What people belive is true on these forums

Anything else
BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:15 pm

Even so, the mental plane exists by proof, as it symbolises anything existing in the minds and beliefs of anyone in the universe.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:56 pm

Ok, so the spiritual plane is the same as the mental plane, which is simply defined as whatever you imagine.

tallyl.iii

Post by tallyl.iii » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:15 pm

I consider myself to be scientifically agnostic. That is, I am atheistic until given scientifically acceptable proof that I am wrong. I think it would be wrong and horribly close-minded of me to consider myself intelligent or wise enough to assume that I can determine the workings of the universe myself and that it is vain to, as a race, to consider ourselves intelligent enough as a group to deduce the method of this universe. However, I believe the pursuit of this knowledge to be one of the most noble tasks one can assign to oneself, and that we should not resign ourselves from curiosity and explain the currently inexplicable by nothing other than the "incomprehesible greatness and wisdom of God" and therefore halt scientific discovery because the universe's infinite mystery deserves our eternal respect, but never our personifying worship. This I believe, for the mysterious and misunderstood, like the human body, can only be truly understood by slicing it open and gutting it.

Also, I believe in fate much in the way that GaGrin defined it. That we have control and the ability to make decisions other than those we make but that we won't, and that, as complex a creature as we are, we would never make a decision different from the way it was made if we were placed in the exact same situation with the same circumstances and knowledge.

The aforementioned beliefs are subject to change and openly admitted to being naïve. :P
Last edited by tallyl.iii on Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:16 pm

Not quite, the mental plane is whatever anyone in the universe believes and thinks, and the spiritual plane is more of a void for physical objects or people or creatures that someone believes in.

Essentially, I believe that anything one being or religion believes in exists in one plane or another. They are also tied to the believer(s) in such a way that those believing in heaven or hell may indeed go there when they die, according to their own beliefs.

Kalexon
Kalexon

Post by Kalexon » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:18 pm

Like most young people today, I find it hard to believe in god, in any form. What really gets me about God is that we have creation storys in the bible and other scriptures which are really just the latest creation myths, but what gets me when people worship these passages as if they were written by God, when they were really written by people with faith in God.

What ticks me off though also is people who worship scientific theorys as if it was a faith.

So, in a nutshell: I believe that there is a higher power, but I don't see why the only thing it can be is god, for all anyone knows it/he/she could not be a being at all, but here on our own little Earth what my faith rests in is the physical things around me.
Seeing as how Evolution has been proven and is the best theory as of now I find myself being an Evolutionist I guess.
As for an after life, meh, no idea, if there isn't, expected, if there is, great. Depending on what type of after life/lives it is.
And lastly I don't believe that people that don't believe the same thing I do will spend an eternity chained to brim stone and tortured by little red men with pointy hair weilding tridents.

Albab
This title is part one ...

Post by Albab » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:56 pm

People always think I'm schizophrenic when I tell my beliefs... Ah well, here we go, anyway:

We live in one particular dimension. This is what you see, hear, smell, ect. You also, usually, are thinking in this dimension. But you aren't tied permanently to this dimension; the only thing holding you from seeing the others (peeking through the curtain, I think it's referred to) is the blockers in you brain which keep you from seeing these. You can see others through various methods, such as: Transcendental meditation, Drumming, lucid dreaming, and, yes, Psychedelic and Dissociative drugs. I also believe that ghosts, goblins, that sort of thing, are all from other dimensions. H.P. Lovecraft actually shared these beliefs, which I find rather cool, since I only found this out after coming to the same conclusion. He worked it into his stories, as well. Anyway, I think god is a being that's connected to more than one dimension. I don't think you should worship it, though, anymore than just respecting the planet.

Edit: I have to add, however, that though I believe this, I came to this conclusion through examining reports of people on various drugs, meditations, drum trips, et cetera. That is to say, my beliefs aren't so much beliefs as they are scientific observations, with the exception of the higher entity. The higher entity is... I don't know, it's the life force of everything. Not a supernatural being, and possibly just metaphorical. Hell, it could just be some alien superintelligence or something. I don't pretend to know.

invertin

Post by invertin » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:47 am

Kalexon wrote:Evolution has been proven
There are alot of flaws with evolution, for instance, if you evolve to suit your situation then why is it that birds can fly? And why are there many different types of animal, if they adabted to the desert they should have adapted the same way. Instead of one becoming a camel and the other a lion.

I don't know what I believe, I just wait for death and see what happens then. Many scientists are happy that everything was created by science, but I'm afraid of that, because if that is true then not only is more than half the earth wrong, but when you die then thats it..

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:51 am

These multiple dimensions could be interpreted as multiple physical planes.

Also, your version of god could be interpreted as a higher power existing in all planes of existence at once.

Sorry for interpreting everything, but it's pretty much the basis of my beliefs.

And to Invertin:

It makes you wonder where souls go when they can't stay where they are. (ie: their host dies) Technically, they could even end up residing in a living rock in some 33124th plane of existence at some time!

Albab

Post by Albab » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:09 am

I have absolutely no interest in arguing. I just do what works for me. :D
Also, re-incarnation, I think, might be possible. But I think it's the electro-magnetic pattern of your personality and such moving on to a new... shell?

mm. Yeah. Anyway, matrix ripped off ghost in the shell like hardcore. xD

Albab

Post by Albab » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:10 am

Evolution is as beautifully perfect and flawless as anything else in nature. The reason birds fly is because either their prey was easier to catch while they could fly, or because they were harder to catch themselves whilst in flight. I think the second one makes more sense.

invertin

Post by invertin » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:24 am

Animals are supposed to adapt to their situation and terrain, like camels have humps because they live in deserts. Birds shouldn't have adapted to flying because they couldn't fly before that, hence the problem in evolution. Besides evolution hasn't been proved, it's just a theory.

Albab

Post by Albab » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:51 am

Bullshit. You can SEE that it's true. I mean, seriously, if anything is proven, it's evolution. There's nothing about it that doesn't work. Dinosaurs started growing wings... There's a fossil record there. It PROVES that birds evolved.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:59 am

invertin wrote:Animals are supposed to adapt to their situation and terrain, like camels have humps because they live in deserts. Birds shouldn't have adapted to flying because they couldn't fly before that, hence the problem in evolution. Besides evolution hasn't been proved, it's just a theory.
Good lord, please take a biology class.

Kalexon
Kalexon

Post by Kalexon » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:02 am

It's old but I remember reading this one study that showed how bats evolved. Basicly what happened bats would perch in trees and snatch bugs out of the air, but as they needed longer arms to snatch bugs farther and farther away, also early bats probably attempted flight to try to grab an escaping snack, added to the fact that there are usualy more bugs flying around in the air then hovering around a tree, but then I don't really know a whole lot about insects so don't quote me on that. These combined all = wings, enabling flight.

As for the camel vs. lion thing, it's simple. As animals moved into hotter climates as you say, then they evolved. Why they didn't evolve into the same animal is simple: They were not all the same height, weight, and didn't share the same diet. So they evolved to mesh both the way they had survived in the past and how to adapt to the new climate, y'know, sort of like we do. I don't know why people argue over the theory of animals adapting to suit a new climate when we are the most adaptable creatures on this planet, and that's why we are the dominate speices, and how we spread out of Africa to Eurasia(sp) North and South America, and Australia.

P.S. I don't want a whole "Evolution Sucks" "Evolution Rulz" flame fight to start over something I posted.

invertin

Post by invertin » Sun Dec 31, 2006 2:16 am

Kalexon wrote:P.S. I don't want a whole "Evolution Sucks" "Evolution Rulz" flame fight to start over something I posted.
Right, sorry. It doesn't matter what people say though I still don't believe in evolution.