Overgrowth - Random Idea Dumping Thread

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Avekmaul

Post by Avekmaul » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:39 am

W00t! That plate mail is the ownage! Hope it's not just for a boss, or something.
I like the way it's designed for a rabbit, gives it a sort-of... Myst feel. Ever played Myst? It's a sort-of technological fantasy... I likes.

I'm glad that healing will be real-time, and that you will at least have the ability to heal in combat, as I can see a few multiplayer "MEDIC!!" situations arising.
This, of course, adds the element of strategy of when you should attack the other team again.
Do you sit there and recuperate your own losses or attack immediately, denying them much needed time to recover?

An idea I had was that not only could armour plates or spikes be attatched to armour, but perhaps scabbards, too?
Therefore, you can carry an extra knife attached to your glove, (such as this guy) for a quick knife throw or perhaps conceal one on your boot for when your disarmed on the ground.

As for the inventory interface, I agree, freeze-frame is right out, due to obvious multiplayer reasons.
(And I was going to have a comic here, but after a few sketches I've realised I SUCK at drawing anthro-bunnies).
Zantalos wrote:I think healing in real-time, pulling arrows out of wounds would be really cool (as cool as you pulling my knife out of your back Alpha wolf! How'd you like that bitch! Ninja Bonus!).
Haha, when they have a knife stuck in the middle of their back they should flail around groping at it.
As for pulling arrows out of wounds, doing so would have various advantages and disadvantages - for instance, bleeding to death.
It would also add an element of strategy to if they where barbed, or not.
You might even be able to be struck by an arrow through a shield -- therefore impaling it to your arm.
And if Lugaru needs anything, it needs more impaling (and dwarves).
Zantalos wrote:Having to worry about food will not be important in Grasslands or where food is easily accessible, David said that you'd only have to prepare yourself if you were out in the desert or something.
I like that. :)
I'm guessing you start off somewhere in the grasslands, with the desert to the north/north-east and icy lands after that providing more of a challenge as food becomes an additional problem.
It's a bit like in Rise of Nations, where they add an extra resource every few ages.
Zantalos wrote:I don't know how you would aim attacks. You mean aim melee attacks to body parts, or ranged weapons?
That's a tricky one, I guess I'm thinking of a slightly different combat system to Lugaru.
You'd have to free up the camera control so that instead of orbiting around Turner, you make Turner turn in a different direction, such as an FPS.
Bows and other ranged weapons would have to have some sort of aiming system in place, anyway, as in multiplayer simply being able to auto-aim at players would be fairly annoying for the victims of said bows.
Therefore, perhaps able to aim in some cases and simply time in others would be a good trade-off.
For instance, melee could be timing-oriented while you are able to aim weapons (including melee weapons).
I'd still quite like to have a more free-form combat system, but then again, it would be a very large change.
Zantalos wrote:By the way, is that a mod you made, or are you just insanely good at photoshop? I want that outfit man!
'Fraid it's just a custom skin (which I have now lost, but I could make another one) with Photoshop-y bits added. :(
(I'm rather pleased with the way the shoulder goes through one of his ears, like a graphical glitch, though.)
Colicedus wrote:and did I say NO to stubby, short, hairy, hung over, viking rabbits?
Sorry, allready been done.

Dwarf rabbits are, in fact, a very intrinsic part of Lugaru's lore.
They have a massive fortress outside Challenge Level 1, which they guard jealously to this day.
Sadly, they are in a constant state of gloom as there is no blacksmithing, mining or alchohol in Lugaru.
They tried putting on motion blur and constantly jumping down hills, but it's just not the same.

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:33 pm

Avekmaul wrote:W00t! That plate mail is the ownage! Hope it's not just for a boss, or something.
Probably not. I don't think that'd be the spirit of L2.
Avekmaul wrote:As for the inventory interface, I agree, freeze-frame is right out, due to obvious multiplayer reasons.
(And I was going to have a comic here, but after a few sketches I've realised I SUCK at drawing anthro-bunnies).
No you don't!
Avekmaul wrote:
Zantalos wrote:I don't know how you would aim attacks. You mean aim melee attacks to body parts, or ranged weapons?
That's a tricky one, I guess I'm thinking of a slightly different combat system to Lugaru.
You'd have to free up the camera control so that instead of orbiting around Turner, you make Turner turn in a different direction, such as an FPS.
Bows and other ranged weapons would have to have some sort of aiming system in place, anyway, as in multiplayer simply being able to auto-aim at players would be fairly annoying for the victims of said bows.
Therefore, perhaps able to aim in some cases and simply time in others would be a good trade-off.
For instance, melee could be timing-oriented while you are able to aim weapons (including melee weapons).
I'd still quite like to have a more free-form combat system, but then again, it would be a very large change.
There's nothing definitive as far as I know about bows making it into L2. I kinda infer David's policy is a pretty pragmatic one of coming up with cool ideas, trying different ways of implementing them, then seeing what works for gameplay (and then tweak a lot). So I guess we won't know until the game has most of its combat system in place.
And because of that it's sort of difficult to predict anything. :)
Example: freeform system may be too difficult to play. But then again perhaps David will try stuff out and figure a way to make it work.
Avekmaul wrote:<image>

Dwarf rabbits are, in fact, a very intrinsic part of Lugaru's lore.
They have a massive fortress outside Challenge Level 1, which they guard jealously to this day.
Sadly, they are in a constant state of gloom as there is no blacksmithing, mining or alchohol in Lugaru.
They tried putting on motion blur and constantly jumping down hills, but it's just not the same.
What's that building in the background? It doesn't look like something you could build with Lugaru, but then again the texture seems right. :|

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:56 pm

How about drag attacks? ie: Click for a standard attack, perhaps a stab maybe, click and drag to attack in a certain motion, perhaps to block a sword swing or attack a certain body part.

tallyl.iii

Post by tallyl.iii » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:39 pm

I like the idea. I think that would also work well for directional throws i.e. you grab a rabbit's punch and spin the view to the left so that you do a combination leg sweep and punch to his stomach to throw him to the left on his back or you could grab his punch and spin the view to the right so that you duck under his arm and either flip him or hold him in a submissive position depending on how realistic you want the combat to be.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:46 pm

Umm, no, what would happen is that you'd just throw him to the left or to the right depending on where you moved the mouse, moving the mouse down would throw him over your shoulder, etc…

And the view wouldn't move while drag attacking, though there'd be about a 50 millisecond delay for it to start so you could click without the view being messed up, but click and drag and get fixed view until you let go of the mouse button.[/list]

Usagi
Screenshot Superhero

Post by Usagi » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:11 pm

BunnyWithStick wrote:How about drag attacks?
I hate drag attacks - they're too piercing.

Albab
This title is part one ...

Post by Albab » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:18 pm

^ I was asking myself why I still came to this forum about five minutes ago. My question has been answered.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:22 pm

:!:

Dude, I don't get it!!

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:49 pm

I am guessing that woman Is Really a Drag Queen?

"She's a Man!"
:o :shock: :o

cachiporrin
Froot Loop!!!

Post by cachiporrin » Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:53 pm

Another good idea is.
2 handed swords, like STAR WARS!!!!

James M

Post by James M » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:16 pm

Usagi wrote:
BunnyWithStick wrote:How about drag attacks?
I hate drag attacks - they're too piercing.

hahaha, that rocks.

cachiporrin
Froot Loop!!!

Post by cachiporrin » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:27 pm

i have another idea for L2
sword breaking, when you use it a lot.
and climbing

cachiporrin
Froot Loop!!!

Post by cachiporrin » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:29 pm

how will be the armor in L2? because the turners armor in the home page isnt the real game armor[/code]

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:31 pm

Both already suggested, and probably going to be added.

Also, sword breaking "When you use it a lot" is too bad-rpg-esque, swords will break when subjected to force on an object strong enough to break them, like armour.

Or something like that, I'm not David.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:04 pm

Ok, how about we make a new thread where we aim Questions at david? :)