Wii!

Anything else
invertin

Post by invertin » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:32 pm

For a chocolate bar?... Time for a quote
invertin wrote:You also remind me of someone I know though... I wonder... Do you like fire?
...Do you?

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:57 pm

Okay, today I checked out Zelda and I'm liking it. Controls are totally okay. The game itself is great, although I think it's a bit strange to see a new 3D action adventure title without dubbing. I can handle it though.

Overall, the game is really sweet and I like the graphics and gameplay, it's a very good title imho. The only thing I didn't like was the amount of HDR and blurring - I generally don't like those effects, they make games look like 3ds max tutorial renderings or something like that. They really went over the top in some scenes with HDR if you ask me. But I can ignore that, and if I do, I see a title that should stand as a good example for developing Wii control schemes. Right next to Wii Sports, of course :)

What I'm really looking forward to is playing a more advanced golf title, like a part of the Tiger Woods series, on the Wii. I really enjoy playing golf on the PC already, but with the Wii controller, it's something else, especially with other people to compete with. Hopefully we'll see a good golf title for the Wii, that would actually probably make me buy one of these shiny timewasters.

Mike_Cuzins
Twitch

Post by Mike_Cuzins » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:22 pm

ZELDA ON WII WAS A DISSAPOINTMENT! may as well play it on N64!
the only good part that lived up to my expectations were you use the controller to aim ranged weapons, other than that, the controllers were useless.

When it comes to sword fighting, i expected the controler would control HOW the blade swept around, etc, but instead, all you can do is wigggle the controller and he does a generic attack, wiggle the other controller and he does a spin attack. end of story.
The other games are brilliant though.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:33 pm

Zelda was designed for Gamecube, and then adapted to the Wii; that is why it does not take advantage of the controllers as much as it could have. However, I think it was a very good idea for them to implement most of the standard controls using the standard analog stick and buttons, and then use motion sensing to control sword attacks ; it really adds to the change of pace between exploration and fighting.

Mike_Cuzins
Twitch

Post by Mike_Cuzins » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:36 pm

yeh thats true, and how the attacks are sort of fuent with your movement, so it oesnt feel like you ever stop moving. I love attacking things on the horse. ride past slash, repeat. still, i was expecting alot more from that game.

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:07 pm

Mike_Cuzins wrote:yeh thats true, and how the attacks are sort of fuent with your movement, so it oesnt feel like you ever stop moving. I love attacking things on the horse. ride past slash, repeat. still, i was expecting alot more from that game.
How did Zelda disappoint you? That's one of the best games I've ever played, and I was expecting a lot from it.

Mike_Cuzins
Twitch

Post by Mike_Cuzins » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:36 pm

They made the character control appear much more dynamic on TV :(
so i picked up the controller and got ready for a workout. Instead I ended up sitting on the couch wiggling my hands every now and then. thats what i mean.

they graphics story and all that other jizz is really good (although nothing beats ocarina of time)

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:15 pm

the controls are really as big as you want them to be; if you want to actually pretend to draw your sword from your back and thwack monsters with it, it will detect that and it will work. If you want to play it like a standard console game, that will work too. They are trying to appeal to the broadest market possible with the Wii.

Mike_Cuzins
Twitch

Post by Mike_Cuzins » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:19 pm

they have done a pretty good job at it, i know 40 year olds owning a wii. i personally dont have one, but i have played on them many a time at friends places.

to get a 2nd controller is 100 bucks, i dunno how that compares to other console controllers, but to me, that sounds like a lot haha.

P.S. They made the right move, aiming for gameplay instead of xtreme graphics power, like xbox and playstation. I think there is a lesson in that for all of us.

its not the size but how you use it hahaha. but seriously.

leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:13 pm

Mike_Cuzins wrote: so i picked up the controller and got ready for a workout. Instead I ended up sitting on the couch wiggling my hands every now and then. thats what i mean.
Lol, if you want a workout then go to the gym. It's a game system for crying out loud, you're not supposed to get a workout unless you play something that was meant to be a workout like DDR! The game isn't supposed to be a workout, it's supposed to be an adventure game. Aaaahrrghh, you fail at recognizing the focus of a game. :evil:

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:30 pm

The Focus of a game is to have fun...

Imagines Dead Rising on Wii.
I wonder if that could work? :|

invertin

Post by invertin » Thu Dec 21, 2006 2:39 am

Dead rising... I guess the chainsaw is your weapon of choice?
It might work on wii, I never played dead rising so I don't know if there are anything to stop the wii.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:00 am

Actually My choice would be a Stack of diner plates, and the Sledgehammer, Chainsaw if there are too many :P .

invertin

Post by invertin » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:16 am

If I ha played dead rising, I would use coat hanger and lawnmower....

Zaphon

Post by Zaphon » Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:37 pm

Dead Rising could work on the Wii. I've played it on the 360, it's awesome!
Might get a bit repetive after a while though.
In Wii Rising (:P) you could swing the controller to swing whatever object you were holding, and if you want to throw it (Like you can with most weapons in the 360 version), you hold down a button and perform a throwing motion with the controller. And of course, aiming guns would work pretty well.
But then there's the fact that the Wii is not nearly as powerful as the 360. :'<
So I doubt you would be able to witness the sight of a shambling, decaying ocean of zombies. That's something I'd miss in a Wii version, the number of zombies onscreen would be significantly decreased.
Unless they were really low-detailed. I guess that could work. ;P

Oh, and on the subject of Twilight Princess; it is one of the best games I've played. I love it, it gives me this warm, fuzzy feeling inside.
Of course, it's probably a lot of nostalgia that gets me, which is intentional.
The game is like a big love letter to all Zelda fans.
And all gamers, really!
I think swinging the remote to emulate sword swinging is much more immersive and intense than simply pressing a button. And aiming the bow feels great. I could go on and on about this, so I guess I'll shut up now.

PS: Wii Sports is awesome! Really great fun to play with friends.