Wolf attack!!!!!!

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:57 am

The double punch is not forward + attack, it's just a standing attack from long range. I too tried to do that double punch move in debug and instead I did the wolf maul punch. The double u punch must not even be in the wolf's animation. I think Silb has enough evidence that it isn't.

There's a also a (maybe it was entirely a joke), problem with the rabbit crying off to wolfie. Whenever rabbits run for help, they completely ignore the wolves and go for the closest rabbit, even if it's on the other side of the map. Rabbits will never run to get the help of a wolf.

Ultimatum479
Meh. Inadequate.

Post by Ultimatum479 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:17 am

Wolves don't seem involved in the whole run-for-help thing at all. Not only are they not the targets of aid requests, as you noticed, but they're much too arrogant to call others for help, too.

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:22 am

I think rabbits can fetch wolves for help.

It's been a long time, but I seem to remember from my map-creating days that rabbits go for help to the first ally who is still alive, in the order enemies were created on the map. Example:

Level 11: left rabbits are n°1, 2
wolves are n°3, 4
right rabbits are 5, 6

If you attack the right rabbits, they will go for help all the way to n°1 rabbit on the left block, right through the wolves. You probably saw something like that, Zantalos. It's pretty strange.

If you kill rabbit 1 and injure n°2 on the left though, he'll go fetch wolf n°3.

(it's like a small glitch on that map- the wolves should have been created first)

Usagi
Screenshot Superhero

Post by Usagi » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:56 am

I don't use a special program; I use Control-shift-3 to take a screen, and then stack 'em up in PS and save as a GIF.

This is covered in greater depth elsewhere, but that's the gist of it.

As for the other questions:
- I have absolutely been U punched by wolves, and U punched as Wolfie.
- I have absolutely thrown wolves in a reversal.
- I have absolutely reversed wolves with my back to them.
- I have absolutely had rabbits run for wolves (and vise versa).
- I have absolutely been quick-swept by the Alpha and other wolves.
- I have absolutely used Forward + Attack to do a U punch.
- I will absolutely prove many if not all of these statements via GIF.
- I agree absolutely with all Silb's arguments.
- I will absolutely commit seppuku to resolve the contradictions in the above statements.
- I will absolutely perform the latter, but not before the former.

I'll never get tired of making GIFs to prove that it's always impossible to say something is impossible or never happens in Lugaru. It's not because I'm disputatious (tho' I am) or like to prove others wrong (I love that!!): I just love making GIFs, and this gives me an excuse.

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:31 pm

I trust what you say, Usagi, but I'm thinking that points 1, 2, 3, 4's vice versa (wolves getting help), 5 are glitches that shouldn't happen in normal play. Could you tell exactly how you get each one?

Also: have you tried punching a rabbit from afar with 'wolfieisgod' on?

Ultimatum479
Meh. Inadequate.

Post by Ultimatum479 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:23 pm

Usagi wrote:- I have absolutely reversed wolves with my back to them.
On Insane? You can't reverse _anyone_ unless you're facing them.
Usagi wrote: - I have absolutely had rabbits run for wolves (and vise versa).
I can believe the first. It's never happened to me, but that doesn't mean it can't. But no matter how near-death I bring a wolf, I've never, EVER managed to make it run for help.

Screenshots don't seem to work for me at all in Lugaru, which is why I asked. I get messy, blurred crap.

Silb, I've definitely double-punched using wolfieisgod, and been double-punched by wolves. I just tested the former before posting this.
Last edited by Ultimatum479 on Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:36 pm

Ultimatum479 wrote:Silb, I've definitely double-punched using wolfieisgod, and been double-punched with wolfieisgod. I just tested the former before posting this.
No problem, it's just that it clearly doesn't work for me, so I'm curious what the behaviour is on average for people.

Usagi
Screenshot Superhero

Post by Usagi » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:30 pm

Silb, I usually play with debug on, but only to enable slo-mo, stop-action and other things I use for taking screens.

I don't typically use the console for anything, unless it's to load a map I want to try something on.

I sometimes use the map editor, but I don't consider the play during map editor mode, or with some console command, or even slo-mo or something else (like resurrected wolves) as normal gameplay, and I never present anything that happens there as a normal occurrence.

So, although none of this makes my experiences normal, and doesn't prove they are not anomalous, they have all happened during regular gameplay. I'm surprised they haven't happened to other people, too.

Once they occur, I try to recreate them. If I can't, I call it a one-time glitch or anomaly. If I can, I consider it fair game for a GIF recreation, if it's possible to predictably set it up.

So, 1 through 5 all happened to me during gameplay more than once. The only one I haven't had regular occurrences of is a wolf running for help. That may have happened with a baby wolf, or with a changed wolf perhaps; I'll try and make it happen again. If it doesn't, we'll drop it from the list.

U479, if your screens are messy and blurred, and you haven't upgraded to the latest OS X, that may help. Mine were bad until I upgraded. This assumes you're on a Mac. I'd love to see some screens or GIFs from you.

Ultimatum479
Meh. Inadequate.

Post by Ultimatum479 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:40 pm

Usagi wrote:I'd love to see some screens or GIFs from you.
Sure thing.

See what I mean? How do I fix that?

EDIT: Upgrade OS X, you say? That costs a tad bit more than I'm willing to spend for the sole purpose of making Lugaru pics...10.3.9 should be sufficient to take snapshots of the screen, really.

Usagi
Screenshot Superhero

Post by Usagi » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:37 pm

Your link seems to be broken, so I'm hard pressed to answer.

Are you getting an image that's a series of lines that look like they were mixed together randomly from a series of screens? That's the problem I had before. If the latest OS X is too spendy, wait a while: when they release Leopard (now delayed) earlier upgrades may be offered for free.

Or not. In the meantime, I can't help you, sadly.

On another topic:
you wrote:On Insane? You can't reverse _anyone_ unless you're facing them.
Have you guys even tried this? You can't have; I do it over and over again!

Go to CL 4, run up to the wolf to attract his attention, run into the desert so you don't get mixed up with two foes, stand with your back to the wolf as he attacks and press "E!" (Better press "H" until you get the timing down: reloading is tedious.)

I'll post a GIF if I have to, but you should try it yourself. I may be the only Lugaru player who ever got Quick-swept, but I can't believe nobody else ever reversed an attack from behind.
PS: you also wrote:That costs a tad bit more than I'm willing to spend for the sole purpose of making Lugaru pics...
I don't understand: we're talking about Lugaru pics, for chrissakes!

Silb
Master cartographer

Post by Silb » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:41 am

Point 3: clear.
Points 1-2, 4's vice versa, 5 to go.

Well done. :)
Usagi wrote:
PS: you also wrote:That costs a tad bit more than I'm willing to spend for the sole purpose of making Lugaru pics...
I don't understand: we're talking about Lugaru pics, for chrissakes!
Yes what's up with him?

Usagi
Screenshot Superhero

Post by Usagi » Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:35 am

Thank you, sir. The praise of the praiseworthy is above all rewards.

However, I'm thinking it may be a while for the rest of the points; they aren't really ones you can set up. I'll just have to be on the lookout for opportunities, and I'll keep in mind that the price of Screenshot Superherodom is constant vigilance.

When I get them documented I'll post them in Yes You Can, as I did with the screens of behind-the-back reversals.

In the meantime, um, well, let's see, er.....how 'bout if I proved I can move unimpeded through the solid walls of the old Raider Base? See, it's easy, you just...No?

OK, then, oh, I dunno...pull a hat out of a rabbit?

cachiporrin
Froot Loop!!!

Post by cachiporrin » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:30 pm

guys I'm back, and ill try to help with Lugaru, Lugaru2 and wolfire software(coming soon)

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:40 pm

I've got a bad feeling about this :lol:

Kidding, wb.

Usagi
Screenshot Superhero

Post by Usagi » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:49 pm

Here you go Silb; not on the list, but a promise is a promise.

BTW, I learned something interesting about behind-the-back reversals:
- They don't seem to work on bunnies.
- It takes a lot of them to kill AlphaRalpha.