Best/Worst game endings

Anything else
invertin

Best/Worst game endings

Post by invertin » Tue May 27, 2008 5:46 am

Say what you think are the best or worst. Or maybe even just say random good and bad ones.

Good
DoA4 Helena- So dramatic

Megaman ZXA- not because the actual ending sequence, but because of the boss and the thing he says before he dies which I can't say.

Bad
Lugaru- Sorry, but you kill the alpha wolf and then get "you have won well done". But we all know the gameplay makes up for that (need.. Impressive.. CG.. Cutscene for L2)

Quake 3 arena- Xero is a statue. Yay. Now what?

MONKEYZ RULE
mashed patatos and whipped cream
Location: Somewhere too warm for a jacket, yet too cold for shorts.

Post by MONKEYZ RULE » Tue May 27, 2008 10:24 am

I haven't played it but i have seen the ending for Bioshock, it has 2 endings, a good one and a bad one depending on what you did in the game, search for bioshock bad/good and watch it :)

invertin

Post by invertin » Tue May 27, 2008 11:03 am

That's not really what I meant by good and bad endings.. I meant like in quality.

Like a bad ending would be "You win" and then the game starts again.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Tue May 27, 2008 2:48 pm

really lugaru was meant to have several different endings If I remember correctly, I think, there was the one where you just leave the rabbits to govern themselves, the one where you become the king and are good, and the one where you become the king and are evil, I think all those endings would have been pretty good and would've been nice to actually see.

Makrond

Post by Makrond » Wed May 28, 2008 10:00 pm

Nobody else may agree with me, but Morrowind has a pretty good ending.

Not that it really actually has an ending, but completing the Main Quest makes you feel really good; I mean come on, how many times will you get to kill an immortal being in your life?

I recently got Oblivion, when I complete that MQ, I'll comment on it. It seems pretty good so far; the voice-acting is a little overdone in some places, but it gets the point across, and it's nice not having to read everything. Plus you get more of a feeling for the characters. I don't like the menu system though; some text here and there to tell me what the fuck those buttons mean would be nice. It took me ten minutes to figure out how to get into the different menus without pressing the function keys. And I read the manual cover to cover. Sadly I made the assumption that the pictures offered no information that the text didn't.

Freelancer. Worst ending ever. "We may need you again." What the fuck? I just kicked some serious alien butt, and you give me jack-all for it?! I WANT MY MEDALS DAMMIT!!!

Need for Speed Underground. Even for an NFS game that's fucking retarded. I didn't understand what was going on half the time, either.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Wed May 28, 2008 10:05 pm

Assassin's Creed has hands-down THE WORST ending ever. I wandered around for an hour or so until I realized that yes in fact there was nothing more I could do.

Makrond

Post by Makrond » Wed May 28, 2008 10:06 pm

Wow, that's got to suck.

Zantalos
The Postman

Post by Zantalos » Wed May 28, 2008 11:40 pm

Mass Effect has to be my favorite video game ending of all time.

Like, just the awesome triumphant music in the background, bad ass look on your character's face, man, maybe it was corny as hell but.. I couldn't tell, I was too busy smiling my damn ass off.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Thu May 29, 2008 12:01 am

Portal also has to mentioned for the aforementioned smiling-your-ass-off factor :) The ending of Shadow of the Colossus was also pretty amazing, though weird; it reminded me of 2001. Monkey Island 2 had a really bad ending (just a shake above "And then I woke up").

GaGrin

Post by GaGrin » Thu May 29, 2008 12:27 am

I'm going to disagree about Assassin's - I thought it was fairly obvious it was the end, thats mainly there for those that want to explore and unravel what else is going on. Very niche taste I suspect, so they'd certainly be doing themselves a favour if they were more main-stream with the sequal(s).

Portal just rocked. Rarely played anything that was so much pure fun from beginning to end.

SotC is genuinely beautiful. Its the kind of thing that really make me want to be part of the whole process.

Worst Endings:
Any game I get bored with before I complete it. Nothing sucks more than realising its just not fun enough to find out what happens next.

Edit:
Honestly, I'd like to see less structured stories in games. Plot should ideally evolve from play IMO, so perhaps I'm not the best to talk about this.

Chainsaw man

Post by Chainsaw man » Thu May 29, 2008 2:03 am

Medieval total war campaign was one of my favorite games but the end... ugh... I chose to play as the French. I pretty much Dominated England, started to make a bit of a wall between Germany, Dutch and Swedish conducting an alliance as i swept south and took Italy and took the pope Prisoner.
Then I decided to take the Spanish by force.

6 generations of Inbreeding with the royal family later I took nearly 85% of the World, and the game abruptly ended telling me what a great job I have done. THATS NICE, May I keep Ruling the world and run this place with an Iron fist and remain fearless of god?
Oh well, all empires must come to an end. :roll:

Another games ending I dont like is Pac man... :roll:

rudel_ic
official Wolfire heckler

Post by rudel_ic » Thu May 29, 2008 3:00 am

Chainsaw man wrote:Medieval total war campaign was one of my favorite games but the end... ugh... I chose to play as the French.
That's really the worst thing you could do. Hasn't history taught you anything? READ!

wormguy

Post by wormguy » Thu May 29, 2008 7:37 pm

David wrote:Assassin's Creed has hands-down THE WORST ending ever. I wandered around for an hour or so until I realized that yes in fact there was nothing more I could do.
This is a HARD FACT. The game built up to great climax and then just stopped. I felt really cheated.

Note to game developers: Stop making half-assed endings that obviously set up sequels. This is a really disturbing trend for me. Ugh.

NickD
Charlotte Brontë

Post by NickD » Fri May 30, 2008 12:54 am

Zelda Ocarina of Time.... no doubt best ending EVER! NO QUESTIONS!

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Fri May 30, 2008 1:00 am

wormguy wrote:
David wrote:Assassin's Creed has hands-down THE WORST ending ever. I wandered around for an hour or so until I realized that yes in fact there was nothing more I could do.
This is a HARD FACT. The game built up to great climax and then just stopped. I felt really cheated.

Note to game developers: Stop making half-assed endings that obviously set up sequels. This is a really disturbing trend for me. Ugh.
Er...don't you have to use your special vision to be able to see some specific stuff in the rooms before the credits roll?

Worst Ending:
SiN - So you fight this giant, mutated, version of the evil boss lady's father who has rockets and a giant chainsaw...and then you go to find the evil boss lady. She talks some nonsense to you, puts her hand between her legs, you blush, and then she presses a button and launches herself into the sky with some space/rocket-thing. Kinda funny in a juvenile sort of way...but really stupid...