nerodx
confused couch potato

Re: jessica alba or paris hilton?

Post by nerodx » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:52 pm

Jessica Alba wins, everytime.

rebel28

Post by rebel28 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:36 pm

nerodx wrote:Jessica Alba wins, everytime.
true, check the poll if you don't believe him.

Groveller

Post by Groveller » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:19 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:You'd be wrong in thinking that.
I may well be. I often am. But I've been hearing the if a woman\if a man thing since high school, and I think it's a terribly one sided oversimplification of a fairly complicated issue, which has come about because it's far easier to go with popular opinion than to develop a balanced point of view.

But this probably isn't the place for an in-depth discussion of the sentiment.

Skofo

Post by Skofo » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:40 am

Oh come on, you couldn't have made an easier opinion poll. :lol:

I voted for the obvious choice.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:49 am

I thought you left? lawl

Anyway, Groveller, it is pretty much true. If a girl enjoys sex, she's generally regarded as a slut. I've experienced this a lot in college. "Oh she slept with a few guys in the course, she's a slut." Then a guy does it, good with women, sleeps around a bit, and it's like "Wow he's such a cool guy."

II don't agree at all that it's a big philosophical discussion or a complicated issue, as you said. It's more of a fact of life.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:15 am

I chose Jessica Alba because I am technically working for the Hilton Family, and therefore, they don't get my vote.

Groveller

Post by Groveller » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:40 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:I thought you left? lawl

Anyway, Groveller, it is pretty much true. If a girl enjoys sex, she's generally regarded as a slut. I've experienced this a lot in college. "Oh she slept with a few guys in the course, she's a slut." Then a guy does it, good with women, sleeps around a bit, and it's like "Wow he's such a cool guy."

II don't agree at all that it's a big philosophical discussion or a complicated issue, as you said. It's more of a fact of life.
So you never hear people called things like man-whore and sleaze-bag? Never hear people say things like "men are only after one thing"?

And look at it the other way. A guy who doesn't "sleep around a bit" is not a real man, probably gay, and possibly a communist.

Of the only three women I've known that had a reputation as sluts, two had each gone through 80% of the guys I knew and about 20% of the girls, and the third had tried just as hard but was less successful.

I won't deny that women are sometimes unfairly labeled, but I don't think it's such a one-way thing.

tomascokis

Post by tomascokis » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:24 am

The english language does not always have direct counter parts, so the male equivalent to a slut does not have to be a single, summed up description. When attempting dynamically in conversation to represent that in words, the phrase "That man only wants one thing" would slip into the conversation to provide a base for any other descriptions to add on. The phrase itself though falls for a stereotype that men are more sexually driven than women, and if anyones seen my other post about stereotypes becoming reality due to social pressure, there is an exception to that, when the host is given an equal or higher drive to continue the in-tolerated action regardless (or ignorant) of the consequences. This stereotype is more evolved, due to the gap between the sexes nobody really can know what is the driving force behind the other gender, and you have to make an educated guess based on - and influenced by - various factors. This lack of knowledge gives stereotypes an easy job, kind of a "Hey I don't know about that but society sure seems to know a lot about it" thing.

- Once again I have turned a normal topic discussion into some kind of philosophic debate

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:57 am

Groveller, that is my point. With men it's "men only want one thing", but with them it's not seen as disgusting. When a woman is like that, though, it's seen as revolting by both genders.

Tomascokis also makes some very valid points. Things which are just stereotypes that have become ingrained in society actually begin to have the illusion of fact simply because they're such popular opinions. I don't really think men are more sexually driven than women, it's just that group thought means that people begin to agree on things they may not necessarily think themselves or even agree with; it may only be that they're saying something is true because they've heard other people say it's true, or they saw it on TV or something of that nature.

I didn't get everything to do with your point, it was quite...umm...tangential. Or maybe it was just I'm not clever enough to comprehend what you've said as a whole. I got bits and pieces. Were you agreeing with what I said? I can't really tell.

Groveller

Post by Groveller » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:12 am

Maybe not disgusting, but it's certainly not meant as a compliment. I wouldn't think revolting is the right word, either.

That said, though, we're from different places and different social circles. It shouldn't be too surprising if my observations and yours don't match.

Skofo

Post by Skofo » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:17 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:I thought you left? lawl
I love you guys too much. :cry:

Call me weak-willed.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:56 pm

I knew you'd be back. You were doing it just to try to prove a point and make people feel bad...I think it backfired.

Skofo

Post by Skofo » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:32 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:I knew you'd be back. You were doing it just to try to prove a point and make people feel bad...I think it backfired.
No, I left because I didn't think that the situation could get any better from there, especially since I wasn't even aware that I was offending anyone. But I missed this place so I decided that I'll leave when I get banned.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:48 pm

could we just shut up and welcome skofo back? he left, he returned, starting another argument isn't going to change anything, it's just gonna piss both sides off. :D