Overgrowth - Random Idea Dumping Thread

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Ultimatum479
Meh. Inadequate.

Post by Ultimatum479 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:21 am

Light leather armor would probably be more like Lugaru-type armor. Remember Turner's armor in Lugaru 1? Something like that, except that it'll actually have an effect this time around. ^_^ Granted, maybe wolves are strong enough to move in metal armor, but the rabbits probably can't.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:53 am

leDoOd wrote:If there was something like I had to jump on top of a building so I could get away from a mob of angry rabbits, it would be an inconvenience to be wearing full plate armor. I mean sure I'm going to last a bit longer against the mob if I keep my ground and fight but at least in the last lugaru 3/4 of the entire battle was doing acrobatics, which you'd be unable to do cause you were weighed down so much.
That seems more of a game play thing though, some people will want heavy armor and others won't.

That is a very specific situation and the answer would be don't wear armor in Lugaru 2.

GaGrin

Post by GaGrin » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:22 pm

Are people aware that even a moderately fit person* can do cartwheels in plate armour?

Its heavy, it does slow you down and it does restirct your movement; but not by much or else it would not have been worn!

The biggest deal with armour really is stamina as its heavy and hot you will simply get tired quicker than lighter armoured foes.

* I mean medically fit - I doubt that many people here (myself included) actually count :P

Ultimatum479
Meh. Inadequate.

Post by Ultimatum479 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:31 pm

GaGrin wrote:Its heavy, it does slow you down and it does restirct your movement; but not by much or else it would not have been worn!
...No, not really. Defense was considered much more important than mobility when fighting with weapons (especially on horseback, where the horse's mobility is much more of an issue than that of the rider). Lugaru, however, doesn't revolve nearly as much around weapons, and therefore armor is much less necessary.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:38 pm

Indeed, that is true. Which means that if you're a knight in full plate armour on horseback, if you value your life, don't freakin' fall off your horse!

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:13 pm

I think there should just be chainmail or leather armor. These were both types of armor used by early foot soldiers because they could protect from a sword slash and didn't weigh much. If you were stabbed hard enough, it would penetrate the armor, but during all those chaotic battles it was hard to stab someone directly, so they became popular. In L1, after Turner gets armor from the raider leader, slash damage is NOT reduced from that point..... in L2 ( hopefully ) Turner will receive some shiny leather or chain mail armor that will protect from sword slashes. But if you get slashed in quick succession, like in a combo, you'll take the full brunt of the damage anyways. It won't protect from blunt attacks, and it'll halve cleaving and hacking damage made by spiked maces and axes.

zatoichi

Post by zatoichi » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:31 pm

You think chainmail isn't heavy? Ever worn a hauberk? Maybe compared to plate mail it's not much, but trust me, it's heavy.

Ultimatum479
Meh. Inadequate.

Post by Ultimatum479 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:42 pm

BwS wrote:...don't freakin' fall off your horse!
Or let it get killed. Armored knights soon became less of a target than their unarmored horses, hence the creation of barding. Ah, medieval arms races...
Ragdollmaster wrote:chainmail...didn't weigh much.
Price was more of the issue than weight in that scenario, I believe, as zatoichi notes.

invertin

Post by invertin » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:41 am

Since rabbits strength is speed and jump height, I imagine few will wear full chainmail or full plate armor.

I imagine they would stick with the leather armor. Though if there are mounts (OSTRICHES) of some kind it would be smart for the riders to wear heavy armor.

Kalexon
Kalexon

Post by Kalexon » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:10 am

I've seen people move fast in full plate armor, as Gagrin said the biggest issue is stamina. So I could see a rabbit going into battle with full plate. It may limit his range of movement a bit and weigh him down, but really the only weapons that could peirce full plate was the crossbow and early firearms.

Ultimatum479
Meh. Inadequate.

Post by Ultimatum479 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:41 am

You don't have to _pierce_ full plate armor in the Lugaru world. You just rabbit-kick 'em and send them off a cliff, and watch as the extra weight gets them utterly pwnt as they land.

Kalexon
Kalexon

Post by Kalexon » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:03 am

How many battlefields have cliffs? And if you are wearing full plate wouldn't you stay away from thos areas for that reason? And besides, if you get sent off a cliff, the extra weight isn't going to matter. And finely, I doubt Turner will even get full plate, that stuff was expensive. I think it more likely that the resident rabbit goverment would be able to afford it for whatever passes as knights in there culture.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:16 am

Ultimatum479 wrote:You don't have to _pierce_ full plate armor in the Lugaru world. You just rabbit-kick 'em and send them off a cliff, and watch as the extra weight gets them utterly pwnt as they land.
While breaking your foot if you don't kick him just right.

Ultimatum479
Meh. Inadequate.

Post by Ultimatum479 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:05 pm

Kalexon wrote:How many battlefields have cliffs?
In Lugaru?...
Kalexon wrote:And besides, if you get sent off a cliff, the extra weight isn't going to matter.
In Lugaru...?
Grayswandir wrote:While breaking your foot if you don't kick him just right.
.............In Lugaru?

Viking Zippy
Wooter

Post by Viking Zippy » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:05 pm

Kalexon wrote:How many battlefields have cliffs?
In the early versions of Lugaru, instead of invisible walls, there were actually cliffs that, when fallen off of, dealt infinite damage and, for lack of a better word, caused Turner to go "splat".

Pity I never tried bringing other rabbits there and leg cannoning them off ... maybe I should see if I can dig up any of those super-old betas :D