOS...now that would be cool...might be kinda hard though if there isn't something like a bow and arrow to aim with.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:18 pm

I don't think crosshairs for knives will be implemented, but it might be good to have the closest enemy to the crosshair targeted, and the closer it is to the enemy, the more chance of hitting the knife has, and also the different parts of the body that would be targeted. (Mainly just my own suggestion here)

I can do death from above moves pretty easily in L1, from pretty much any distance within range.

Multiplayer mod servers would be pretty good, if that's what you mean.

You already can jump from tree to tree in L1! (Just use walljumps on the trees, you can continue this about 2 or 3 times)

NickD
Charlotte Brontë

Post by NickD » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:53 pm

:x

eastshore4

Post by eastshore4 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:26 am

BunnyWithStick wrote:I don't think crosshairs for knives will be implemented, but it might be good to have the closest enemy to the crosshair targeted, and the closer it is to the enemy, the more chance of hitting the knife has, and also the different parts of the body that would be targeted. (Mainly just my own suggestion here)
that sounds good, but i think it would be sorta hard to target different body parts with this game's frenetic pace, and say hypothetically there is multiplayer... i think it would be sorta cheap to have the auto-aim system. when I play L1, the enemies will sometimes do that dodge move when I throw my knife, but because it auto-tracks them even when they're flipping, I can sometimes still hit them.
I can do death from above moves pretty easily in L1, from pretty much any distance within range.
and shouldn't you be rewarded moreso for it? when I do one from the farthest possible range, it should be able to take them out IMO.
Multiplayer mod servers would be pretty good, if that's what you mean.
i was really sorta just thinking of like a "playground" area where you could spawn enemies and props and such, and just fudge around, i don't know if that's the same as a multiplayer mod or not
You already can jump from tree to tree in L1! (Just use walljumps on the trees, you can continue this about 2 or 3 times)
yeah I know, but I think it'd be cooler if there was a sorta "fluid" system I guess you could say. you ever play the spiderman games? something like the web slinging portions, but uhh... with tree hopping instead.
[/quote]
Last edited by eastshore4 on Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

eastshore4

Post by eastshore4 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:50 am

i'm double-posting here... hope that isn't frowned upon, but I didn't want to make a really large post. I have more ideas!

-i mentioned a jump kick before, and I figured it would be cool to expand on in-air moves. first of all, I think either one of the previous moves should be modified or a new move should be created that can vault your enemy into the air. from there you have a few options: (this is where things get sorta complicated, if anyone is interested in what I'm talking about, I might be able to render some example animations)
-jump kick them (space bar followed quickly by a mouse click)
-do an in-air throw (press shift to do a flip in the air, and you click the mouse halfway through)
-or instead of an in-air throw, maybe you could do a pile-driver or something (same keypresses)

-maybe more platforming elements? he IS able to leap long distances, wall jump, hang from ledges, and roll after all...

-more uses for fire. it was fun to stand by the fire and reverse enemies into it, but it didn't have much of a function aside from that, except for killing me. i think there should be a way that you can implement the fire as a weapon, maybe a torch or something? you can throw it, or use it to light some bushes on fire for a bit of strategy. Imagine being able to lure your enemy to sortie in a circle of flames

now I have a quick question to the developer... I saw the video of the rabbit running around, and I noticed that you redesigned the legs. I understand that they're more rabbit-like now, but are things like roundhouses, kicks, and the like really going to look decent with that design? i'm just curious really, i'm sure it'll look fine, but the vision I have in my head makes moves like that seem really awkward given the new design of the legs.