Best/Worst game endings

Anything else
Makrond

Post by Makrond » Fri May 30, 2008 3:59 am

Okay - Oblivion.

Great concept, love playing with the physics. Armor and gold are really hard to get, though. Without cheating, I was level twelve and only had a full set of leather. Honest to god, LEATHER! In Morrowind, you had something way better than that by that point.

Most of the quest rewards seem to be either rings or heavy armor. I haven't found any seriously pwning weapons apart from the ones I make myself.

Cutting to the point, however: the ending is either the greatest ever, or the absolute worst ever.

Why it's the greatest: that is absolutely the most open ending I have ever seen for a game. Bethesda could do practically ANYTHING with the next game.

Why it's the worst ending ever: WTF?! factor. Seriously, that has got to be the biggest anti-climax in the history of Elder Scrolls. I mean, in Morrowind, you get to kill an immortal being! What do you get to do in Oblivion? Run around his feet like a little pansy and let someone else do the fighting for you! MOTHER-GOD-DAMNED-FUCKER!!!!!!!!!!
I felt so cheaped out. As much as the last little bit is pretty cool to watch, I'd rather slash at the final boss's feet and get a feel for his awe-inspiring power, than what actually happened.
The worst part: that's it. The Empire is seriously fucked. Now what? You go back two weeks later and get some pissy armor. Then what? You can't even go and close the remaining Oblivion Gates; all you can do is just hope there's some decent quests out there. And there's really not enough kinds of armor, either. Especially not light armor.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri May 30, 2008 6:59 am

GaGrin wrote:Portal just rocked. Rarely played anything that was so much pure fun from beginning to end.
Ditto, great ending, but also the best end credits song.

"But there's no sense crying over every mistake,
You just keep trying 'til you run out of cake."

Epic.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Fri May 30, 2008 7:07 am

I'm listening to that song right now! 8)

Too bad I can't play portal with a mac. I miss the Compaq laptop with Windows ME… :(

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Fri May 30, 2008 7:18 am

Aww man that sucks...
Commit treason and buy a PC!
lawl I know you'll never do that.
The song is great though isn't it?

And when you're dying I'll be
Still Alive
And when you're dead I will be
Still Alive

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Fri May 30, 2008 10:51 pm

I might… I still have a handy little railgun/raygun to use when the Mac Brigade comes to hunt me down… :twisted:

Makrond

Post by Makrond » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:05 am

Hey, that's funny... I still have my old Compaq laptop... although we upgraded to Windows 2000... it had Millennium Edition for a while though.

rakyth

Post by rakyth » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:49 am

Count Roland wrote:really lugaru was meant to have several different endings If I remember correctly, I think, there was the one where you just leave the rabbits to govern themselves, the one where you become the king and are good, and the one where you become the king and are evil, I think all those endings would have been pretty good and would've been nice to actually see.
Actually, Roland, the levels for the different choices are there, just mess around with maps 25-30. You should get the evil one, and a rather nice ending...
Some naked bunny rabbits have an uprising, you have a sword, combat experience, and armor.. They just have like 20 naked rabbits. Quite fun, as when they don't mob you, you slice and you're done.
Just thought you'd like to know there are more then that 1 ending, you just can't choose them, but you can see them.

rakyth

Post by rakyth » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:00 am

..Well, if anybody played anything by the team that made Mass Effect before the teasers went out, Jade empire was one of the things they made.
Generally, the gameplay was kinda fun...With the exception if you put it past easy. Easy was too mindless to have meaning, though kicking your enemy in the face like 2 times and have them falling to the ground was fun, while medium was wayyyyyyyy too hard. I tried sparing, at the very beginning (they used it as a tutorial), and it was like a boss battle...Yeah! It only took 10 minutes instead of 15 seconds!!...Regardless, a lot of it didn't make sense until the ending....If I remember correctly, the ending was: Your master was the 1 of the 3 brothers of the Emperor. He was the strategist, and, according to the dialog, "I taught you to fight like a tyrant, but with a flaw.."..You had to fight your master, and the endings generally sucked, and..On top of that, the fight with your master was kinda cheap if you knew the strategy..(I actually tried it on medium, you can change difficulty any point in the game except during combat)..The strategy held, and he was easier then the tutorial. Ultimately, the gameplay and plotline held until the ending. Then you just WTF IS THIS @#&%?! until you turned off your Xbox, due to @%&$ ending.

[Edit 1:By the way, I know this is like a full-fledged review. You can't really understand how terrible the ending is until you found out the gameplay was actually, awesome, and the boss fight was awesome, too...And, they could have one-upped you and given a DANG GOOD ending for each of the 3 choices(Alignment: The 'good' alignment ending differed if you had a good alignment or if you had a bad alignment, same with the rest). They could have. They didn't... Though, imagining better endings was kinda fun while I beat some poor sap's face in.]
[Edit 2: Sorry for the double post!]

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:44 pm

I never said they weren't there though I suppose it could have been interperted as that, what I meant to say was too bad they weren't, or couldn't be included in the campaign.

shadow717

Worst game ending

Post by shadow717 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:18 pm

resistance: Fall Of Man, had the worst ending. You get blown up in a nuclear bomb in London, then somehow survive. Then your abducted and taken to Iceland. WTF?

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:25 pm

imo, resistance: fall of man sucked all together
it played like halo on earth to me...
=P

but yeah Portal had better have a sequel or the ending to it sucks...(besides the credits song)...i mean the ending is SO OPEN to a sequel

Half-Life 2 - AMAZING game...TERRIBLE ending
i mean you finally win and then time stops RIGHT before you would have died in the explosion from the citadel

Valve games a whole just seem to ALL have cliffhangers...

Ragdollmaster

Re: Worst game ending

Post by Ragdollmaster » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:42 pm

shadow717 wrote:resistance: Fall Of Man, had the worst ending. You get blown up in a nuclear bomb in London, then somehow survive. Then your abducted and taken to Iceland. WTF?

That ending made no fucking sense whatsoever. You blow up a nuclear reactor and then end up surviving when you were 100 feet from it when a mushroom cloud erupted and incinerated half of London. (and apparently you're taken to the U.S, because that's where Resistance 2 takes place) Too much of the WTF factor. Close to nothing about the Chimera is fully explained, you learn absolutely nothing about the 'Cloven' except that they're Russian cannibals who kill Chimera and Human forces, and most pissingly, the game was so fucking short! There were so many time-lapses between the levels that could be filled in with missions; when you're traveling to southern command, escaping the Grimsby conversion center, traveling through the mines and into C-3, etc. It was like a first-person-view, mature, more realistic and less cartoony version of the Ratchet and Clank series that Insomniac is famous for.

Jendraz

Post by Jendraz » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:55 pm

Count Roland wrote:really lugaru was meant to have several different endings If I remember correctly, I think, there was the one where you just leave the rabbits to govern themselves, the one where you become the king and are good, and the one where you become the king and are evil, I think all those endings would have been pretty good and would've been nice to actually see.
You can read the dialogues for them. They're in the data folder.

nerodx
confused couch potato

Post by nerodx » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:30 pm

Hm, I liked Half Life 2's ending, but I'm also including Episode 1 and 2, so really I think that the ending from episode 2 was good, the others were just like plot twists mid-game.

Anywho, the ending to Knights of the Old Republic 2 was like, really confusing to me. Like I couldn't tell who died or was still alive in the end or anything. Plus either it never said or I don't remember how they get off of the last planet. The ship was destroyed 5 minutes ago how'd they fix it that fast? Plus I just thought that betrayal thing was way too obvious. Of course now that I think of it I never finished the game as an evil charachter, maybe it would have made more sense then.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:40 pm

resistance sucked
end of story

resistance 2 is all the series has left
and all it's promising is more players for online modes

and nerodx
i really hate cliffhangers
unless it's OBVIOUS that they're going to have a sequel (not sure if ep 3 will ever exist), then they're useless and just leave more to complain about