Lugaru for sale (registered version)

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.

Should Lugaru owners be allowed to sell their registration number?

Yes
29%
No
71%

Total votes: 17

Luposian

Lugaru for sale (registered version)

Post by Luposian » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:41 am

(removed by Jeff: person trying to sell his Lugaru serial number.)

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:55 am

You bought a personal license to play Lugaru, you did not buy a physical product. Hence, you obviously are not allowed to resell it, let alone undercut the author on his own website.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:50 am

Selling your registration code is also known as piracy... please don't do that. Anyone willing to buy your registration code would also be willing to buy it legitimately from Wolfire Software, so by doing this you would be directly stealing money that I could otherwise use for my next project.

Flickta

Post by Flickta » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:15 am

David wrote:Selling your registration code is also known as piracy... please don't do that. Anyone willing to buy your registration code would also be willing to buy it legitimately from Wolfire Software, so by doing this you would be directly stealing money that I could otherwise use for my next project.
There are lots of used games sold on internet auctions... You mean it is illegal to sell those games? Or is it just because Lugaru comes not on physical media, but rather in a form of a reg. number?
I know Lugaru well and think it is worth buying.

Still, that aspect of software licensing bugs me a lot. When you buy a piece of software, you are actually buying NOTHING. Nothing at all. It MAY or may NOT work on your computer, it can erase your harddrive, you can realise that you do not want to play/use it... In any case - your money is lost.

Thoughts?

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:05 pm

It would be piracy if he sold it and continued to use it.. and since there is no physical changing hands nothing prevents the original owner from using it,[ed] so it would have to go on trust that it has infact "changed hands".[/ed]
I don't see any reason someone couldn't sell their copy of Lugaru, does Lugaru have an EULA?

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:37 pm

It is problematic because it is purely intellectual property, and also because nothing is physically changing hands. I.e. there is nothing to stop someone from selling one copy of Lugaru to a dozen people, or to a million people. It is one thing to buy, say, a Gamecube game and then use it for a while and then sell it to someone else, and another thing to do that with a shareware game. It is the same reasoning behind why stores rent out console games and do not rent out PC and Mac games; people could just copy the game to their computer and then return the physical CD's.

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:00 pm

Perhaps Lugaru should start phoning home.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:02 pm

Flickta wrote:There are lots of used games sold on internet auctions... You mean it is illegal to sell those games? Or is it just because Lugaru comes not on physical media, but rather in a form of a reg. number?
I know Lugaru well and think it is worth buying.
I know someone who got their account suspended on eBay for selling a used copy of Windows XP. It certainly is illegal to sell a personal registration number. The fact that it is personally registered to your full name is supposed to allude to that.
Flickta wrote:Still, that aspect of software licensing bugs me a lot. When you buy a piece of software, you are actually buying NOTHING. Nothing at all. It MAY or may NOT work on your computer, it can erase your harddrive, you can realise that you do not want to play/use it... In any case - your money is lost.

Thoughts?
That's what demos are for. It pisses me off when people purchase my software without trying my trial and then complaining that it doesn't work or they don't like it. That's the whole point of the trial!

As for losing your money... Why do people expect to keep their money after buying something?

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:26 pm

Hey, Jeff, do you have your own site with your own sofware? Or do you help David with his work? (Sorry if this came up somewhere else, I've only belonged to these forums since January.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:06 pm

Blorx wrote:Hey, Jeff, do you have your own site with your own sofware? Or do you help David with his work? (Sorry if this came up somewhere else, I've only belonged to these forums since January.
http://amazon.wolfire.com

Flickta

Post by Flickta » Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:05 am

Jeff wrote: As for losing your money... Why do people expect to keep their money after buying something?
Consumer rights. If you buy something, and this something is of a low quality, you get your money back.

If there are demos of the program/game, it is possible to evaluate before buying, but sometimes (and very often) there are no demos or demo can differ vastly from the final product.
-----

I see no difference between the registrration number and a disk, because in every case you can keep the software after selling it...

WoW being a different example. Blizzard could give away boxes for free and sell only reg. numbers. And you can't sell your reg. number and keep playing... But this is an Online game!

And I strongly recommend not to use phoning home in regular apps. It equals software to spyware... it is bad.
After all, software will ALWAYS be stolen, there are no absolutly reliable ways of protection.

If an application is good, it will sell.
-----

Well... I feel ill, I have to get some sleep.

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:17 pm

Phoning home is not spyware.
It doesnt' bother me if an app phones home as long as all its doing is checking my registration number. If it sends any other data then it becomes spyware.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:28 pm

Selling shareware games is more harmful than piracy, in my opinion. If everyone who buys my game sells it to someone else, I will definitely get half as many sales as if they did not. If everyone who buys it gives it to one other person who might or might not have been willing to buy it, I will probably still get something like 2/3 as many sales.

Basically, unauthorized selling of games and piracy of games can both be legitimately called stealing, and selling even more so than piracy.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:04 pm

Let's end this,
Selling shareware #s/licences is piracy
Piracy is illegal
Therefore David can sue you
Which would put you in jail

The end (lock please)

zip
lugaruguru

Post by zip » Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:42 pm

Unless the person who is selling their license deletes their copy and license after the sale.