Saving and checkpoints

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
GiantMouse

Saving and checkpoints

Post by GiantMouse » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:30 pm

First I will say, this is an amazing game you are creating! ^.^ the fight mechanics are very well done and the movement feels so nice and fast!

I don't know if many already suggested this but the only problem that I had playing through the Lagaru campaign was you couldn't quick save. This made any levels you had multiple enemies that you had to face simply time consuming. You sneak killed a few and if you failed on any still left you have to start all over. This can take some fun away having to redo the same enemies over and over.

I can understand if how the game is set up would make it too hard to input a quick save button allowing you to revert back to it at any time. I figured I mention about it because that help a lot of having to fight some of those crazy hard levels when it hard enough to take out the first few patrolling enemies and then fail on the last one and then keep having to redo it all again XD so not a complaint on the difficulty because that is fine having the fun of a challenge :) but would be a great help to progress on a level when you already done the first part over too many times and you just want to get through the last part of the level XD

Again great game! I been having fun with the ability to play ninja and simply having the arena allowing you to just keep fighting having fun looking like your doing crazy martial arts ^.^ and being a bunny XD

halzoid
Location: Somewhere within the Universe... Might take a while to find me though.

Re: Saving and checkpoints

Post by halzoid » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:45 am

I agree that levels can be difficult without checkpoints, but by the time the official Overgrowth campaign is released with the game, checkpoints will have been fully implemented. Currently checkpoints work well and can spawn and delete enemies as you enter them, which improves performance as well as saving time.
The Overgrowth campaign missions are a lot longer than the Lugaru missions, so checkpoints were a necessity.

merlyn

Post by merlyn » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:11 pm

halzoid wrote:I agree that levels can be difficult without checkpoints, but by the time the official Overgrowth campaign is released with the game, checkpoints will have been fully implemented. Currently checkpoints work well and can spawn and delete enemies as you enter them, which improves performance as well as saving time.
The Overgrowth campaign missions are a lot longer than the Lugaru missions, so checkpoints were a necessity.
We felt checkpoints were justifiable in one or two spots in the Lugaru campaign (raider sentries, mostly), but chose to lower the difficulty a bit instead (instead of 1, 2, 3, enemies on each tower it's now 1, 2, 1). We also chose to move forward and focus on the new campaign instead of dwelling on the Lugaru campaign port.

User triggered quick save would be theoretically possible, but would strip all difficulty from the game. It would also be a lot of work, when we'd prefer to spend that time making sure the difficulty was correct to begin with.

GiantMouse

Post by GiantMouse » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:45 pm

O sure :) Thank you for replying on this! I did manage to play through Lugaru campaign which was a lot of fun :D I understand not going forward on that and sounds great you worked out checkpoints in the new campaign. Good it helped lowering the difficulty ^.^ which by the way, is there a hidden level in Lugaru campaign? I completed the levels I could but I can see one more box as if there one last level? However was fun levels to play :)

I'm fine with only checkpoints if that how it saving. It how the game looks to be set up best for with all the fast fighting because I can see what you mean that it would take all that difficulty away being able to save at any moment. Also from not knowing how you code a game like that I can only guess how hard it would to program that in the game XD

I can tell Wolfire games have been working very well on this. I remember when the game was in alpha it used to have problems simply running either lagged or crashed randomly XD now runs smoothly and such crazy fun with the fighting! Congrats on a great game, I enjoy it! :D