Overgrowth - Random Idea Dumping Thread

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:38 pm

OK new Idea.

I have come across a bug in Lugaru where turner attacks one person and he spins around in a 360 motion.
that makes me think about different stances.

Duelers stance maybe (for one on one sword fights fights)
Enragement stance (used for fighting crowds of rabbits surrounding you, Inspired from the Bug)
Ghostly stance (used to make the most of acrobatics and Stealth from combat)

these may be a little buggy and will need testing. :)
and don't use my names for them... the names suck.

invertin

Post by invertin » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:04 pm

David wrote:In Lugaru 2 there will be many different fighting styles, and Turner will be able to learn new moves and tactics to develop his own unique style 8)

GaGrin

Post by GaGrin » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:06 pm

I keep trying to work out how thats going to function ingame.

Its one of three choices as far as i see it:

1) As we learn more techniques we use the "best" move per-situation thus we craft our own fighting style by the diverse nature of the techniques that we learn and employ.

2) The fighting system has more player choice/input than manevour and timing allowing us to trigger types of moves that we can use as we learn the technique. My worry for this if it possibly disrupting the wonderful sense of reaction and flow of the first game - but like many things this is down to implementation.

3) We have some kind of stance/style selection (cycle style key?) or we pick moves from a list or menu of some sort to have an active list of moves. Personally I think this is unlikely, but it would allow us to pick and choose each move at the cost of adding a menu-ish system to the game.

Those are sort of rated in preference for me. 1 is better than 2 is better than 3; IMO.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:34 pm

GaGrin wrote:3) We have some kind of stance/style selection (cycle style key?) or we pick moves from a list or menu of some sort to have an active list of moves. Personally I think this is unlikely, but it would allow us to pick and choose each move at the cost of adding a menu-ish system to the game.
I kinda think the Third could be implemented very well...

Starting out with Simple attacks at the start and then going for more powerful abilities, these powerful abilities overwrite the last ability.

then STANCES come into play...

use the 1 2 and 3 keys or the mouse scroll (maybe tab?) to change your STANCE....

that way you have a list of attacks that look something like this (this is kinda made up moves but what ever gets the picture)

Stance 1 (more offensive attacks)

Punch Enterys:
Dragons Punch (Powerful knock down punch)
Jab/Fein (Quick attack use to make up weak points and quick damage, with melee weapon allows you to parry attack)
-Empty entry-
-Empty entry-

Kick Enterys:
Soccer kick (Medium damaging attack)
Round the world (knock back attack to push away a rabble of enemies)
Trip kick (Requires Crouching: weak attack used to make the Foe fall over)
Wall Kick (flip off a wall and inflict reasonable damage)

Special attacks:
Neck twister/-Empty entry- (requires stealth/Non combat: Kill the enemy swiftly and unexpected)
-Empty entry-

Stance 2 (more defensive attacks)

Punch Enterys:
Counter attack (Powerful attack performed during a normal attack if attacked by enemy with same weapon)
Jab/Fein (Quick attack use to make up weak points and quick damage, with melee weapon allows you to parry attack)
-Empty entry-
-Empty entry-

Kick Enterys:
Soccer kick (Medium damaging attack)
Round the world (knock back attack to push away a rabble of enemies)
-Empty entry-
-Empty entry-

Special attacks:
Block (Requires Crouch: instead of crouching, you hold your shield in-front of you and absorb damage from front)
-Empty entry-

To put a new attack in one of those slots, you must (if time is included in travel and all that) stop travailing and take a day training/ Go to a town or Temple or other training ground and fill the menu. as that is done, in the back ground T is doing some gumbus, but soon getting better attacks on a dummy/combat trainer/tree or any other training tool.

I also think while traveling there should be little clips here and there in the loading screen or what ever showing T (with same graphics) Going over stepping stones over rivers, hiking mountains whipping sweat from his brow, drinking from his flask as he wanders the desert, Shivering in a blizzard with snow particles stuck to his fur, and asking Caravans on the road for directions and all that, it dose nothing that great, but ads a little more adventure to the game if done right I think.[/list]

Usagi
Screenshot Superhero

Post by Usagi » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:39 pm

Colicedus wrote:I have come across a bug in Lugaru where turner attacks one person and he spins around in a 360 motion.
Does it look like these?

Image Image Image

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:28 am

I've experienced that bug too. Mainly on Space/Star Wars Lugaru maps, but that's probably just because I play those most.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:56 am

yea, that, now are you going to tell me how much my idea Rocks/Sucks?

Avekmaul

Post by Avekmaul » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:27 am

Wiki' has plenty to say on the subject of stances in Chinese martial arts...
Wikipedia wrote:Stances are special postures used in Chinese martial arts training. They represent the individual elements of a form. Each style will have different names and variations for each stance. Stances can be differentiated by such factors as feet position, body weighting and body alignment. Stance training can be practiced statically, in which case, the goal is to maintain the structure of the stance through a set time period. Stance training can also be practiced dynamically, in which case, a series of movements is performed repeatedly. The horse riding stance or a bow stance is a representative example of a stance found in many styles of Chinese martial arts.
Overall, I like the idea. It's just implementing it that's kinda' "bl00t?*".

Do you have 1, 2, 3 keys, etc. for stances, and if so, will they be called Berserker Stance, Defensive Stance and Battle Stance? :o

Something kinda' goes against my gut about switching between "stances"... I guess I'm looking for something a leeeettle bit more dynamic.

Sword-fighting
One of my ideas was that you could "charge" a strong attack by holding down the attack button and then performing it by letting go.
While an attack is charged, Turner is more vunerable as he is not immediately ready to parry.
Here's one example of what Turner could look like while readying a strong attack:

The difficulty is, how does he charge it? How do you decide between getting ready for a sweeping or lunging attack?
Also, if this is a "stance", it makes sence that you would be able to keep it ready without holding the attack button down the entire time.

As Turner is only holding one sword, in this case, you might charge a sweeping attack by holding down the LMB, or charge a lunge by holding down the RMB.
However, this still doesn't solve how you would keep it held down, though I'm not quite sure how much that matters.

In Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, by moving forwards while attacking, you bring your lightsaber down in front of you.
Attacking while moving backwards pulls off an uppercut (or whatever the sword-fighting term is), and moving from side to side while attacking, etc. etc., you get the idea.
This isn't a bad way of controling attacks, specifically as it's nice and quick, but I dunno. :)

Parries might be a quick sweep to the side, knocking your opponents' sword sideways.
In this way, perhaps holding down a parry increases the amount of strength you put into it, from lightly tilting your enemy's blade to the side to baring down on a more powerfull attack.
If your opponent manages to resist, you get into a sword lock. :)

I can imagine drag attacks mainly working with heavy weapons like bo staffs or halberds.
Colicedus wrote:I also think while traveling there should be little clips here and there in the loading screen or what ever showing T (with same graphics) Going over stepping stones over rivers, hiking mountains whipping sweat from his brow, drinking from his flask as he wanders the desert, Shivering in a blizzard with snow particles stuck to his fur, and asking Caravans on the road for directions and all that, it dose nothing that great, but ads a little more adventure to the game if done right I think.
I think I'd prefer to actually do it in-game. :)

invertin

Post by invertin » Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:57 pm

Alternate endings

The reputation system has already been talked about, but when you beat the story, instead of a set ending, there is multiple endings depending on your reputation. And if you die , it will give you an ending sequence anyway, showing what happens to lugaru with you gone. And instead of just "kill the boss and win" you get a chice right at the end that effects the ending aswell

E.G.1. Turner has the choice, kill all the wolves and save lugaru. Or kill all the rabbits and rule over Lugaru, and soon, the world. If he has a reputation of being a goody-two-shoes and kills the rabbits, as he kills them they will be devastated, and completely unready. If he has a bad habit of killing people in public, the guards of the town would be ready and it would result in a huge war, killing most of the wolves and wiping out the rabbits.

E.G.2. Same choice, but if he chooses to stop the wolves. If he's a goodguy, when he returns to town he will be praised and worshipped as king of the rabbits, even if he doesn't want to be. If he is evil, the gurads would try to kill him as he enters.

E.G.3. He dies while fighting the new alpha wolf, and the wolves clear out lugaru, killing every rabbit alive.

Because of how complicated the reputation system is (in my mind, anyway) this would lead to alot of different endings. Although the death endings might be hard to implement. Forget about that, unless it can be put it in somehow.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:27 pm

I also think Side Quest and Date (Game days to complete the game) should have an effect.

tallyl.iii

Post by tallyl.iii » Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:44 pm

Avekmaul wrote: you have 1, 2, 3 keys, etc. for stances, and if so, will they be called Berserker Stance, Defensive Stance and Battle Stance? :o

Something kinda' goes against my gut about switching between "stances"... I guess I'm looking for something a leeeettle bit more dynamic.

Sword-fighting
One of my ideas was that you could "charge" a strong attack by holding down the attack button and then performing it by letting go.
As far as stances go I think it would be great if they would adjust dynamically depending on your style, your opponents style, and your current condition. By style I mean types of attacks and the frequency they are used. i.e. If you're fighting a fairly weak opponent and repeatedly using light kicks Tae Kwon Do style then you would switch to a Tiger stance, shown below, (At least that's what I learned it as) which would allow you to easily perform rapid kicking motions without having to drastically change your position and would allow you to cover yourself fairly well also.
Or, if one was defending against a very strong opponent and and had little choice to do much other than reversals then Turner would assume the Back stance, also shown below, which would be very stable and would allow him deflect and reverse attacks with less of a chance of simply being knocked over.

As for the charging sword attacks, I am completely against it as it is odd and simply a replacement mechanic for realistically executing any sort of sword move, fencing, Kendo, or otherwise. Depending on one's style and the power of a move depends largely upon one's wrist and/or shoulder and almost never "charging it up." In fact, holding a sword for any length of time in one position would most likely decrease its power because of its lack of momentum.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:01 pm

I was thinking of implementing a sort of 'charging-up' system, but in terms of fractions of a second. For example, tapping CROUCH+ATTACK might do a quick kick to the knee, while holding CROUCH+ATTACK might do more of a full sweep like in L1. I was planning on having different stances, but they would mostly be automatic and cosmetic.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:35 pm

Surprise us :)

tallyl.iii

Post by tallyl.iii » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:11 pm

If it were cosmetic and the postures are physics based would not the stances then function essentially as they actually would?

Crill3
Indecisive titler

Post by Crill3 » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:23 am

tallyl.iii wrote:If it were cosmetic and the postures are physics based would not the stances then function essentially as they actually would?
Was going to ask the same :P