Overgrowth - Random Idea Dumping Thread

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Avekmaul

Post by Avekmaul » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:27 am

Did someone say Mifune?

Is god in Lugaru like... a giant bunny, or something?

I'll be AFK for a few days, but if I'm alive by the time I get back, I'll buy Lugaru. :)

(I'll post more stuff when I get back.)

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:08 am

:lol:
That was some of the best Lugaru pictures yet,
especially the second one :D

Szs315
Closet Mac lover

Post by Szs315 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:07 am

Let me just say this:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:23 pm

My humour can never be satisfied… :cry:

Usagi
Screenshot Superhero

Post by Usagi » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:04 pm

Miyamoto Usagi wrote:I'm an avid fan of the Book of Nine Rings.
Ho! Just noticed this! Musashi Miyamoto wrote the Book of Five Rings (as I know you know); Tolkien wrote the Book of Nine Rings (if anyone did). Musta been a Freudian slip or sumpin'.
invertin wrote:I wish I new what you were talking about. :)
You could; just watch all of Akira Kurosawa's films, read the Book of Five Rings, read Musashi, and study kendo for twenty years.

Actually, scratch the last one; you don't really need it. Just read all of Lone Wolf and Cub, and watch the Samurai Trilogy. Then you will know all.
Avekmaul wrote:Did someone say Mifune?
Yes. I did. I know the second image is Kikuchiyo from Shichinin no samurai; is the first one Taketori Washizu from Kumonosu jo?
Avekmaul wrote:Is god in Lugaru like... a giant bunny, or something?
It's the Black Rabbit of Inle! Duh!
Avekmaul wrote:I'll be AFK for a few days, but if I'm alive by the time I get back, I'll buy Lugaru. :)
You better! Muddy is waiting!
Avekmaul wrote:(I'll post more stuff when I get back.)
What I just said! BTW, excellent and hilarious posts. Keep it up.
BunnyWithStick wrote:My humour can never be satisfied… :cry:
Do you mean your hunger for humor? 'Cuz we're doin' our best here. Or do you mean your particular taste in humor? We're trying to cover a lot of ground, but if ya got a request, let's hear it. Better yet, post a sample!

Miyamoto Usagi

Post by Miyamoto Usagi » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:06 pm

OMG. I typed Book of nine rings?! Now I feel dumb. Of course I know it's Five rings... xx; In my defense it was about 4:00 am when I typed that.

And unfortunately, the book you named and the movie you saw aren't under my belt... I'm a poor-ass sumbitch who wouldn't know where to look.

To my credit, though, I have the Seven Samurai on VHS. And have watched it about a thousand times.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:26 pm

About 'Kumonosu Jo'..

'Shichinin No Samurai' is 'Seven Samurai's title en japanese.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:32 pm

Musashi is a masterpiece, Kurosawa is a genius. Mifune himself.. meh. Not my type of actor.

zatoichi

Post by zatoichi » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:37 pm

This thread is going in my favorite direction ever. Mifune+Musashi+Kurosawa= teh win

Hitting refresh 20+ times to post this= teh lose

edit: seriously, what the hell. It took me a good ten minutes to get this submitted. I literally watched two other posts appear while I was trying to do this.

Miyamoto Usagi

Post by Miyamoto Usagi » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:01 am

zatoichi wrote:This thread is going in my favorite direction ever. Mifune+Musashi+Kurosawa= teh win

Hitting refresh 20+ times to post this= teh lose

edit: seriously, what the hell. It took me a good ten minutes to get this submitted. I literally watched two other posts appear while I was trying to do this.
Lol. It happens sometimes.

BTW, why hasn't anyone commented about the idea for walkable treelimbs in Lugaru 2? :x

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:29 am

Has been mentioned before, that's why. Somewhere in this thread if I recall correctly.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:52 am

Miyamoto Usagi wrote:BTW, why hasn't anyone commented about the idea for walkable treelimbs in Lugaru 2? :x
lol, thread was hi-jacked, it'd be wierd if we interupted the conversation at hand.

Well, the blog said that trees would be destructable and climbable. But instead of walking and jumping through the branches like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, I would rather have the branches be climbed up more methodically like in Shadow of the Colossus where you climb hand over hand up the tree, except in L2 you should be able to climb over the tree limbs as well.

It just seems kinda impractical to jump through these trees because, other than being redicules to pull off free-form (without some kind of clunky lock on mechanism helping you to stay atop and aiming for branches to jump to), the trees themselves look more complicated then flat over hanging branches for you to stand on.

Then again, it would have alot more combat uses if you could jump and run from branch to branch in a fight. But, maybe something non-combat related is being planned for trees.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:17 am

How about both, you should be able to run along straight branches if there are no other branches or foliage in the way, and sneak/crouch-walk if you can't quite run. Otherwise you should be able to climb.

Miyamoto Usagi

Post by Miyamoto Usagi » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:27 am

I'm hoping both are possible. I've played games where it's possible to fight in trees and on rooftops. (Morrowind being one example - I would download a bunch of Japanese-themed mods, get a Samurai outfit, up my chara's Acrobatics stat, and then I'd be all over the place in every fight - rooftop-to-rooftop, firing bow-and-arrow and then switching to a sword when someone caught up, even jumping down and charging a vertical chop for when I landed. Hell, I even charged up horizontal swings for when people just stupidly rushed at me. Iaijutsu anyone?)

It's hella fun to be able to do such things in an action-style game. Anyone who's ever played Otogi will probably agree with me.

Usagi
Screenshot Superhero

Post by Usagi » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:47 am

zatoichi wrote:This thread is going in my favorite direction ever. Mifune+Musashi+Kurosawa= teh win
Just what I'd expect from a guy named Zatoichi.

Did you see "Zatoichi meets Sanjuro?" Not great, but fun.