Overgrowth Grab Moves?

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
CommanderQ

Overgrowth Grab Moves?

Post by CommanderQ » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:42 pm

In overgrowth, will you be able to grab rabbits, drag them around, slam them into things, etc.? Or take rabbits as shields from bows-and-arrows? And What about water combat? If I knock someone into a lake or something, can I jump in and drown him? Dat wud B TEH SWEETNESS!!

Ozymandias

Re: Overgrowth Grab Moves?

Post by Ozymandias » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:27 pm

I don't know much about the grabbing mechanic in OG, mainly because I have not been paying attention. I know that they are probably going to add some sort of grabbing/throwing, but I don't know to what extent.

As for water, the developers aren't quite focused on that right now I guess. We might not even see water in the final release. But... we -might-

nutcracker

Post by nutcracker » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:45 pm

They have made a grab button

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:07 pm

Yeah, i'm pretty sure grabbing has been confirmed. look at their first draft of the combat system design document
"Right click: You will probably use right click to climb as well as to grab and block attacks."

Concerning water from what the devs have said in other water-related posts it's something that they want to have in, but it will be very difficult to implement just because of how much water changes the dynamics of everything, especially fighting.

Since it's on the SPF here is the post linked above:
Jeff wrote:We would like water, but unfortunately it is not as easy as you are making it out to be. A few issues:

- How does the AI react to it.
- Can you fight in the water?
- A set of swimming animations. For all species.
- What if you are wearing too much armor?
- Fighting in water?
- The physics involved in making water match the quality of the rest of the engine.

We would like to get water, and it is not very unreasonable to create cool looking water graphics, which David has done previously. However, it is too early to tell if we will have time to implement water fully.

Basically, the philosophy of Overgrowth is that everything we are going to put in the game is going to have a certain level of excellence. We are going for a level of polish rarely seen in indie games. We want to maintain an atmosphere of consistent quality. If we can do a good water implementation, that would be sweet.

sfriedlander

Post by sfriedlander » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:30 pm

Grabbing would be a sweet idea for a stealth attack

CommanderQ

Post by CommanderQ » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:07 am

On a semi-related topic, I'd like to see some non-lethal stealth attacks.

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:22 am

CommanderQ wrote:On a semi-related topic, I'd like to see some non-lethal stealth attacks.
On a semi-related topic to that, would unconscious enemies eventually wake up this time?

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:06 pm

Heh, maybe that's what the 'Merciful' Achievement should refer to.

Untadaike

Post by Untadaike » Fri May 01, 2009 9:38 pm

Anyone know any new acrobatics moves that will be added? Climbing?

Johannes

Post by Johannes » Fri May 01, 2009 9:52 pm

Untadaike wrote:Anyone know any new acrobatics moves that will be added? Climbing?

We know only vague details from the blog concerning what acrobatics will be added.

In interviews (which i'm too lazy to find the links for) and in blog as well, climbing has only been mentioned, but nothing really more than 'you will be able to climb some objects'. What moves or how detailed the climbing system will be is yet to be seen.

Keep in mind that the animations editor is still being worked on, and the extent of its abilities will likely be a big determining factor for what moves exactly we might see.

Concerning climbing specifically, the inverse kinematics that were demod before will probably come in handy, so at the very least I think that we'll be able to realistically climb up designated 'climable' objects, like a ladder for example.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Sat May 02, 2009 2:26 am

I do recall that they said at some point "climbing will be like in assassin's creed only more fluid and dynamic" or something along those lines. as well as the fact that if you look back a few alphas they mention a grab button to climb stuff.

Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias » Sat May 02, 2009 8:23 am

In the alphas you hold down the 'climb' button and rabbbot sticks to a nearby surface with a line. I don't know how easy it would be to implement climbing on objects that are just plopped ino the editor. Could you stake a few floating bars and expect Turner to climb them like a ladder even if the objects aren't actually marked as one or whatever? And what about protrusions from buildings (a-la, Assassin's Creed)? Would Turner be able to find these and automatically know to climb up to them? In Assassin's Creed it seems all these objects had some sort of script attached to them so that Altair knew that he was supposed to play a certain climb animation or whatever to reach the object...

blah blah blah.

Of course, we all know that wallflipping between two buildings onto the roof is more epic thamnslowly climbing up the side, but that might not always be an available option (only one building).

nutcracker

Post by nutcracker » Sat May 02, 2009 9:03 am

Ladders will probably be scripted

Richie Rabbit

Post by Richie Rabbit » Sat May 02, 2009 10:05 am

This game needs vine swinging

Untadaike

Post by Untadaike » Sat May 02, 2009 11:19 am

Richie Rabbit wrote:This game needs vine swinging
Yeah, like on IJET. That would be frickin awesome.