additions to the combat system (Lugaru)

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:50 am

BunnyWithStick wrote:Games that actually encourage you to do that suck even more.
That's just ignorant. A game sucks because you're able to bash certain buttons to break out of a pin? Well done with the whole "making sense" thing.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:44 pm

Button mashing is ok for console games, because the controller is designed to take it, but for a computer game that can break your keyboard.

Albab
This title is part one ...

Post by Albab » Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:59 pm

I agree. Also, I think that sort of points out where you're going to go with this whole saving throws thing, at least a little.

whiterabbit

Post by whiterabbit » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:30 am

i like the idea of "learn through use" idea, RL fact for you , it takes about 1000 repetitions of the same physical actions for it to no longer focused thought but rather become choice.

what do i mean?
well focused is you saying to your self "punch punch punch punch punch kick kick kick kick" *does move while thinking to self*
and choice is : *does move*

so I think a learning combo idea would be wonderful as long as it had the horrible grind and slow gains attached to it , it would be wonderful to see different combos (even if they are only faster combonations of normal moves) in multiplayer.

GaGrin

Post by GaGrin » Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:36 pm

As far as saving throws go - don't the counter-reversals sort of count as that anyway? Why make it more complex?

Has Character Development been confirmed? Its seems to be synonimus with CRPGs now - I think its kind of sad that everyone refers to character development as the "RPG element" of a game :(

So long as I have choice, clear goals (but not necessarily straight-forward ones) and I feel immersed in the story and the action therin - that is IMHO more of an RPG than say, the Final Fantasy games - or even Diablo.

MMOs are boarderline, some do at least give you choice. EVE is a brilliant example of how to do an online rpg, infact I think its currently the only game I've played that can truely hold that title.

How does this link into Combat? - Um...

I honestly don't want to have to worry about how skilled turner is.

I would much rather just have to think about keeping him in good shape and worrying about my own skill.

I think that learning new techniques and fighting styles is fine, so long as they don't mean i have to look at a list and try to min-max my fighting style based on my opponent meaning I spend 10% of my time in a sodding menu.

Now thats an extreme example and I seriously doubt any of that will come to pass, I'm just voicing my own opinions and worries before they start working on the core of the CharDev - if it even exists.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:12 pm

Character development will probably apply mostly to equipment and relations with other characters; as you progress you can retrieve more powerful weapons and gain more powerful allies, and possibly learn more varied fighting styles. However you won't ever have to confront a big statistics screen and have to decide where to allocate points, or anything like that.

GaGrin

Post by GaGrin » Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:37 pm

Sounds good to me :)

In regards to weapon power - i assume that while there will be weaker and stronger weapons they will all have uniqu advantages/disadvantages per the original game?

Not quite sure why I'm asking to be honest - I'm certain that this will be the case as even the simple three weapons in Lugaru all had their own quirks.

Anyway, thankyou for the quick reply, it made my evening to see two replies to my posts in as many minutes :D

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:00 am

GaGrin wrote:As far as saving throws go - don't the counter-reversals sort of count as that anyway? Why make it more complex?

Has Character Development been confirmed? Its seems to be synonimus with CRPGs now - I think its kind of sad that everyone refers to character development as the "RPG element" of a game :(
Saving-throws-whould-be-a-lot-diferent.
Conter-reversals-and-reversals-are-to-block-and-such.
Saving-throws-are-to-shake-Harmful-things.
To-help-turner-get-out-of-a-Riot-of-wolfs.

And-i-have-never-understood-what-people-ment-by-RPG-games.
RPG-comes-from-the-term-Role-play.
Role-playing-is-like-acting.
There-is-nothing-to-do-with-acting-in-it.
I-have-been-told-it-comes-from-the-game-D&D-the-Pen-and-paper-Role-playing-game.
you-play-the-game-with-dice-and-the-thought-of-a-persons-personalaty.
the-Dungeon-master/Game-master-tells-the-story.

Explain-why-they-call-Final-fantasy-RPG?

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:07 am

I just don't like games that actually have a specific function for button mashing, period.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:42 am

Final Fantasy is pretty much a role playing game because you take on the role of a group of adventurers, use them to fight and make them evolve into strong combatants through rigorous fighting, customise their every combat aspect, and in some cases choose how they respond and choose who they talk to. This is pretty much why I can see they are called an RPG. That's the title they've been given, so I never turned into a little moaner and complained about it.

zatoichi

Post by zatoichi » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:03 pm

Colicedus wrote:Saving-throws-whould-be-a-lot-diferent.
Conter-reversals-and-reversals-are-to-block-and-such.
Saving-throws-are-to-shake-Harmful-things.
To-help-turner-get-out-of-a-Riot-of-wolfs.
I thinks thats kind of unrealistic and would take away from the game. you're stupid enough to get yourself trapped in a crowd of wolves, you should die.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:46 pm

Well-thats-how-i-fight.
Take-on-everyone-and-take-them-down-while-i-am-at-it.
some-times-tho...
I-get-cought-between-7-of-the-bastards-and-Get-the-Stuffing-smashed-out-of-me.

Mind-you-I-am-a-Crazy-Fighter. :twisted:

invertin

Post by invertin » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:26 am

The fighting system is good already, Play lugaru for a few hours, then imagine the same thing again with lugaru2 graphics. Thats MORE than enough for me. The only thing I don't like about the fighting is the weapons, we need more weapons moves instead of just the slash or wham.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:25 pm

Just a Thought, i think something Similar has already been said before.
I know this is more Buttons, but I don't care. hitting a button that will allow Turn action. how ever, Give it a Cool down timer of 15 Minutes. This Could be good for those of you who want to Hit a Precise spot on the enemy. This Could allow you to Stealth Kill some one By Jumping on there Shoulders, Slide a Knife Though there face and then Kick there Shoulders with you're Heel and then Slice them Open.
It will then Replay it in game time, any background Interference will Cancel it out. it Could be Used to Dodge Some Nasty Attacks. You would have to time the Button Right and then Do the Toribash system of Contracting Limbs. Then again, it may not work. but Include it in Debug mode or Something. maybe a Mode with a Sword where your Mouse Becomes the blade control. You can Slice people at will and block how you want. then press a button to leave that mode.

This maybe Good for Times when you want a Guys Head and it did not come off.

Oh Yea, Can we Use Heads as Throwing Objects in L2?

tallyl.iii

Post by tallyl.iii » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:36 pm

Colicedus wrote:Oh Yea, Can we Use Heads as Throwing Objects in L2?
How about arms as clubs?