Lugaru:Empire, Another Campaign!

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:24 am

Just played the campaign through for the second time on Difficult. Got 24,156 as a campaign score. Was funner than the first time round because this time I was used to playing Lugaru again and I could pull off better reversals.

I did this awesome combo at one stage where I ran up behind a guy with a staff, jumped and hit him with the ninja throw with the knife, landed, then spinecrushed him as he rose...I don't know how.

There was also one time I got absolutely pwned 'cause I was trying to flip over three enemies, but one of them with a staff wasn't fooled at all because he just simply turned around and, as I was about to land, whacked me with the bo-staff. I hadn't even touched the ground when he hit me. I was killed instantly and flew off, limbs a-flailing. I was awestruck by how badly pwned I had just been.

Jendraz

Post by Jendraz » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:46 pm

It's funny how fast you can die by staff. It happens to me when hitting one enemy, another will just destroy me mid-kick.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:19 am

Jendraz wrote:It's funny how fast you can die by staff. It happens to me when hitting one enemy, another will just destroy me mid-kick.
Yeah that's why I kept dying on the bridge level with the two patrols walking up and down the bridge with the bo-staves. I'd try to disarm one, and while disarming one the other would just whack me off the bridge. Game over. Lol

Jendraz

Post by Jendraz » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:04 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:
Jendraz wrote:It's funny how fast you can die by staff. It happens to me when hitting one enemy, another will just destroy me mid-kick.
Yeah that's why I kept dying on the bridge level with the two patrols walking up and down the bridge with the bo-staves. I'd try to disarm one, and while disarming one the other would just whack me off the bridge. Game over. Lol
That was the idea of 2 staff enemies. Besides wolfs..I think that's the hardest obstacle in my campaign.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:31 am

I love this. Very nice succession of events, good storytelling through dialogue.

It was missing a bit in the jumping parts, meaning there could have been more of a challenge crafted into it. And I can't say I saw any landmarks that stood out, contrary to the original campaign, which had the tower at the beginning, or the Temple campaign with its mind-blowing ice cave at the end.

Overall, your story is outstanding - your mapping needs improvement though.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:27 pm

No landmarks? You missed the big f'ing Sky Palace then, it appears.

Jendraz

Post by Jendraz » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:02 pm

rudel_ic wrote:I love this. Very nice succession of events, good storytelling through dialogue.

It was missing a bit in the jumping parts, meaning there could have been more of a challenge crafted into it. And I can't say I saw any landmarks that stood out, contrary to the original campaign, which had the tower at the beginning, or the Temple campaign with its mind-blowing ice cave at the end.

Overall, your story is outstanding - your mapping needs improvement though.
Thanks for the comment. I knew I was making a campaign that focused more on story than mapping..I wasn't as interested in the individual maps and tended to get them done fast.

But Ren does have a point, where were you in the first level? :)

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:22 pm

The temple didn't really click with me. It felt generic. I'm sorry, could be that I'm the only one seeing it like this.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:56 pm

And what made the ice cave in Silb's campaign non-generic? It didn't really have any distinctive features. It was too dark to see shit.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:17 pm

I think the architecture in both campaigns is really pushing the boundaries of what can be done in the L1 engine, and they are especially impressive considering the interface for the editor.

Jendraz

Post by Jendraz » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:33 am

David wrote:I think the architecture in both campaigns is really pushing the boundaries of what can be done in the L1 engine, and they are especially impressive considering the interface for the editor.
Lugaru allows for a lot of user control. Don't sell yourself short ;)

If I wasn't burned out, I'd make a new campaign where everyone is superpowered. I think it would be really fun.

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:36 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:And what made the ice cave in Silb's campaign non-generic? It didn't really have any distinctive features. It was too dark to see shit.
Let's drop it, alright? You're just trying to start a fire.

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:16 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:And what made the ice cave in Silb's campaign non-generic? It didn't really have any distinctive features. It was too dark to see shit.
Hmm... In the Temple expansion, I couldent find a Shit.Mdl, in the graphics files. Im not surprized you did not see shit. :P

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:14 am

rudel_ic wrote:Let's drop it, alright? You're just trying to start a fire.
I wasn't, actually. I'm just saying that both campaigns have distinctive features, and both have their strong points.

Btw, I hate on the Dante's Mansion level when you're fighting Dante and he keeps on jumping off down to the snow. Whenever that happens you're able to just go up behind him and spinecrush him. Lol

WingedWolf93

Post by WingedWolf93 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:03 am

Yeah, that makes the game way too easy. :(