Macs vs. PCs

Anything else
rowenlemmings

sorry for the bump but...

Post by rowenlemmings » Fri Jul 23, 2004 2:30 am

[ read subject ]

basically, the Macintosh OS runs smoother (and as of OSX is much easier on the eyes :D) than windows, but hands-down windows is more widely-used, mostly because of the software issues. Software Developers (esp. in the gaming industry) are more likely to create games for the PC than the mac because of the larger user-base, so it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

however, Adobe (who many of you know, I'm sure) has stuck by Macintosh, and that's the reason why many Graphic Designers, or other people in the Graphic Arts field, work on Macintosh.

Personally, I have both, though my PC is my primary box since A) it's more accessible to me because it's purely mine, whereas the others are my parents' :D, and B) it's much faster because it's newer (2.2 gHz baby :wink: )

Also for the PC, is the customization. Since 3rd-party companies make hardware for Windows-Compatible boxes, you can have an endlessly customized box. With the Macintosh, only Apple can create the hardware, so they decide exactly what will be in each of their computers. You can't swap out processors or video cards because they're built-in by the manufacturer, whereas the PCs are more capsulized. This appeals to many consumers (including myself) who wish to be able to upgrade their box later on, as opposed to shelling out the money for a whole new system.

Anyway, just wanted to put in my 2 cents :D again, sorry to bump an old topic, but I had to do it :D

--Rowen

MMasterwllms

Macs

Post by MMasterwllms » Mon Nov 01, 2004 6:27 am

They may be over-priced, but that is for a reason, Microsoft are getting sued by the eu for tking up too much %tage of the market. The reason that macs are expensive, is because they can multi-task - unlike PC win95,95,me,nt,xp microsoft claim they can, they just crash! :evil:

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:00 pm

Mac Rabies strikes again.
I think you will find that most PC's ARE multi-threaded, and have gotten much more stable throughout the years.
And the reason macs are expensive is partly because they are better in some respects, but mostly because they have such a small market, meaning Apple has to charge more to sustain themselves.

rowenlemmings

Post by rowenlemmings » Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:29 pm

exactly. The small client base plus the necesity of manufacturing all their own parts (as opposed to Microsoft which can pay AMD or other companies for things like processors etc) drives up the cost of macintosh computers to an abominable price. Sad isn't it? :(

Jeff
Evil Twin

Re: Macs

Post by Jeff » Mon Nov 01, 2004 1:29 pm

MMasterwllms wrote:They may be over-priced, but that is for a reason, Microsoft are getting sued by the eu for tking up too much %tage of the market. The reason that macs are expensive, is because they can multi-task - unlike PC win95,95,me,nt,xp microsoft claim they can, they just crash! :evil:
This is a common myth that Mac users like to tell themselves to make them feel better about their platform. I usually just demonstrate my relatively old PC effortlessly running 15 copies of Q3 at the same time, with the FPS perfectly distributed between each instance, and then check my email flawlessly while this is all going on.

Flickta

Re: Macs

Post by Flickta » Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:45 am

Jeff wrote: This is a common myth that Mac users like to tell themselves to make them feel better about their platform. I usually just demonstrate my relatively old PC effortlessly running 15 copies of Q3 at the same time, with the FPS perfectly distributed between each instance, and then check my email flawlessly while this is all going on.
Well... Q3 is indeed a well-written program... ;) *mac zealots strike again*

FrozenThunder
Jailbait

Hmm why again?

Post by FrozenThunder » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:53 am

I see these topics popping up all over the place on almost every single forum I have ever visited.

On the topic of pc's having more mouse buttons (that has no relevance on whether pc's or macs are better or worse) A basic user who has no use for a two button mouse is happy. A big part of the user base does NOT spend 24 hours a day playing halo, call of duty, or any other games for that matter. And also 2+ button mouses are not necessary to get work done.

I've played games in the past using the standard apple mouse and it worked perfectly fine. Anyone who thinks it's the end of the world if you have to use a 1 button mouse should be gagged and backhanded for such a stupid statement.

Sure multi button mouses are useful but if your not high end developer and you just needed a decent computer to play around with then you really don't need the extra mouse button or scroll wheel. and for your information there are plenty of choices for 3+ button mouses that are in fact mac compatible (I use a 5 button mouse from Kensington on my apple iBook G4 and the 5th button is also the scroll wheel)

If I had no use for a mouse with 2 buttons I would rather not pay the extra money to get the extra buttons. And if you didn't already know, there are plenty of commands on the keyboard that you use with a click of a single button mouse that does the same thing as a left button on a 2 button mouse (Ever think of ctrl + clicking?) If you have no idea what ctrl + click means, then you have no place in arguing against a mac :P

Anyone who uses both macs and pc's will realize that macs have a ton of strong points going for them and they actually don't have many weaknesses other then the fact that developers don't want to re-write their code to use openGL to make their games mac-compatible. Macs do have a small gap in graphics card options but it's not as big as it used to.

A lot of pc users associate the lack of games as a lack in gaming capabilty on the mac platform when they are wrong. If they were to test a G5 tower to play any of their favorite games (Any that are cross-platform) then they would be happy to continue using the G5 but again developers wait long periods of time before porting their games to mac. When they do finally port the games, in most cases they find the cheapest game porting companies around and well you get what you pay for in terms of quality. Most mac ports end up sucking because the developers hire the worst people to port their games.

I wish more companies would be like Blizzard. All their games are released as hybrid cd's which means that the game cd's contain both the mac and pc versions so that you don't have to buy 2 versions in the store just to play a game over your LAN network between your mac and pc.

Another thing people often overlook is microsofts way of business. A lot of developers have been bought out by microsoft and forced to sign contracts saying that any games they make are to be made exclusively for pc or they are forced to keep it exlusive to pc for a certain length of time (depending on what the developers agreed on.) Most people don't even know that Halo originally was going to be made for mac and pc from the start but microsoft bought out the company (Bungie) and forced them to make it exclusive to X-box (Later to be ported to mac and pc). Bungie also made other titles in the past before halo that came out on both mac and pc as well. Names off the top of my head would be "Oni, Myth the Fallen Lords, and Myth 2 Soulblighter."

Edited: When bungie was bought by microsoft, the myth license was sold to another company so Myth 3 was made by someone other than bungie so I removed it from the list.

If it weren't for Microsofts endless supply of money and monopolizing practices, there would be far more developers making cross platform games. But now as more people are learning of how good macs are, there are begining to be more and more people switching over to macs whether they are video editors, graphics designers, or simple college students looking for a fast reliable computer to store notes and such.
rowenlemmings wrote:With the Macintosh, only Apple can create the hardware, so they decide exactly what will be in each of their computers. You can't swap out processors or video cards because they're built-in by the manufacturer, whereas the PCs are more capsulized.
Thats not true actually. Small Dog Electronics carries a pretty good selection of parts for upgrading various apple systems from G3 to G4's
They sell video cards, processors, hard drives, memory etc.
the link is: http://www.smalldog.com/

Apple does buy parts from other companies they don't manufacture everything themselves. But the difference between apple and every other pc company is that apple doesn't have a billion factions making their own Macintosh computers.

Apple is also extremely careful when buying parts from companies for use with apple computers unlike a ton of pc companies who just pick what's cheap so they can sell more pc's to people that aren't aware that it is a piece of crap computer.

I know that apple is careful because we've owned multiple macs in the past and each one outlived our pc's each time. Long ago we had a Performa (A really old mac back when computers barely had 100MHz processors and 8MB's of RAM) And it lasted us about 5 years. We had an old 233 MHz blueberry iMac G3 (rev A) that endured life through school which has lived 6 years before the monitor finally started dimming to the point of no visibility. And also had a 333MHz blueberry iMac G3 (rev B) that we sent back once we got better ones. Currently we have a 350, 400, and 500 Mhz Indigo iMac G3's which are my brothers, and my moms computers while I have my 933 Mhz iBook G4 and 2.7 Ghz HP Pavilion desktop.

My pc is already having it's own problems. The first week after hooking up my pc I found that once in a while at random the computer will just reset and boot up without asking me first. and no I do not have a virus because I didn't even download anything yet, the shared folder is buggy so I can't send files to the designated shared folders for movies, pictures, etc. If I upload a picture from my mac into the shared picture folder on my pc, then open the shared picture folder on my pc to retrieve the file, the finder (or windows explorer if you care so much) gets an error and has to reload itself.

Some people seem to pick the most useless things when trying explain why pc's are so-called "superior" to macs but in truth if you were to build a pc to be fast and stable you will in fact be spending approximately the same price as you would if you were to buy a G5 tower. Don't believe me? look at alienware's website at this link: http://www.alienware.com/alx_pages/area51_alx_sli.aspx

The Alienware System: Area-51 SLI
Intel® Xeon™ Processor @ 3.4GHz
Memory: 1GB DDR PC-3200 Registered ECC
Hard Drive: 148GB Western Digital® 10,000 RPM RAID 0
Graphics Processor: Dual NVIDIA GeForce™ 6800 Ultra 256MB DDR3
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy®2 ZS High Definition

And for the grand finale the pricetag at $6,073.00

Now for the G5 Tower:
Dual 2.5 GHz Power PC G5 Processor (totaling 5 Ghz)
1GB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 2x512
2x250GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm (Total 500 GB of internal Hard Drive storage)
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL (with 256MB GDDR3 SDRAM)
Airport Extreme Wireless Internet card
8x SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
And last but not least, a 20 inch Apple Cinima display (Flat Panel)

So how much does this Apple beauty cost? The Pricetag comes at $5,402.00

Check it for yourself at apples website by clicking the following link: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/W ... 11.1.0.6.3

Also the G5 is able to get an upgrade to 8GB's of RAM which is perfect for high-end Graphics design, video editing. While PC's still contain the 4GB barrier.

So much for the theory of the smaller userbase causing prices to be higher.

Now tell me again that a high end pc is oh so inexpensive or do you mean to say you could fork out that much easily.

Also macs do handle multi-tasking way better then pc's in plenty of cases. A PC running windows allows any program to take full control of the CPU which means that any program can literally trash your computer in an event that something goes wrong and also due to the lack of cpu restraint by the OS it makes it a major pain to switch between programs when one of them also happens to be a high processor sucking hog.

Macs running OSX on the other hand will limit how much of the cpu that a program is allowed to use so that the OS is still able to function properly. It in turn leaves us with a little bit lower performance in games but we don't get stuck worrying that a program crash will trash our drives.

I have both an apple iBook G4 933 Mhz and a 2.7 Ghz HP pavilion desktop pc. My pc can't handle very many programs running at the same time without some degree of slowdown while my apple laptop can effortlessly run Adobe Photoshop 7.0, Strata 3D Pro, iPhoto, iMovie, iTunes, Quicktime, Mail, and many more at the same time that I also happen to be surfing the web using Safari (one of the best web browsers ever made also made by Apple, the creators of the best portible music player "iPod" ever made)

Sadly most of the people who choose to bash the macintosh platform in actuallity have little or no knowledge of the system in which they choose to criticize. Now on some rare occations they can put a few good points in but in pretty much every case of mindless bashing I see the same trend that I noticed in the bash of Religion vs Science in which I see one side just making up stuff as they continue argueing. In most cases the exact same trend goes on with the Mac vs PC Debates.
Fournine wrote:Though, seriously, ALTIMIT should be developed and released. We need self-accomodating OS's with built in A.I. for running the whole thing. Wouldn't it be cool if you could just talk to your computer like in Star Trek?
Yes it would be awesome if Altimit was developed. And yes it is probably possible to be locked into a coma if your brain was directly linked up with a video game such as in .hack. I would be mainly concerned of what would happen in the case of a power outage while your mind is still locked into the game though. but you know those virus infected monsters can really wreak havok once they erase your characters existence when your still in the middle of play. I mean seriously Orca just got raped bigtime in mere seconds.

If it weren't for my lack of Money I'd continue on with the story beyond disk one. My characters are at lv 30 already so even the enemies that are at power lv 30 provide 1 exp when I need 1000 for a single level.

Nice to see another .hacker around :)

Anyways I'm getting a headache and I'm tired of typing now so i'm off.
Last edited by FrozenThunder on Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:21 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:16 am

You are so wrong... If I didn't have a midterm tomorrow morning I would refute you point by point.

FrozenThunder
Jailbait

re

Post by FrozenThunder » Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:17 am

Go ahead and do it after your midterm then.

I would like to see people making some decent knowledgeable debate. It would be a nice change from the whole "Macs suck because their default mouse has only 1 button!" bullcrap that goes around everywhere.

So yeah if I did get something wrong in that post then send me a link to the accurate info and I'll be happy to fix it.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Re: Hmm why again?

Post by Jeff » Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:35 pm

FrozenThunder wrote:On the topic of pc's having more mouse buttons (that has no relevance on whether pc's or macs are better or worse) A basic user who has no use for a two button mouse is happy. A big part of the user base does NOT spend 24 hours a day playing halo, call of duty, or any other games for that matter. And also 2+ button mouses are not necessary to get work done.

I've played games in the past using the standard apple mouse and it worked perfectly fine. Anyone who thinks it's the end of the world if you have to use a 1 button mouse should be gagged and backhanded for such a stupid statement.

Sure multi button mouses are useful but if your not high end developer and you just needed a decent computer to play around with then you really don't need the extra mouse button or scroll wheel. and for your information there are plenty of choices for 3+ button mouses that are in fact mac compatible (I use a 5 button mouse from Kensington on my apple iBook G4 and the 5th button is also the scroll wheel)

If I had no use for a mouse with 2 buttons I would rather not pay the extra money to get the extra buttons. And if you didn't already know, there are plenty of commands on the keyboard that you use with a click of a single button mouse that does the same thing as a left button on a 2 button mouse (Ever think of ctrl + clicking?) If you have no idea what ctrl + click means, then you have no place in arguing against a mac :P
This argument is pretty crappy. You're saying it's a good thing that Apple ships mice with one button when you admit that you had to go out and spend money on a better mouse. What? Now you're stuck with two mice; Apple's lame mouse, and a quality mouse that would ship with any PC.

Anyways, let's discuss Apple's mouse. The fact that it has only a single button and no scroll wheel is not its only drawback. Like a lot of Apple's components, the mouse is overpriced and quite obsolete. Apple sells it for $50, yet its optical resolution is a fraction of that of Microsoft or Logitech mice, which cost a fourth as much.

Apple forces its mouse upon you. You have to buy it, they give you no way to change it. When you buy a PC, you often can get whatever mouse you want.

Your argument is more like an apologia, attempting to persuade people that a one button mouse isn't so bad. That's ridiculous. Face it. Apple's mouse is shit. That's why you tossed it out and bought a replacement, like everyone else.
Anyone who uses both macs and pc's will realize that macs have a ton of strong points going for them and they actually don't have many weaknesses other then the fact that developers don't want to re-write their code to use openGL to make their games mac-compatible. Macs do have a small gap in graphics card options but it's not as big as it used to.

A lot of pc users associate the lack of games as a lack in gaming capabilty on the mac platform when they are wrong. If they were to test a G5 tower to play any of their favorite games (Any that are cross-platform) then they would be happy to continue using the G5 but again developers wait long periods of time before porting their games to mac. When they do finally port the games, in most cases they find the cheapest game porting companies around and well you get what you pay for in terms of quality. Most mac ports end up sucking because the developers hire the worst people to port their games.
Again, this is more like a half assed apologia. I don't care about the actual reasons why Macs have so few games and why the few ports that exist are so shitty compared to the original Windows version. I don't care about how much potential the platform has and how good it should be. That is meaningless. All that matters is how good it actually is.

The fact remains that Macs have a tiny handfull of the games available for PCs and the crippled ports running on a G5 tower will certainly not outperform even a half priced PC.
Another thing people often overlook is microsofts way of business. A lot of developers have been bought out by microsoft and forced to sign contracts saying that any games they make are to be made exclusively for pc or they are forced to keep it exlusive to pc for a certain length of time (depending on what the developers agreed on.) Most people don't even know that Halo originally was going to be made for mac and pc from the start but microsoft bought out the company (Bungie) and forced them to make it exclusive to X-box (Later to be ported to mac and pc). Bungie also made other titles in the past before halo that came out on both mac and pc as well. Names off the top of my head would be "Oni, Myth the Fallen Lords, and Myth 2 Soulblighter."
Ok, so Microsoft is actively buying tons of companies and adding even more quality titles to the PC pool and removing them from the Mac platform. What's your point again? How is this is a bad thing for PC users?
Some people seem to pick the most useless things when trying explain why pc's are so-called "superior" to macs but in truth if you were to build a pc to be fast and stable you will in fact be spending approximately the same price as you would if you were to buy a G5 tower. Don't believe me? look at alienware's website at this link: http://www.alienware.com/alx_pages/area51_alx_sli.aspx

The Alienware System: Area-51 SLI
Intel® Xeon™ Processor @ 3.4GHz
Memory: 1GB DDR PC-3200 Registered ECC
Hard Drive: 148GB Western Digital® 10,000 RPM RAID 0
Graphics Processor: Dual NVIDIA GeForce™ 6800 Ultra 256MB DDR3
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy®2 ZS High Definition

And for the grand finale the pricetag at $6,073.00

Now for the G5 Tower:
Dual 2.5 GHz Power PC G5 Processor (totaling 5 Ghz)
1GB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 2x512
2x250GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm (Total 500 GB of internal Hard Drive storage)
NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL (with 256MB GDDR3 SDRAM)
Airport Extreme Wireless Internet card
8x SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
And last but not least, a 20 inch Apple Cinima display (Flat Panel)

So how much does this Apple beauty cost? The Pricetag comes at $5,402.00

Check it for yourself at apples website by clicking the following link: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/W ... 11.1.0.6.3
Good job. You managed to find Alienware, one PC manufacturer out of the thousands that exist that sells computers as overpriced as Apple does. Although I don't really understand why you're comparing those two computers... Their components are so different. You kind of forgot to analyze the two computers. I will do that for you.

Alienware has two 10,000 RPM HD, Apple has two 7200s. The 10,000s are much more expensive despite the smaller capacity. If you downgraded the Alienware, you would save a fair amount of money.

Alienware has two graphics cards, Apple has one. That alone accounts for over $500.

Alienware has an extremely high end sound card, Apple has lame onboard sound. Again, this accounts for quite a bit of the price difference that you're ignoring.

Alienware comes with two optical drives: a DVD+/-RW is a lot faster and better than Apple's and a CD+/-RW that is also much better than Apple's Superdrive.

The computer you chose has a Xeon processor, which is riduclously expensive. I would have gone with a P4.

The great thing about PCs is how many options you have. Let's take a look at this (I got this for David):

http://arstechnica.com/guide/system/hotrod.html

AMD Athlon64 3200+
1Gig PC3200 DDR SDRAM
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
M-Audio Revolution 7.1 sound card
120GB 10k SATA HD
8x DVD+/-RW, CD+/-RW
16X DVD-ROM
19" CRT monitor
Logitech Z-560 4.1 speakers
(keyboard, mouse, floppy, etc. too)

$1600

Please try to find me a Mac that is comparable to that.
Also macs do handle multi-tasking way better then pc's in plenty of cases. A PC running windows allows any program to take full control of the CPU which means that any program can literally trash your computer in an event that something goes wrong and also due to the lack of cpu restraint by the OS it makes it a major pain to switch between programs when one of them also happens to be a high processor sucking hog.
That's completely wrong. You're talking out of your ass. Windows has had preemptive multitasking forever.
Sadly most of the people who choose to bash the macintosh platform in actuallity have little or no knowledge of the system in which they choose to criticize. Now on some rare occations they can put a few good points in but in pretty much every case of mindless bashing I see the same trend that I noticed in the bash of Religion vs Science in which I see one side just making up stuff as they continue argueing. In most cases the exact same trend goes on with the Mac vs PC Debates.
I have been using both platforms a lot longer than you (programming on them in fact.) I am much smarter than you, btw.

Viking Zippy
Wooter

Post by Viking Zippy » Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:35 pm

Okay, it's 11:28 (PM), and I hate to say it, but I don't have time to read
your entire post, Jeff.

Thing is, Macs may not be as 'fast' as PCs, but the OS more than makes up for that -- I seem to remember a 700 MHz PC laptop being far, far more slow in navigation than my 366 MHz iBook running OS 9.

Personally, I don't need a two button mouse; though I do occasional gaming in things such as Halo that might 'need' a two button mouse, I encounter no problems in multiplayer having one button, besides the fact that the only good mouse I've ever used is an Apple Pro. And what's the use of having a really 'fast' PC if it's going to have an amazingly laggy and unstable OS? My friend has only managed to keep his PC stable because he keeps next to nothing on it. After using my 20th Anniversary (OS 8.5) and then my iMac G4 (X.3), he's gone to great lengths to try to get OS X running on his PC.

Really, I can't ask for anything more than a really great, intuitive, stable and reliable OS in a beautiful case.

Computers are like religions. If you're fine with yours and I'm fine with mine (though I'm neutral in that realm), then let's not bitch about it. And please go without the personal attacks, that doesn't help either.

FrozenThunder
Jailbait

Re: Hmm why again?

Post by FrozenThunder » Mon Nov 22, 2004 3:35 am

Ah I love how he decided to make a personal attack against me. How professional of him.
Jeff wrote:This argument is pretty crappy. You're saying it's a good thing that Apple ships mice with one button when you admit that you had to go out and spend money on a better mouse. What? Now you're stuck with two mice; Apple's lame mouse, and a quality mouse that would ship with any PC.
It is good that Apple does not force people to pay for a multi-button mouse and for your information a big portion of the pc companies provide crappy low quality multi-button mouses with their systems. So I fail to see your point since I have to replace my pc mouse already. Also my apple computer is a laptop so I didn't order it with a mouse. So no I didn't have to replace any mice at all.

Quality mouse that ships with a pc? hah thats a laugh. I wish pc companies wouldn't include mouses with their systems. They always come with the shittiest bottom of the line mouses. The only time you get a decent one is when you custom order with a more expensive mouse.

My PC came with a mouse that from the first week had shown signs of how low quality it was. At random the mouse is unable to move the cursor to the left. it allows vertical movements perfectly fine but horizontal movements during those periods are restricted to moving the cursor to the right only. Never in my life have I seen an apple mouse have such a stupid problem as that. My older brother used to repair pc's for the schools and guess what? he encountered the same problem with those pc mouses too.
Jeff wrote:Anyways, let's discuss Apple's mouse. The fact that it has only a single button and no scroll wheel is not its only drawback. Like a lot of Apple's components, the mouse is overpriced and quite obsolete. Apple sells it for $50, yet its optical resolution is a fraction of that of Microsoft or Logitech mice, which cost a fourth as much.

Apple forces its mouse upon you. You have to buy it, they give you no way to change it. When you buy a PC, you often can get whatever mouse you want.
Again it is of far higher quality than most pc companies mice. An apple optical mouse will not only last long but it requires way less maintenance to keep it gliding smooth and at the same time it doesn't have the pesky mousball that irritated the hell out of me withh my pc. My pc came with the biggest piece of sh*t mouse and it wasn't even an optical one either. I would happily use the 1 button optical mouse on the pc which by the way is easy too do.
Jeff wrote:Your argument is more like an apologia, attempting to persuade people that a one button mouse isn't so bad. That's ridiculous. Face it. Apple's mouse is shit. That's why you tossed it out and bought a replacement, like everyone else.
Hah you are pulling crap outta your ass right there. I am not trying to pursuede anyone to settle for a 1 button mouse and a newsflash for you "Most people have no need for 2+ buttons." I didn't even need a multibutton mouse, even now. I just chose to get one since I didn't have a mouse with my laptop.

Since I was taking the time to buy a mouse I got a 5 button, but if my laptop came with the 50 dollar optical mouse from apple I wouldn't have bought the 5 button since I could do all of the mouse features just by using a combination of keys with a single button mouse click. The extra buttons are nothing more than a luxery to the average user. The only people who specifically need the extra buttons are professional users who use expensive high-end apps like Maya

Apple includes the mouse with desktop systems only. If you buy a laptop you're free to buy any mouse you choose. I have never tossed out an apple optical mouse even once. my old imac is in use by my mom and guess what? the mouse that came with it is still working perfectly and the computer is over 5 years old. Also the computer is working very well too. You just assumed that I tossed it.
Jeff wrote:Again, this is more like a half assed apologia. I don't care about the actual reasons why Macs have so few games and why the few ports that exist are so shitty compared to the original Windows version. I don't care about how much potential the platform has and how good it should be. That is meaningless. All that matters is how good it actually is.

The fact remains that Macs have a tiny handfull of the games available for PCs and the crippled ports running on a G5 tower will certainly not outperform even a half priced PC
Yes it is apparent that you have no intention of listening to a single bit of info that goes in apples favor. Apple computers are good just the developers produce halfassed crap for it in a lot of cases. But just as you stated, you do not care about the potential of a system if it were to have a well-programmed game made for it.

You say all that matters is how good the system actually is but you contradicted yourself when you said you don't care about the potential of the system. The potential of a system is the performance it would get when using a very well optimized game/app. If you compare a halfassed port to a well optimized version for another platform it becomes a 1-sided comparison that goes in your favor alone.

So it becomes apparent that you probably have only compared the mac and pc's using an app that is only optimized for pc with a ported copy on the mac. You can't say a halfpriced pc is better than a G5 because it can run a highly optimized PC game better then a powerful mac running a shitty port of the game. If you think you can accurately compare them "that way" then you are a complete nimrod.
Jeff wrote:Ok, so Microsoft is actively buying tons of companies and adding even more quality titles to the PC pool and removing them from the Mac platform. What's your point again? How is this is a bad thing for PC users?
I never said it's bad for PC users, My point is that the general collective of pc users assume pc's are better because it has more games for it when in fact it's just microsoft flaunting it's massive wallet around to cripple gaming on the mac platform by buying out all the companies who produce games for macintosh computers. A lot of developers just can't say no to large sums of cash when offered in exchange for abandoning the mac platform. Because they themselves could produce much better games if they were to recieve the money that microsoft would pay them.
Jeff wrote:I have been using both platforms a lot longer than you (programming on them in fact.) I am much smarter than you, btw.
Oh my god really!? I figured you were just an arrogant, egotistical fool. You should deflate your ego a bit before you hurt yourself.

I have to say I'm dissapointed in your response. I guess I put too much faith in you to Strike me and my post down.

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:08 pm

FrozenThunder: PC's are not crap. Wal-Mart PC's are crap and HP pavilions are crap but that does not mean that all PC's are crap(though I see how you could get that impresion).

Viking Zippy
Wooter

Post by Viking Zippy » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:50 pm

zip wrote:FrozenThunder: PC's are not crap. Wal-Mart PC's are crap and HP pavilions are crap but that does not mean that all PC's are crap(though I see how you could get that impresion).
PCs are great. The OS is horrible. The casing is ugly. Whatever though, as long as you're cautious to the point of insanity and you keep the PC clean enough (as in keeping as few files as humanly possible), there's no reason why it won't work, because the clunky (to say the least) OS.

rkn

Post by rkn » Wed Nov 24, 2004 4:55 pm

Linux is the answer... 8)