Black shades 2 discusson

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Chainsaw man

Black shades 2 discusson

Post by Chainsaw man » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:50 am

Ok, After looking at the Consept artwork released of Black shades 2, I have been in my mind saying "Sweet yea" I adore black shades and its feel. Full body awareness, realistic weapons and aiming, telipathic powers really make it my kind of game.

the game dose need a deeper story.
Looking at the artwork I have seen I can think of some, how ever this is Davids game...
One idea I got off the off these faceless Inderviduals was maybe stepping away from realisem or real looking people. maybe go with the idea of some how making 3D people look like how they look in the concept art? Using 3D objects and animaton, but having the 2D aperance, while also taking atdantage of things like bump mapping for clothing cresses. it could make for some Dramatic effects.

Anyone like this idea?

Ozymandias

Re: Black shades 2 discusson

Post by Ozymandias » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:42 am

The reason that everyone looks so faceless and featureless is because the Black Shades people consisted of a generic human-ish looking model with different colored shirts and pants. Hell, you couldn't tell if they were men or women =p

So, they'd bring that idea over to the new Black Shades, after they make the dragon game and Overgrowth of course :wink:

Also, I like how the Black Shades weapon optics works similar to Operation Flashpoint with crosshairs disabled. In this light, I would like to see weapons with different attachments. Eotech sights anybody?

Noz

Post by Noz » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:11 pm

They could use a toon shader.

invertin

Post by invertin » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:34 am

It doesn't feel right seeing Black Shades so realistically proportioned.

I want polygon men in a realistic world.

"HOLY CRAP! THAT TREE LOOKS LIKE IT'S REAL THE GRAPHICS ARE SO GOOD! AND MY HEAD ONLY HAS 6 POLYGONS!"

It'd be hilarious.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:19 pm

invertin wrote:It doesn't feel right seeing Black Shades so realistically proportioned.

"HOLY CRAP! THAT TREE LOOKS LIKE IT'S REAL THE GRAPHICS ARE SO GOOD! AND MY HEAD ONLY HAS 6 POLYGONS!"

It'd be hilarious.
*nods so much his neck snaps in two*

BunnyWithStick
Gramps, Jr.

Post by BunnyWithStick » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:05 pm

Technically it's eight polygons. Two for the top and bottom of the head, two each for the three sides of the head.

invertin

Post by invertin » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:32 pm

I just looked again, and his head is not a cube, it is a triangular prism.

That makes 5 polygons, unless I fail at modelling and polygons do not work like faces.

pwnasaurus

Post by pwnasaurus » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:26 pm

invertin wrote:It doesn't feel right seeing Black Shades so realistically proportioned.

It'd be hilarious.
a while back i created a topic about a bubbleman FPS. be cool to see bubblemen in BS2

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:07 am

I really like the idea of having that kind of toony yet faceless style.

Concerning the monotony in the original, sure all models were effectively the same in Black Shades, but I think you can get the same kind of neutrality/monotony by having everyone look different. Just look at any real crowd of people. You can't easily make out 'that one's a bad guy', or 'that one's a good guy'. I'd even go as far as to say it would be awesome to have procedurally generated random characters.

Pixar did that in their films starting with the incredibles, where all human characters are actually based on one extremely morphable model, called the 'Universal man'.

Using a similar, but more simplified and stylized method of generating thousands of completely different humans for the 'mob' in Black Shades 2 sounds absolutely mouthwatering for a game where you have no idea who the next assassin might be.

Given how much the team is looking into procedural animation as is, I think this would definitely be a possibility for when they do make BS2, if ever.