obligatory introduction thread

Anything else
Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Re: obligatory introduction thread

Post by Wilbefast » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:39 am

Huh? Yeah? I can do Aikido, ya know! You want me to pull an Irimi on you? Huh?
Right then!
*takes a step forward*
Lol - I was kind of chuffed to get "Aikido Master" in Lugaru - speaking of which, seems like It's actually impossible to register using an AZERTY keyboard with no num-pad, like the one I'm now using, because you can't enter the "-"s between sets of numbers: normally you'd press 6 to get "-" or shift+6 to get "6", but Lugaru recognises it as a "^" as on a QWERTY. Course I tried all the other buttons but none of them would produce the magic "-"... Sucks to be French.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:59 am

there probably is a way to do it, do you have an fn key?

Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Post by Wilbefast » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:27 am

I think but not sure how that'd help - it's a pity because on the other computer I didn't have any sound effects, only music, and now I can only enjoy the sound effects on the first couple of levels :(

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:30 am

well on my brother's computer a few keys don't work so he can't type a - normally he has to hold fn+; and it will give him a - so that might work though with a different key. hope this works out for you, you might try getting some help in the irc or from the live chat window.

Wilbefast

Post by Wilbefast » Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:51 am

You're right - you can get the "-" via the fn key, I didn't see that first time round! 3 cheers for Count Roland - now I am free to grief rodents to my heart's content! I've figured out another way of doing to too: I'd installed both keyboards when I set up XP and you can switch between them with shift+alt - I can basically emulate a QWERTY keyboard, which is handy since WASD becomes ZQSD on an AZERTY, and some games don't let you reconfigure the controls, which makes it somewhat difficult to play them :-S

Coming to think of it, Supersoldat uses WASD input and you can't change it - In future I'm going to make my games compatible with both keyboard setups.

Discovered Toribash yesterday - it's the numeric version of heroine in my book: turn based fighting game where you control your fighter by contracting or extending various muscles - trying to figure out how to do Irimi Nage on it :P

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:09 pm

hahah great talk to me on the irc sometime and we might play each other on toribash. thanks for the cheers hahah.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:04 pm

Ah, yes, toribash.... I played at that.

Ironically enough, they have 'Aikido' style servers there, while in this game it is absolutely impossible to successfully execute any Aikido techniques more advances than an Irimi (a step forward), which on its own is already very hard to do, while nowhere near in the right posture.

Even more ironically, these Aikido servers were the servers where I had the highest win-ratio.

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:57 pm

Yeah, the different servers have gameplay rules very loosely based on the various different martial arts. Personally, I play on Judo servers and custom servers a lot. Gotta love judo throws.

tomascokis

Post by tomascokis » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:33 pm

My name is predictably Tomas Cokis, I found lugaru when I was searching through some old cd's (the ones you get free with some mac magazines) and found a copy of lightnings shadow. Instant success. 3 years later I decide to run a background check and I find lugaru. Loved it.

Anyway - thats how I discovered wolfire, but more about me:

Programming:

I use flash CS4 and I'm currently learning the scripting language of the torque game engine, I hope to eventually get into 3d game production, but I've only started this year and I have been to busy to do much, so I decided to pin it on my new years resolution.

Games:

I am a macintosh window shopper, I have a macbook pro 17 inch, the generation back from the current one and I have to date 102 games, about half of which are trails and demos. Needless to say if anyone wants something to do on a mac, they can ask me.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:16 am

We, Wolfire Wabbits, Welcomes Wou.
Er...
You.
Yes.

Hai!

tomascokis

Post by tomascokis » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:17 am

umm...

thanks?

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:26 am

hahah any games you'd recommend?

tomascokis

Post by tomascokis » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:43 am

command and conquer tiberuim wars and generals.

if you have generals with zero hour you can download an awesome mod called shockwave

Halo 1 is also very good. I have 109 games and I've mentioned 3.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:08 am

I was thinking some less common ones preferably indie.

Wilbefast

Post by Wilbefast » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:17 am

EA is pretty much the least indie company in existance. Couple of free games that you should play, just off the top of my head:

Plasma Pong dangerously addictive - remember to sleep
Globulation 2 a different take on RTSs - three cheers for open source!
World of Goo okay, not free, but the demo is nice and long
Narbacular drop look familliar?
Knytt/Knytt Stories also dangerously addictive - remember to eat
Lugaru if you haven't played this yet, what are you doing here?
Battle for Wesnoth the fantasy setting is about as original as the wheel, but it's got a heap of content, it's good fun, and it's open source (turn based strategy with a good deal of tactics)
Toribash also dangerously addictive - remember to breath
Zombie 4 a very interesting browser game which is part Zombie shooter and part strategic, um, - oh just play the damn thing

And some classic (by which I mean oldish) commercial games - though I'm not saying you'll agree with my tastes:

Alien vs Predator 2 This game has a brilliant singleplayer and a great multiplayer, and is one of the few FPS that feature teams with different strength and weaknesses
Conker's Bad Fur day if you have a Nintendo64 handy
Super Smash Brother if you also have friends handy. I don't obviously :cry:
Rome: Total War But who needs friends if you have Rome? Far better than Medieval 2 in my opinion, and less buggy (I'm referring to the release version - don't come whining to me about patches)
Sacrifice It's got that dude, what's his name? You know, Frankenfurter from the Rocky Horror Picture Show, and he's in the new Red Alert.
Total Annihilation Or Supreme Commander if you have a super computer handy
Evil Genius or Dungeon Keeper 2 - same game, different setting
Abe's Odyssey series if Tim Burton made games. Actually that would probably make him American McGee - what a strange name! It's like me calling myself "Australian McCrickey".
Populous the Beginning or Black and White 1 - not 2, because we don't like EA.

And some big, mainstream titles that really hit the spot:

Spiderman 2 Who'd have thought it would be so good?! They stole heavily from Rockstar and made it work.
The Orange Box It's orange and box shaped and backed to the brim with gaming goodness
Left4Dead They can be excused the 4 because it's such a good game: I think they got the inspiration from the Counter Strike Vampire Slayers mod - make sure you play that first if you have a copy of Counter Strike handy
God of War series Better than sex - or at least that's what I tell myself so I can sleep at night
The Witcher Gotta hand it to the Poles. Make sure you pick up the version where they bothered to have the English dialogue written by a native.
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory The best of the series - pity there's that bloody Starforce CD protection on it.
GTA San Andreas A game that gives a play a huge world and says "run wild". With guns.

That's all I can think of for the moment,

Australian McCrickey