Wolf attack!!!!!!

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
cachiporrin
Froot Loop!!!

Wolf attack!!!!!!

Post by cachiporrin » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:25 pm

I'm new with lugaru, but i love it. I need some help with the wolves. Is there an easy way to kill them!!!!!!!1 PLEASE HELP MEEEEEEEEEE :shock: :evil: :!: :!: .
May the force be with you

James M

Post by James M » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:36 pm

Knock them over, then kick them into a rock/tree/something hard. Or... spinecrush them. You could try doing a search on the forum, as there are many topics like this so I'm sure you'll find something useful.

NickD
Charlotte Brontë

Post by NickD » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:01 pm

Low spin kick, kick it while it's on the ground, then cannon kick it :D .lol noob jk

invertin

Post by invertin » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:24 am

Throw a knife into it, roll over an pull the knife out, if you don't roll over in time you can just legsweep it until you do. Also, use flips alot, confused wolves are easier to kill.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:59 am

Knives do not work whatsoever, a wolf will almost always grab the knife no matter where it's coming from or how far away you are.

Usagi
Screenshot Superhero

Post by Usagi » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:46 am

BunnyWithStick wrote:Knives do not work whatsoever...
I don't agree. Knives can be used effectively against wolves:
- Sneak up and throw at their back. I've had limited success, but it works sometimes.
- Trach always works if properly implemented.
- Slicing even works, tho it's dangerous and difficult. The trick is to slice when he's a little distracted, like after a punch or tired from a long fight, and simultaneously crouch to avoid his counter-strike. The slice staggers bunnies but not wolves.
- If you've knocked a wolf supine, and he's injured or tired, he's an easy target for a knife throw as he gets back up, preferably before his feet hit the ground. Usually one bulls-eye won't kill him (he just pulls it out and uses it against you) but this situation usually results in a wolfslayer.

I don't recommend any of these techniques for a beginner. To start out with, I'd practice stealth techniques (difficult because wolves smell and hear well) or straight-forward melee fighting.

Well timed blocks followed by counter-punches are good; if he remains standing, run around him to his right while he recovers; make sure you get at least 1/4 behind him and round-house kick him.

Leg-sweeps are also good, but again timing is critical if you don't want to die in a reversal KO. Don't start too early or he'll reverse; start too late and he'll smack you down, slicing you with his claws.

Any time you knock him down, follow up for a kick while he's down, and stay close with the attack button held down: if you're lucky, you'll get in a kick if he rolls near you. If he gets away, don't try a leg-cannon unless he tired; just wait for his next attack and block it.

If you knock him down and he just falls flat on his face, you can stand behind him and get several punches in a row as he gets up. It's fun, and safe, but probably he'll eventually roll out of it.

A well timed block or reversal almost always works, but the wolves have a quick leg sweep you can't seem to block. And if you let him reverse you, you're probably gonna die; make sure you use the crouch and roll technique if you go over his shoulder, or the back-dodge if he catches a leg sweep, leg-cannon or round-house kick. And always use the jump and crouch combo to regain control if you're raddolling.

(BTW, if you have debug on and wanna cheat just a little, you can ragdoll yourself during a reversal: the enemy will proceed with his animation of the reversal, but you'll just sail over or through him. Of course, you'll have to recover before he attacks again. This isn't bad for training purposes, but it's not really fair.)

If you're good at wall-kicks, these are good too, off a tree or block. But don't do too many in a row; he'll start to anticipate them, and he can swat you in the air.

Fighting near blocks can be good, too, 'cuz it impedes his ability to roll away, and you get more kicks. Stones do this too, but don't fight near trees: he can see and strike you, but your vision is blocked.

If you've worked on wall-jumps and leg-cannons, let him run up behind and bounce off the wall as he arrives, but don't kick: land behind him and LC him into the block for an insta-kill.

These are the techniques I always use against the Alpha Wolf, mainly for practice. Remember it takes about 40-50 decent successful attacks to kill Alpha, but only two or three for him to kill you.

If you want to kill him quickly (and his taunts about your "puny weapon" don't bother you) just stand still and draw your puny weapon as he runs at you after the dialogue, and slash him five times. He's dead: you win. You avenged your family and restored the balance to the island. Now do it again.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:52 am

Usagi wrote: If you want to kill him quickly (and his taunts about your "puny weapon" don't bother you) just stand still and draw your puny weapon as he runs at you after the dialogue, and slash him five times. He's dead: you win. You avenged your family and restored the balance to the island. Now do it again.
Funny, that's exactly how I did the job back in the days.

invertin

Post by invertin » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:55 am

BunnyWithStick wrote:Knives do not work whatsoever, a wolf will almost always grab the knife no matter where it's coming from or how far away you are.
He won't, but it will take a few tries. Besides, Cachiporrin is probably playing on easy, in which case wolves will almost never catch it.

Viking Zippy
Wooter

Post by Viking Zippy » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:30 pm

My favorite way to take down a wolf is to give it a nice hard thwack on the head with the staff and then smack it while it's down ... WHUMP WHUMP WHUMP!

:D

invertin

Post by invertin » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:59 pm

Viking Zippy wrote:My favorite way to take down a wolf is to give it a nice hard thwack on the head with the staff and then smack it while it's down ... WHUMP WHUMP WHUMP!

:D
:D indeed..

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:38 pm

Same here. If you have a staff and manage to get the wolf on lying down,
you've already won.

Usagi
Screenshot Superhero

Post by Usagi » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:40 pm

....and if you don't have a staff?

My favorite so far was the time I leg swept one and stabbed him in midair as he fell: Slain!

(Note: Only works if you have a sword.)

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:25 pm

Usagi wrote:....and if you don't have a staff?

My favorite so far was the time I leg swept one and stabbed him in midair as he fell: Slain!

(Note: Only works if you have a sword.)
Should have said:
Skewered!
or...
Impailed!
or...
Shishka-bob!

Usagi
Screenshot Superhero

Post by Usagi » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:48 pm

I like Shish Kawolf! It should be 450 points (50 with a side of sauce).

Get 'em at Silb's!

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:37 pm

invertin wrote:Cachiporrin is probably playing on easy, in which case wolves will almost never catch it.
Actually, it's quite the contrary, I play on easy almost all the time, and that wolf in level 4 always catches my knife. Always.

And with the staff megawhomp attack, it's rather easy to get a wolf down, just use a legsweep.