Random Contest

Anything else
Fournine
.hacker

Random Contest

Post by Fournine » Mon May 24, 2004 1:56 am

Behold the RANDOM CONTEST!

This contest will require mad Lugaru map-making skills, and a good imagination. So, let the conditions begin!

I challenge those who are to partake in this CONTEST to create in Lugaru a map for one of the following:

1) Turner's House
2) Kick-ass fortress
3) The Ultimate Home

The primary judge will be David, himself, and I need not ask permission because I'm lazy. There will be only one winner for each category, and must obey these guidelines:

- There will be no enemies, save one so the map does not go all "instant win" upon opening (unless David has fixed this. it has been a while. *sigh*)
- The map may not exceed 6 KB of size (for ease of file transfer and non-crashing maps)
- If making Turner's House, please form outside forest area (Turner lives in grasslands areas, it is assumed)
- Ensure that the map is lag-free in most areas. You can avoid this by not bunching up together placeables.

There will be only one entry per category per person, so...

- When naming your map, include your screenname first, the category, and your unique map name
(eg: Fournine_Kick-ass-fortress_Seven_Story_Monestary)

The prize for this will be unregulated gloating rights and, if David says so, perhaps an appearance of your map in the release version.

Thank you, and have a good night. I'm procrastinating from an India essay for this, y'know.

-Fournine

Fournine
.hacker

Post by Fournine » Mon May 24, 2004 2:00 am

Ah, damn. I just saw there's a contest already for this under the L.Dev area. Whatever. Go with it anyway, people!

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Mon May 24, 2004 10:00 am

Well, this contest is somewhat different from mine, so they don't realy conflict.

disc

Post by disc » Mon May 24, 2004 11:06 am

I understand the first two, but I don't quite get "the ultimate home" bit. Ultimate home for Turner? Can it be any sort of home whatsoever?

Gwymold
Can I have a title?

Post by Gwymold » Mon May 24, 2004 2:05 pm

Yes, I was wondering about this myself.

Would turner even live in a house?

Is there a deadline?

where does one submit these?

disc

Post by disc » Mon May 24, 2004 2:09 pm

Well, the lugaru description mentions him living in a house. Of course, it also talks about weapons that aren't in the game, but hey :wink:

Fournine
.hacker

Post by Fournine » Mon May 24, 2004 2:56 pm

The Ultimate Home part is when the player makes what s/he deems to be the ultimate home, totally unrelated to Turner. For example, say, a multiplex apartment atop a huge tower in the middle of a desert might be one. Or a house made entirely of rocks and trees. It's a totally free-style building for whatever you want, say, if you were to be a rich billionaire with construction ships in the world of Lugaru. Be crazy.
Turner also as a mate and offspring, but I have yet to see any female rabbits or small, cute, deformed munchkins running around with daggers and an evil grin (oops, thinking about cousins here). And a hatchet should be inserted into Lugaru.

Deadline for the contest... hm? Let's say in one month- due June 24th, or before. That should give adaquate procrastination space, ya?
As for submission... hmm.... ask David?

-Fournine the lazy

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Mon May 24, 2004 3:19 pm

You could just email me with them I suppose.

disc

Post by disc » Mon May 24, 2004 4:12 pm

Oh man... I just finished my fort submission, then accidentally deleted it. This sucks. Well, at least I had it saved halfway through. By the way, there seems to be an object limit now? yes?

disc

Post by disc » Mon May 24, 2004 4:15 pm

Also, this would be made so much more easy if there were a couple of changes to the mapmaker:

-switchable textures for objects. I want to make a wooden house and different colored bushes, but there's no way aside from switching the texture itself, which makes everything else go wacky.
-Individual size dimension changes. Like, on a box or a wall, you could change the height, the width or the length, each individually.

That's about it. I don't really expect these things, but they'd be super nice.

Gwymold
Can I have a title?

Post by Gwymold » Mon May 24, 2004 5:03 pm

Does one need to have an outrageous house? My dream house is a hut in the caribean with a g5 17-inch powerbook (even though there isn't one)

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Tue May 25, 2004 2:44 pm

Or you could upload all yours maps into Cartographer/Mapping Contest on [url]hotline://mocha.mine.u[/url], ignore the info file there, it is a forgotten relic =p

Gwymold
Can I have a title?

Post by Gwymold » Tue May 25, 2004 3:15 pm

Nah; some people don't go there.

But remember, zip the files before you email them; or they will show up as a message.

disc

Post by disc » Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:19 am

I've finished my fort level. However, I'm without a connection to my computer so y'all are gonna have to wait 'till the phone lines get put into my apt.

I also tried making the ultimate home, but discovered that really, really big trees begin to dissapear at high altitudes. Which is strange.

disc

Post by disc » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:41 am

The deadline creeps closer. I technically made two awesome forts, but I'm going to call one of them the ultimate home. So hah.