Wolfire Development Blog - part 2!

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
NickD
Charlotte Brontë

Post by NickD » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:44 am

The person could always go camping... not in real life, duh :P ! If you didnt know, camping means that you stay in one place until it's the right time to strike :D .

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:22 am

Well if Lugaru 1 is any indication, I'm sure it won't be that hard to kill someone. Of course, there will be the players that reverse and dodge every single attack you throw at them. But once more people reach that standard, it will all be about tactical fighting. Getting everyone to fight smaller groups as a team to stop the enemy's counter reverses and such, should nullify instant Silb killings.

And especially since the way fighting is mapped out, strength in numbers should be the main victor because every attack is important, you can't just miss like in every other fighting game where you're just swinging around wildly until you get in the correct range and heading. By simply holding down the attack button, anyone can perform the same picture perfect attacks that will always hit unless the other player reacts and counters. And when they counter, someone else can interupt their counter with the same picture perfect attack, then there's nothing the enemy can do to get away.

It's awesome because no matter what you're doing, you can always be interupted with an attack. Lots of games have it so that when you grapple, you can't be attacked, or when you're getting knocked down, attacks just go through you. In Lugaru, enemies can actually fight together and not have to worry about getting in each other's way, you can count on everyone's attack being effective, and it's REALLY cool the way attacks are synchronized together, getting legsweeped from below and round housed kicked in the face at the same time... there's not much cooler than that.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:41 am

and if they had really uba strength... Oh i cant wait till there is a Mode called Dismemberment party... you toggle it one so finishing attacks can eviscerate, and make enemies fall to bits... imagine team work like in the before Example... Cyberh!ttler200 (random player name i cam across a long time ago) gets Pwnd. as he rag dolls from both attacks at the same time, He gets broken in half, making Endtrail pie for everyone!

Nuky
Plutonium Handler

Post by Nuky » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:14 am

invertin wrote:When L2 comes out we should make an "All vrs Silb" server :twisted:
Let's all team up against Silb and Beginner (and me when I go pro) >_>

2 (or three) vs. 74 (or 73)! *partyhat*

Hey, David, Henry or whoever.
How's the multiplayer going to work? Will there be one public, or many personal? or perhaps both? If you're going to have multiplayer modes as those other people are screaming so shamelessly for, I take it it will be many personal? Or perhaps both? Both would be kind of cool. Or at least one official server.
Just thinking about the pings.

Albab
This title is part one ...

Post by Albab » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:07 pm

It'll be LAN only, I think. Which does sort of suck, but it'd be impossible otherwise, unless they come out with wide-spread blazingly fast (like T1 times five) internet connections sometime soon. Otherwise, the slightest bit of lag would make the game unplayable.

Foogooman

Post by Foogooman » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:17 pm

As we move into 2007, any word on a more accurate release date?

Or atleast a demo release date? I assume a demo for Lugaru 2 would be much like lugaru 1 is now.

NickD
Charlotte Brontë

Post by NickD » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:17 pm

OH NO :( !! Only LAN?? Nobody here plays Lugaru :x !

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:22 pm

Some of my suggestions could help make it playable online.

Like more reaction time for reversals and a cube engine like system for other delays (What you see isn't real time, so you can see what your movements will be in a few seconds instead of waiting until they actually happen)

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:10 am

Only LAN? :?
Why would David and Henry not say LAN and mean LAN?

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Mon Jan 08, 2007 4:21 am

Not deliberately restricted to LAN, hopefully, just hard to get to work well online.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:26 pm

Why would it be LAN only? I don't think it's that difficult to implement performant netcode for this kind of game.
And lag doesn't necessarily make it unplayable, it's just annoying.
BunnyWithStick wrote:What you see isn't real time
Wtf. What kind of game should that be? Turn-based fighting? :lol: Lu-Ga-Roh, the newest Magic The Gathering clone, with reversal moves you buy in the store and monsters you summon to crush your enemy? :)

Come on, the same game with multiplayer, that's all. 45-125 ms reversal net-travelling time, should be fast enough for any human. Don't tell me that's too slow for you.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:57 pm

We are testing it over the internet, so it should definitely at least *work* over the internet, even if lag does turn out to be a problem.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:50 pm

rudel_ic wrote:Wtf. What kind of game should that be? Turn-based fighting? :lol:
*Rabbit kicks rudel_ic into a nearby tree* :evil:

What I mean is that you're seeing what will happen to other people in a few hundred milliseconds time, not seeing what everyone else is seeing and actually seeing that it takes a few hundred milliseconds for you to see what kind of action you just did.

Go play sauerbraten or cube or ActionCube or something, then you'll see what I mean.

Meat_Grinder

Post by Meat_Grinder » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:21 pm

45-125 ms is too slow for me. :? I'm also known as the "keyboard killer" cause i punch(press) the buttons too fast. Even in singe rabbit doesn't react fast enough. :/

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:09 pm

Oh dude, dude, BWS got a title, dude.

....... :shock:

Ha hahaahahhahaha that's like the worst title you could possibly get!
hahahaaha ohmanthat's so funny man.

Cheers!

Gramps, jr.

Yeah I'm pretty much obsessed with these titles jeff has been given out.
They're so awesome.