Vista patches

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Ltp0wer

Post by Ltp0wer » Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:41 am

NickD wrote:Aw geez... they drank red bull :P . Ltp0wer, you usually have to integrate OpenAL with OpenGL for good sound transitions and quality :wink: .
Thanks, I plan to learn OpenGL after I am done with this 2d Graphics library.

DirectX is nice, but it doesn't have as many features as OpenGL.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:54 am

Jeff wrote:How can you post "OpenGL>DirectX>Anything else on Windows" and not expect a platform war?
I'm just stating that I think OpenGL is better than DirectX, and DirectX is better than anything else on Windows. Nothing to do with platform wars whatsoever.
Jeff wrote:And just for the record, Windows has the best implementation of OpenGL of any platform.
This is strange. Very strange. However, this supports the fact that I'm not starting a platform war. And judging by what people have said here, we all agree that OpenGL>DirectX>Anything else on Windows. I don't know much about windows libraries, but what I mean to state here is that OpenGL is generally considered the best graphics library (Especially on Mac which AFAIK doesn't have DirectX), DirectX is generally the most popular graphics library on Windows (Though it seems that OpenGL is better, at least according to Ltp0wer) and anything else on Windows (Probably anything else on any platform really) is the minority here.

There is nothing whatsoever here that should cause a platform war, besides misunderstandings, and if everyone agrees on something, you can't start a war on that subject.

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:29 am

I kinda Agree with BWS

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:52 am

It's all about phrasing. If you said "OpenGL is the best graphics API" then we would all be in agreement. However, you said, essentially "OpenGL is better than anything Windows has." Which sounds like an ignorant, inflammatory statement. Your inequality is, in fact, correct, I just misinterpreted it.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:56 am

I think including Windows in the statement confused things a lot. :P

Colicedus
forom-muppat-yoda

Post by Colicedus » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:48 am

Jeff wrote:"OpenGL is better than anything Windows has." Which sounds like an ignorant, inflammatory statement. Your inequality is, in fact, correct, I just misinterpreted it.
I wouldn't say it was all THAT Ignorant... :P

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:01 am

OpenGL and Direct3D are essentially the same in terms of functionality; I prefer to use OpenGL myself because it is more portable.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:27 pm

BWS that is totally ignorant, you have to include:

OpenGL>DirectX>Anything else on Windows>Anything else on Mac

Blam. Flamewar activated.

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:54 pm

>> entering special flamewar defusing process #32 : topic hijacking facetious funnies.

(Cheer up Zantalos :))
Do not give up hope. Some day you will see a waffle iron and taste fresh warm waffles!

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:04 pm

Damn it!

Ltp0wer

Post by Ltp0wer » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:18 pm

BunnyWithStick wrote:
Jeff wrote:How can you post "OpenGL>DirectX>Anything else on Windows" and not expect a platform war?
I'm just stating that I think OpenGL is better than DirectX, and DirectX is better than anything else on Windows. Nothing to do with platform wars whatsoever.
Jeff wrote:And just for the record, Windows has the best implementation of OpenGL of any platform.
This is strange. Very strange. However, this supports the fact that I'm not starting a platform war. And judging by what people have said here, we all agree that OpenGL>DirectX>Anything else on Windows. I don't know much about windows libraries, but what I mean to state here is that OpenGL is generally considered the best graphics library (Especially on Mac which AFAIK doesn't have DirectX), DirectX is generally the most popular graphics library on Windows (Though it seems that OpenGL is better, at least according to Ltp0wer) and anything else on Windows (Probably anything else on any platform really) is the minority here.

There is nothing whatsoever here that should cause a platform war, besides misunderstandings, and if everyone agrees on something, you can't start a war on that subject.
Well, from what I have seen here., OpenGL is better.

I assume that is a trustworthy site, as a lot of people love it.

Yes, I do prefer Windows, but I don't hate Mac.

I use Windows because Mac doesn't support Steam and Half life 2, as far as I know, and I can't be arsed to dual boot when Windows does everything I need anyway.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:26 pm

I don't know when that article was written, but I believe that at this point anything you can do in OpenGL you can do in Direct3D, and vice versa. The issue now is primarily cross-platform portability (OpenGL) vs. integration with Microsoft's DirectX APIs (Direct3D).

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:43 pm

Zantalos wrote:BWS that is totally ignorant, you have to include:

OpenGL>DirectX>Anything else on Windows>Anything else on Mac
Not really, OpenGL seems to be the best on both OSes, probably Linux too, and OpenGL seems to be the only one on Mac (Besides SDL and a bunch of others, assuming they're the same thing), so there isn't really much point in adding that, not to mention the fact that OpenGL is one of the best, and it's most commonly used (AFAIK) on Macs. Also, from what I've seen in Mac graphics technologies, they're one of the primary focuses of Mac, at least they always seem very polished with Core Image and stuff.

Also, I sense a slight drop of racism/traitism in here, as you wouldn't have said this had I not used a Mac.

judo_turner

Post by judo_turner » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:27 am

turner wrote:there might be somthing wrong with your graphics card. Did you upgrade to vista from xp?
My Xp broke down and it was fixed again but when i turn on, it was 2000, So i upgraded it from 2000 to Vista, but the graphic cards, as far as i know, is the one i used for my previous XP games like Lugaru.

tallyl.iii

Post by tallyl.iii » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:49 pm

wormguy wrote:I don't see why every single thread has to devolve into a PC vs. Mac debate.
Random side-note: The original word is 'Evolve' based upon the Latin roots 'e' or 'ex' meaning out and 'volv' meaning turn would the opposite not be intravolve? Sorry, but this bothers me almost as much as 'Irregardless'; if the opposite was meant to be devolve, the original would be supervolve.

</rant>