Developer Q&A

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Silverfish

Developer Q&A

Post by Silverfish » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:45 am

The Q&A video is now available for your viewing.

[+] Original post
We're planning on making another developer Q&A video soon and are now taking questions! Post your questions here, email them to [email protected] or tweet them @ogweekly.

Thank you!

Rynamite

Re: Developer Q&A questions

Post by Rynamite » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:46 am

Which devs have which roles?

Crystalwarrior

Post by Crystalwarrior » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:32 am

oh boy here we go
  1. Will Overgrowth Campaign have impactful choices? As in, will you be able to make decisions like "non-lethal run" or "no enemies alerted", and will those decisions affect the story progression?
  2. Is animal run planned?
  3. And, speaking of combat animations, are you planning on adding new combat styles depending on species and/or character script params? So Dogs wouldn't be kickboxers but employ more straight-up boxing, for example.
  4. Adding to the combat animations, will you implement more parkour-and-agility-related moves? Like the walljump kick in Lugaru (though less awkward execution pls :( )
  5. Will you add the ability for enemies to grab you from mid-air to slam you down into the ground? (Lugaru)
  6. When will the Blender scripts be updated to the latest version??? >:(
  7. Are you planning on creating new (free or cheap-ish) DLC campaigns after Overgrowth campaign is done to extend the game's longevity?
  8. Will Overgrowth source code be released at any point? If not, will we have technical examinations of the engine for those of us who want to learn more about it?
  9. Is bow and arrow seen in https://youtu.be/JPsvLu3Z0lU planned? Adding to that, will we get more utility items like spyglass as seen in the comics? Perhaps an icepick to extend the ledge-grabbing range and latch on to surfaces?
  10. Will weapon combat be expanded at any point in the future?
  11. Will more throws be added to the combat? Perhaps based on direction of movement?
  12. AND MOST IMPORTANTLY... will Whaleman become a Shadow of the Colossus-esque boss fight!?!?!?

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:20 pm

1. Will Overgrowth's campaign be set on Lugaru?
2. How 'deep'/detailed will Overgrowth's lore be?
3. How will Medium/Easy difficulty play? Any plans and/or points of comparison?
4. When will Therium-2 be released?

edoantonioco

Post by edoantonioco » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:27 pm

1. After releasing the game, are you still planning to add new features to the engine? Or to support Opengl 3.3 or 4.x?
2. Have you ever thought about making another game after overgrowth using the same engine?
3. The nintendo switch, other than Vulkan, also officially supports OpenGL. So, Have you ever though about supporting it if its succesful enough?
4. Are you tired to be working on the same project for so long and want to stop with it as soon as possible?

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:56 pm

Timbles wrote:4. When will Therium-2 be released?
Are you trying to worm your way into the Q&A? lol

halzoid
Location: Somewhere within the Universe... Might take a while to find me though.

Post by halzoid » Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:02 pm

1. Are there plans to further support community modding once the game is completed or will you be moving onto new projects (or even taking a well deserved lie down)

2. Have you considered any further graphical improvements for the engine? (more post processing effects, parallax textures and the like...)

3. It seems like the OG campaign is feakin' huge based on the amount of level files, just how large will it be and how long after Lugaru is it planned to be set? (a.k.a. is Turner still pissed?)

4. When the game is further into development will you aim for more performance enhancements? (such as lowest LoD models, environment culling...)

5. I don't think I've seen this anywhere, but what was the thought process for the name "Overgrowth"? It's a pretty big change from "Lugaru 2"

6. How are you doing?
[YOUR ANSWER]
Oh really... nice...
[YOUR ANSWER]
haha, yeah, me too!
[YOUR ANSWER]
Yes, you're absolutely right I am running out of questions...

7. How do you make your assets? Do you go out and take pictures for textures? Are all animations created by hand?

I think I'm all outta questions, check back next time, I'll see if I have more spare...

Fwiller

Post by Fwiller » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:17 pm

Are there any planned features that the community does not know about yet?

Jarvoid

Post by Jarvoid » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:16 pm

1. Is there any plans for some more immersive combat? Like different ways to take down different types of enemies, besides from the wolves' "pray to god and spam leg cannon" strategy.

2. I don't have many hours on Overgrowth due to the game not having a lot of playability right now, there's lots of different user maps that are okay, but do you guys plan on creating any more creator-quality levels that showcase some of the different mechanics of the game? Stuff like obstacle courses or some interesting recreation of a classic platformer in the overgrowth engine.

3. Are the current weapons in the game bound to stay the same? Or do you guys have any ideas for other weapon mechanics that could make the over-all product a bit more immersive. Something like a rope that you could use in many different circumstances, such as: pulling around a ragdoll for story purposes, climbing down a certain cliff that would be too high to jump from, something besides the basic "stabby stabby throw" weapons and tools we have access to now.

4. Could you guys specify an estimated release date if possible? If not, I'd be fully happy with a "for sure before 2K--".

5. Are you all doing okay yourselves? As much as I'd love for the game to be finished soon, I don't want any of you to overwork yourselves or find reason to rush the game / damage yourselves because of it. Take your time if you really need to, I'm looking forward it it's release.

-- I really love this game so far and I'm excited to see what comes along with it, I wish you guys good luck in completing it and making everything you all hope it will be.

DoctorGester

Post by DoctorGester » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:59 pm

4. Could you guys specify an estimated release date if possible? If not, I'd be fully happy with a "for sure before 2K--".
Pretty sure the release date is set to a few months from now.

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:03 pm

DoctorGester wrote:
Pretty sure the release date is set to a few months from now.
I confirm this. It is within a few months from now.

Source - http://www.pcgamer.com/after-eight-year ... a-release/
Now, all that’s left for Rosen is to finish the Overgrowth campaign, which he plans to release within a few months.

darkslayer49

Post by darkslayer49 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:59 am

Will the races in overgrowth have the clothing/armour as shown in the concept art released a couple of months ago on the blog?

DoctorGester

Post by DoctorGester » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:37 pm

Are we gonna see more character/weapon/armor models? More gameplay animations/moves?

Bugiros

Post by Bugiros » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:14 am

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... BB6D2C4CFA

This playlist will be featured in the game in the Overgrowth campaign?

Constance
Overgrowth Modder Deluxe

Post by Constance » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:39 pm

Some more questions from me:
  • 5. Is magic a thing in Overgrowth's lore at all?
    6. Are there any features you'd like to implement, but can't because of certain constraints? If so, what are those constraints?
    7. What are some games you've been playing lately?
    8. Is there an explanation for why the crete blocks grow over time (besides being made of cats*)?
    9. Will there be more female character models (particularly a female version of the guard)?
* The normal kind.