Overgrowth - Random Idea Dumping Thread

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
leDoOd
What custom title?

Post by leDoOd » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:16 am

It'd be nice if, instead of the randomness of guilds and factions as in Oblivion, something like being in one guild with prohibit you being in another guild, but if you went to the other guild in secret you could gain more missions that would require being a double agent, or something. Just, a guild shouldn't be for just missions and gold, there should be something else there as well to keep you loyal to the guild.

tallyl.iii

Post by tallyl.iii » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:31 am

I'd love it, but I think it's unrealistically complex and overall a waste of time when the battle system should be the focus of the game and not making your character unique.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:36 am

Have you played Geneforge?
That was based around that mechanic.
each faction fight each other in an intense war. you choose what side due to wether it is in your mind the right thing to do, the rewards, or because you are more likely going to live.

Good game I will admit. There should be a bit of diplomacy in Lugaru 2 I think.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:17 am

I just realized that we've got 62 pages of random idea pwnage here.. Should be hard to comb the good ones out. :wink:

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:07 pm

If combat is the main focus of Lugaru 2, I'll definitely hate it.

And yeah, the Geneforge series is great! Probably some of the best RPGs I've ever played… I've never bought one though.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:57 pm

I bought Avernum 3.
Loved the game... but I would do things a bit differently...

I would make really a interesting RPG game if I knew Programing as I have already got a good set of mechanics.

I would for one Scrap the Hit Point system and use a Shock point system.
thats a system were you get attacked and it is called were you were trying to attack before the attack. or it is randomly generated if you don't mind. when you get an attack on some one it leaves a few shock points, or if you had a knife, Killing points. if a limb gets full of Shock damage it is considered Broken, and then all shock damage is taken as Killing damage, and all Killing damage will be doubled. One the arm is full of killing damage, the arm is Mutilated, or completely ripped off.

Getting Full shock to the head would be a knock out with posable brain damage. and getting Killing damage full on that part will mean that the guy is dead.

you may also try things outside of your ability, you just have little chance of it working. It is a good system based off the Pen and paper game God Like, but it works, and I would like to see it implemented in an RPG.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:01 pm

Great idea!

Meat_Grinder

Post by Meat_Grinder » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:03 pm

I was thinking of the following game type:

Its like king of the hill.
Basically we have a pyramid that has 3 levels.
Everyone starts at the bottom and has to climb the 3 levels to get to the top.
However the rules are
1. People who fight not on the pyramid get no style points.
2. People who fight on the first level get usual style points.
3. People who fight on the second level get x2 style points.
4. People who fight on the third level get x3 style points.
5. If there is only 1 person on the top at the end of the round that person automatically gets the first place. (NPCs do not count)
6. Anyone off the pyramid loses. (excluding the dead)
7. 1 minute prior to round end there should spawn several wolves of insane hardness at the bottom that would climb to the top, aggroing everyone in the process.

Pyramid has to be small enough, so that turn around leg hit throws you to the very bottom.

[EDIT] Basically its like the higher you are, the more style points you get when killing/doing successful moves, and the less room for manouver you have.
Also the person with the most style points wins, if #5 does not happen.
[/EDIT]
Last edited by Meat_Grinder on Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kalexon
Kalexon

Post by Kalexon » Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:03 pm

Since this is a Random Idea Dumping Thread, I thought I would take a dump on my random idea and shamlessly tell David how he should make his game.

Clothing effecting your stealth: Take the Camo pants which made Turner (in)famous, depending on which evoirment you're in camoflaged clothing should effect your stealth, and at night, same princaple, only with black clothing.

invertin

Post by invertin » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:33 am

Kalexon wrote:Since this is a Random Idea Dumping Thread, I thought I would take a dump on my random idea and shamlessly tell David how he should make his game.

Clothing effecting your stealth: Take the Camo pants which made Turner (in)famous, depending on which evoirment you're in camoflaged clothing should effect your stealth, and at night, same princaple, only with black clothing.
Yeah, disguises and camo-clothes would be nice, but in some areas his fur would be camo too.

The stealth should be more than squatting behind some-one and grabbing their neck, I never used the stealth in L1 because it was too easy, and if you screwed up you would most likely get in a fight which would have happened anyway.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:22 am

I think sneaking in shadows should increase stealth efficiency and not moving too much should also give a bonus to your stealth as well...

And in multi player I think Sneaking people should not be visible on a 90 degree angle of were your head is facing, and in that fan people are visible but only faintly depending on how close they are to an object and shadows... There may be allot of Nerfing needed to find the balance... but one other thing... Stealth kills in Multi-player should be reversible in some way... With weapons it may be harder but barehanded should be easier...

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:59 pm

invertin wrote:…I never used the stealth in L1 because it was too easy, and if you screwed up you would most likely get in a fight which would have happened anyway.
Personally, I don't think the stealth in L1 is too easy. If you're so confident, then go and get Master of the Shadows in level 6: "Martial Arts Blocks" (Just a nickname I came up with for it).

In forests it's dangerously hard to avoid brushing against branches, depending on how closely packed the forests are, and you always run into the possibility of running into one of the rabbit's friends, depending on how risky your stealth style is. (How far away from the rabbit you tend to be before you get up and run over, alerting the rabbit in the process but killing him soon after. And also if you choose to do that at all.)

zatoichi

Post by zatoichi » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:34 pm

Keep in mind that rabbits have eyes on the sides of their heads and wouldn't have the same field of vision as us.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:50 pm

Hmm, that makes me wonder how much they need to use their ears in combat.

Usagi
Screenshot Superhero

Post by Usagi » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:15 pm

invertin wrote:The stealth should be more than squatting behind some-one and grabbing their neck, I never used the stealth in L1 because it was too easy, and if you screwed up you would most likely get in a fight which would have happened anyway.
What? Never used stealth! Never did this...Image

Or this...Image

Or this? Image

How sad.

I agree that stealth should be harder, but still doable. With eyes on the sides of their heads, rabbits can actually see movement farther behind them, and their ears are definitely sensitive enough to make them hard to sneak up on.

But please don't take away these stealth kills. I want more like this, not less.