Overgrowth - Random Idea Dumping Thread

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:43 pm

Yeah ok, drag attacks sound like they would work good. Reversal moves that have you throw units over your shoulder should be aimed relative to the camera's position, that way you'd get a bit more control when throwing someone headfirst into a tree, or sideways off a cliff. That'd be sick.
cachiporrin wrote:how will the armor be in L2? Because turner's armor in the home page isn't the real game armor
The armor picture showing off the original Lugaru game is actually the concept art for Lugaru 2. So you bet it's going to be in the real game, just not that one of course.

Avekmaul

Post by Avekmaul » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:14 am

Silb wrote:So I guess we won't know until the game has most of its combat system in place.
And because of that it's sort of difficult to predict anything. :)
Why yes, David is a master of the element of surprise.

Funnily enough, I was listening to "Suicide is Painless" while making this comic...
Silb wrote:There's nothing definitive as far as I know about bows making it into L2. I kinda infer David's policy is a pretty pragmatic one of coming up with cool ideas, trying different ways of implementing them, then seeing what works for gameplay (and then tweak a lot).
That's a pretty good way of making a game, especially when you take into consideration all the problems bows could involve. :?

Arrows, etc. would have to be slow enough for the opponent to dodge effectively and be fairly useless in close-quaters to make it fair and quite sparse in number or ammunition to stop it from descending into a shooter. They could also make a whistling note while flying past, giving you some prior warning.
Bows would probably be best kept in specific missions, such as ambushes and seiges, as they would degrade the quality of melee combat in others, but it would be nice to have the option of a nice bow war, anyway. :)
BunnyWithStick wrote:How about drag attacks? ie: Click for a standard attack, perhaps a stab maybe, click and drag to attack in a certain motion, perhaps to block a sword swing or attack a certain body part.
Drag attacks would be awesome, specifically when it comes down to having more control over attacks or throws.
Being able to "drag" your attack around would be rather good, though it only applies to sweeping attacks as apposed to jabbing (lunging) or quick hacking attacks.

In Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb, you can grab opponents* and then either proceed to punch them or throw them backwards (which, combined with a cliff**, was quite effective).

*Left and right mouse buttons at the same time, I think.
**Crocodiles optional.

A mix of different techniques would increase the learning curve slightly, but I think once you get used to it, it would be quite interesting.
Hopefully, Lugaru 2 multiplayer will be complex and varied enough to avoid becoming a reversal war*** (linked for sync), while not being so complicated it ruins anything found the first game.

***This is, of course, impossible, but you get the idea.
cachiporrin wrote:Another good idea is.
2 handed swords, like STAR WARS!!!!
Check this blog post, second weapon to last is a double-bladed Naginata. But why stop there? How about five or eight-bladed swords? Heck, what about three-dimensional twelve-bladed swords? Sure, they cut you in half whenever you attack, but you'd be the envy of everyone in town.
Silb wrote:What's that building in the background? It doesn't look like something you could build with Lugaru, but then again the texture seems right. :|

Rename this picture "Back.jpg" and add it to your "Skybox(snow)" folder to expand the Dwarfish empire! :)

Usagi
Screenshot Superhero

Post by Usagi » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:53 pm

Boy, am I ever glad you showed up in this forum. That reversal war GIF is choice!

Now go get the full version or else!

"Or else what," you ask? Well, how about this: Muddy Mudskipper will come to your house and sit outside singing until you do!

BunnyWithStick wrote:...swords will break when subjected to force on an object strong enough to break them, like armour.
Swordbreaking should only happen in response to a purposeful defensive action.

Swordbreaking tools have been used for centuries. The Japanese used a jitte or jutte, which means "ten-hand weapon" or a weapon with the power of ten hands. Police often used them against rambunctious samurai; they sure weren't going to duel with them, so they carried special tools to disarm them.

Image Image

There was also a special dagger used in Western warfare called a "swordbreaker." It had notches to grip a sword, and could safely redirect the blade, and even break it if used properly.

Here's Turner using one.

Here's Turner with a swordbreaker and a special ornate jitte.

There's even a Magic card of a jitte.

There's another kind of Western swordbreaker that's really more of a mace: a long, heavy steel bar with a rectangular cross section and sharp corners, worn and wielded like a sword. Only extremely powerful warriors would use them.

Of course, there's always the tetsubo, a huge oak or iron club covered with metal plates and knobs. Again, only the strongest used them, but they were very handy for shattering swords, crushing armor, and breaking the legs of horses while defending against cavalry attacks.

Oni or demons are often shown using them, because of their superhuman strength.
Last edited by Usagi on Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miyamoto Usagi

Post by Miyamoto Usagi » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:14 pm

This is my first post on the forum. Woot!

Anyhow, it'd be awesome if trees had solid, walkable branches. It'd make for some kickass scenes, for anything from Inuyasha-style tree-hopping to fight-scenes like the bamboo forest near the end of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:45 pm

Whoa... two Usagi's!

Usagi
Screenshot Superhero

Post by Usagi » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:05 pm

Welcome to the forum, MU.

I suppose I should start yelling "ID theft," but I think we can deal with multiple Usagis.

However, I do lay claim to the first use of the name based on Stan Sakai's character,
and I reserve the right to all avatars using his image.

Here are some I've already used:

Image Image Image Image

I also used a headshot, but I lost it.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:45 pm

Usagi wrote:but I lost it.
:!:

SCNR

Usagi
Screenshot Superhero

Post by Usagi » Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:51 pm

S'okay; it does sound kinda dumb: "I lost my head...shot."

Actually, I lost touch with a lot of my images when I lost the power supply to my external hard drive. Can't seem to find a replacement.

There's lottsa cool screens in there.

NickD
Charlotte Brontë

Post by NickD » Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:28 pm

OMFG!!!!!111one

Miyamoto Usagi

Post by Miyamoto Usagi » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:23 am

Usagi wrote:Welcome to the forum, MU.

I suppose I should start yelling "ID theft," but I think we can deal with multiple Usagis.

However, I do lay claim to the first use of the name based on Stan Sakai's character,
Oh, sorry, dude. I didn't really stop and think that was the Usagi you were referring to in your name.

Although to be honest that's not who I was referring to anyway. I'm not the biggest fan of that particular character. It's more a reference to Musashi. That and rabbits, the titular creatures of Lugaru.

I'm an avid fan of the Book of Five* Rings.

But accidental ID theft aside, does anyone agree with my idea for walkable tree-limbs?

And, as a sidenote...
@Usagi,
Mind if I use that screenshot of Turner dualwielding a swordbreaker and a Jitte as my avatar?

*Edited for corrective purposes.
Last edited by Miyamoto Usagi on Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:46 am

Hehe, it would be great if everyone has some lugaru/rabbit related avatar,
except me, who has some completly unrelated headbanging metal dude.

Miyamoto Usagi

Post by Miyamoto Usagi » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:50 am

Crill3 wrote:Hehe, it would be great if everyone has some lugaru/rabbit related avatar,
except me, who has some completly unrelated headbanging metal dude.
On AOL I once RP'd with a group who did a furry Metalocalypse storyline. Was funny as hell.

I was Skwisgaar. As a wolf.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go hide from Turner.

invertin

Post by invertin » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:09 am

This used to be the eyeball of a rabbit. I'll see If I can get a wolf to look like invertin from lone wolf. I'll have to do a custom skin..

Usagi
Screenshot Superhero

Post by Usagi » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:24 am

Miyamoto Usagi wrote:Mind if I use that screenshot of Turner dualwielding a swordbreaker and a Jitte as my avatar?
Not at all; I'd be honored.

So, you're more of Musashi Miyamoto as a rabbit, rather than Miyamoto Rabbit, eh?

Have you read "Musashi" by Eiji Yoshikawa? It's a very cool book. The same guy wrote other novels of feudal Japan that are excellent.

And I assume you've seen the Samurai movie trilogy starring Toshiro Mifune as Musashi? Also excellent.

invertin

Post by invertin » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:43 am

I wish I new what you were talking about. :)