Quotes

Anything else
Lotus Wolf

Quotes

Post by Lotus Wolf » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:44 pm

Anyone heard or said anything witty, or powerful lately?

"While the truncheon may be used in lieu of conversation, words will always retain their power. Words are means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this country, isn't there? Cruelty and injustice, intolerance and oppression. And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission."

This comes to mind because two Democracy Now speakers were arrested on the grounds of "rioting" :evil:

The corruption runs deep...

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Re: Quotes

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:31 am

Winston Churchill,
4th of June 1940.

"I have, myself, full confidence that if all do their duty, if nothing is neglected, and if the best arrangements are made, as they are being made, we shall prove ourselves once again able to defend our Island home, to ride out the storm of war, and to outlive the menace of tyranny, if necessary for years, if necessary alone.

At any rate, that is what we are going to try to do. That is the resolve of His Majesty's Government-every man of them. That is the will of Parliament and the nation.

The British Empire and the French Republic, linked together in their cause and in their need, will defend to the death their native soil, aiding each other like good comrades to the utmost of their strength.

Even though large tracts of Europe and many old and famous States have fallen or may fall into the grip of the Gestapo and all the odious apparatus of Nazi rule, we shall not flag or fail.

We shall go on to the end,
we shall fight in France,
we shall fight on the seas and oceans,
we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air,
we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be,
we shall fight on the beaches,
we shall fight on the landing grounds,
we shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
we shall fight in the hills;
we shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this Island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old.
"

...I'm aware this extremely stretches the interpretation of the word "lately".

invertin

Post by invertin » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:45 am

I don't know when it was said, but my favorite has and probably always will be (well, apart from Churchill's speech) Albert Einstien

"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not so sure about the universe."

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:51 am

"A good man is hard to find, but a hard man is good to find."
~ Your Mom.

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:35 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:"A good man is hard to find, but a hard man is good to find."
~ Your Mom.
:lol:

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:40 pm

...I'm aware this extremely stretches the interpretation of the word "lately".
This is true, however, it doesn't have to be recent.

"And so, hundreds of years later, an idea can still change the world." - V for Vendetta

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:12 pm

Confucious say; stupid man give wife grand piano, wise man give wife upright organ.

Cmyszka

Post by Cmyszka » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:34 pm

Confucius say: go to bed with itchy hiney, wake up with stinky finger

"Ignorance killed the cat, curiosity was framed."

"Give a man fire and you keep him warm for a day. Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life."
-Grayswandir

"You know how people are. They only recognize greatness when some authority confirms it."
-Calvin from "Calvin and Hobbes" by Bill Watterson

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:41 pm

confucious say; man who live in glass house should dress in basement, man who stand on toilet high on pot, man who go through airport turnstile sideways going to bangkok, passionate kiss like spiders web soon lead to undoing of fly, virginity like bubble one prick all gone.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:19 pm

Cmyszka wrote:"Give a man fire and you keep him warm for a day. Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life."
-Grayswandir
I think that was meant to be ironic. Either that or you live in ignorance of the fact that the quote is actually from a Terry Pratchett novel.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:15 am

The meaning of life is to look at the bright side of it.
-Gandalf the Green.

And yes, there's strong thoughts and major stories to be drawn from that.

Jendraz

Post by Jendraz » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:33 am

Here's my romantically deluded one:

"seems to me the place you fight cruelty is where you find it, and the place you give help is where you see it needed. Or is that wrong, Dr. Grumman? I'm only an ignorant aeronaut." - Lee Scoresby

Here's my "disillusioned with solidity and meaning" one:

"The usual paralyzing tricks of eye fooling are used with the most imperialistic fury of precision to systemize confusion and thus to help discredit completely the world of reality." - Salvador Dali

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:32 am

I like that second one... it even seems Zen-like...

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:01 am

Fantastic Lee Scoresby quote from the His Dark Materials trilogy. I love Mr. Scoresby. <3 Those last segments with him in the mountain pass are pretty amazing.

"A fine upstanding citizen wouldn't have stooped so low, but he hadn't got this job because he was a fine upstanding citizen. Some tasks needed a good honest hammer. Others needed a twisty corkscrew."
~ Terry's Pratchett's "Going Postal".

Sometimes life needs people to do the dirty things. Maybe people shouldn't always look down on people for doing the things they never could themselves.

Moist stared at his reflection, barely listening. He always raised the stakes, automatically. Never promise to do the possible. Anyone could do the possible. You should promise to do the impossible, because sometimes the impossible was possible, if you could find the right way, and at least you could often extend the limits of the possible. And if you failed, well, it had been impossible.
~ Terry's Pratchett's "Going Postal".

Trying to raise the stakes isn't always a bad thing. If you fail, at least now you know it's not possible, rather than sitting around forever and having to rue the day you didn't test yourself.

Miss Flitworth: "I take it you do dance, Mr. Bill Door?"
Death: FAMED FOR IT, MISS FLITWORTH.

~ Terry Pratchett's "Reaper Man".

I KNEW I'D MISSED SOMEONE.

The Death of Rats nodded. SQUEAK?

Death shook his head.

NO, I CAN'T LET YOU REMAIN, he said. IT'S NOT AS THOUGH I'M RUNNING A FRANCHISE OR SOMETHING.

Death: NO, YOU CAN'T RIDE A CAT. WHO EVER HEARD OF THE DEATH OF RATS RIDING A CAT? THE DEATH OF RATS WOULD RIDE SOME KIND OF DOG.

"I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that makes living worthwhile?"

Death thought about it.

CATS, he said eventually, CATS ARE NICE.

~ Terry Pratchett's "Sourcery".

Ipslore: "Curse you!"
Death: MANY HAVE

~ Terry Pratchett's "Sourcery".

The last few are for your enjoyment.

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:21 pm

"What does that mean!?!" ~ My Algebra Teacher :lol:

I find this funny because he is a new teacher, and he doesn't know how to do the Quadratic Formula. :roll: