Staff's... breakability

The place to discuss all things Lugaru.
eyeCube

Staff's... breakability

Post by eyeCube » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:31 pm

Is there any way (possibly, in a mod or console command) to make the staff unbreakable? If so, please tell me, I'll try it out. If not, oh well.

Healey

Re: Staff's... breakability

Post by Healey » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:44 pm

oh well.

invertin

Post by invertin » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:58 am

I'm pretty sure it's breakability is hard-coded. So unless lugaru modding has another revelation, staves (staves? Staffs?) are always breakable.

You could always edit the "breaking" texture into something different. like... A bunch of smily faces or something.

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:20 pm

ummm.... in my {epically vast} experience with traditional stick fighting, classic staff combat and basic bo-stick usage, the breakability is very realistic. i wouldn't change it, the realism of this game (other than anthropomorphic mammals) is part of what makes it the best ever!
Last edited by Lotus Wolf on Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:01 pm

Lotus Wolf wrote:ummm.... in my {epically vast} experience with traditional stick fighting, classic staff combat and basic bo-stick usage, the unbreakability is very realistic. i wouldn't change it, the realism of this game (other than anthropomorphic mammals) is part of what makes it the best ever!
wait, you mean the BREAKability, right? Like a baseball bat, they can break when you'd rather not have that happen. :)

I like the fact that they break just 'cause they're such a powerful weapon--- it forces you to strategise who you're going to save 'em for, makes you grab 'em from a rabbit and scurry away to drop them so you can conserve their goodness for a wolf.

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:05 pm

my bad, yeah i meant breakability :oops:

invertin

Post by invertin » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:08 am

kehaar wrote:it forces you to strategise who you're going to save 'em for, makes you grab 'em from a rabbit and scurry away to drop them so you can conserve their goodness for a wolf.
Now I want to play a roguelike.

Hm.. A Lugaru roguelike... That would be strange.

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:48 am

invertin wrote: Now I want to play a roguelike.

Hm.. A Lugaru roguelike... That would be strange.
Wait-- a what?

Is that like a lagomorph? No, wait, that's a rabbit...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ochotona_princeps.jpg
here's a Pika. Not very ferocious looking, but enemies are misled by their cuteness... turns out they're wicked fast with a razor sharp balisong.

invertin

Post by invertin » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:54 am

A roguelike is a kind of game. It's just that kind of thinking that reminded me of a roguelike.

Wait, that thing is supposed to be dangerous? Actually. Considering how cute nature actually is, that's not surprising. Just look at pandas!

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:53 pm

Dangerous?! OMG!
Ok, not really.

well, i guess you could be overwhelmed by adorableness...

They're about the size of your hand and live in the mountains in (stable)rockslides. Like a mini marmot; can get pretty tame... They won't come into your camp and nose all around in your stuff like a marmot, but they'll hang out with you. Makes a cheerful squeak.

Yup.

Pretty much one of the cutest animals ever.

So how's a roguelike work?

invertin

Post by invertin » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:27 pm

You should probably google it. I have no idea how to explain roguelikes. XP

Zeno

Post by Zeno » Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:39 pm

Roguelikes are turn-based RPGs. Not turn-based like Final Fantasy, but like... well, think of it this way: when you move, the world moves with you. In other words, the world is only moving when you are. Kinda tough to explain.

Roguelikes have 2 defining features (in my opinion): One: NO GRAPHICS. All ASCII characters. Like Dwarf Fortress. TWO: They are really, really, really hard. Death is permanent, you have to eat, weapons rust, enemies are often on an equal, or higher, playing field, and the first few times you play, you'll have no idea what's going on. But trust me, they're fun. Lots of fun.

Suggested Roguelikes: NetHack, Angband, T.o.M.E., Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup, and IVAN (if you like a sense of humor with your deaths.).

Anyway, on the topic of staffs, I have no idea if you can make staffs unbreakable, but they'd be REALLY overpowered if you could.

invertin

Post by invertin » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:10 pm

Zeno wrote:One: NO GRAPHICS. All ASCII characters. Like Dwarf Fortress.
Unless you download a tile pack. Which I am guilty of.

Hehehe. I just had the idea of turning the breaking texture into little fireballs. Why break your staff when you can have it spontantiously combust?

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:59 pm

Zeno wrote:TWO: They are really, really, really hard. Death is permanent, you have to eat, weapons rust, enemies are often on an equal, or higher, playing field, and the first few times you play, you'll have no idea what's going on.
This does not necessarily make a game very hard, just very in-depth and realistic (to an extent).

invertin

Post by invertin » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:47 am

BunnyWithStick wrote:
Zeno wrote:TWO: They are really, really, really hard. Death is permanent, you have to eat, weapons rust, enemies are often on an equal, or higher, playing field, and the first few times you play, you'll have no idea what's going on.
This does not necessarily make a game very hard, just very in-depth and realistic (to an extent).
But roguelikes are hard. Especially if you don't know what you're doing.

It's more fun that way. :D (ONWARDS INTO THIS DUNGEON WITH NO FOOD OR WATER!)