Cutscenes in Overgrowth?

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
danster724

Cutscenes in Overgrowth?

Post by danster724 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:35 am

So does anyone know whether the devs are planning on using real cutscenes to progress story in Overgrowth? I'm not talking about the little dialouge exchanges that they used in Lugaru. I mean actual on screen movieish type thing like you see in most games to go from level to level. While it might not be a desirable addition to the game as modders won't be able to use the feature (at least not easily) I think that cutscenes would be a good idea.

Ozymandias

Re: Cutscenes in Overgrowth?

Post by Ozymandias » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:45 am

I think with the ability to give modders a 'cutscene camera' option and be able to give people certain actions at certain times it would make cutscenes possible.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:30 pm

I think the problem with this is that it may mean having to use vocal dialogue, which would mean voice actors, and wolfire can't afford professional ones yet, and I'm fairly sure it's against their morals to let anyone work for them for free.

danster724

Post by danster724 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:15 pm

They've made games with real cutscenes long before they had enabled voice acting into games at all. It requires some creativity but it might still be accomplsihable without voice acting. It is a good point thought.

Groveller

Post by Groveller » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:23 am

I think Lugaru style dialogue would be fine. If updated, refined and improved as much as every other aspect of the game is, anyway. And if it worked.

OK, so not so much Lugaru style, but still cutscenes scripted in-engine. Pretty as the game will look, there should be no need for actual pre-rendered videos to play between levels.

tomascokis

Post by tomascokis » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:59 am

If by cutscenes you mean camera movement, panning or translating to a new point, then I think that is the exact kind of feature that the dev's would be looking at

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:47 am

Simply just have 'subtitles' for when people speak, maybe at certain parts have it so that the player has to click to go to the next dialog a-la Lugaru, and in other parts have the text appear for a set number of seconds (like when the camera is moving and such.)

Then again, people would need to read the text and watch at the same time...

gamegoo

Post by gamegoo » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:45 pm

I think having some action in the cutscenes would be good. YOu kill a guy and some cutscene comes up showing you cleaning your blade and walking off into the sunset or something like that. Dialogue would still be possible.

Jeff
Evil Twin

Post by Jeff » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:01 pm

Count Roland wrote:I'm fairly sure it's against their morals to let anyone work for them for free.
Why is that immoral?

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:17 pm

Indeed, why is it immoral? If it was immoral, I'd be yelling at them very loudly to get some type of payment for all the advertisement I've done/I'm doing. =o

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:12 pm

hahah I'm not saying it's immoral, I'm saying it's against their morals, which obviously it isn't, I was just remembering a post on the idev forums where someone offered to work for free and the developer (I forget who it was someone familiar) said no they wanted to pay. of course that may not be morals so much as a want for dedication.