Combat Suggestion

Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Munchkin9

Combat Suggestion

Post by Munchkin9 » Fri May 29, 2009 3:28 pm

I don't know if there is already a topic for this, or if it has been mentioned before, but since I am a little out of time am going to go ahead and post.

I have only one BIG problem with the combat system for Lugaru which seriously needs to be fixed for Overgrowth of I will not be able to enjoy it as it should be. The problem is that the crouch/roll key is the same as the counter key. This is a ridiculous idea in every way: 1. I don't see how there is any relation to blocking and dodging in combat except that they are both made to avoid attack, but going on that might as well make the attack key the same as well since the best offense is a good defense aye? (I am definitely not suggesting this is done). 2. This is mostly a problem when going up against a number of opponents; sometimes I want to disengage from a mass of people since i know i am going to get attacked by 5 different guys at the same time at I will therefore be completely destroyed. So obviously hold down the back to key (or which ever way I want to go) and press shift. LO-AND-BEHOLD my guy blocks 1 of the incoming attacks and takes the over 4 in the face killing him out right. Need I go on?

So in short, I would love if this could be fixed. Actually I would also love if something could be done to fix Lugaru while we are waiting for the awesome sequel, but let's just say that I doubt this will be done.

Anybody, has any opinions about this? And once again I am sorry if this has already been discussed.

-Munchkin

TheBigCheese

Re: Combat Suggestion

Post by TheBigCheese » Fri May 29, 2009 11:42 pm

I never really had too much of a problem, but if you look away first, and then hit Shift it should roll.

Turner only blocks when the camera is facing the enemy.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Sat May 30, 2009 12:59 am

on insane yes, which is what all sane men must play the game on. otherwise he doesn't need the camera orientation.

Munchkin9

Post by Munchkin9 » Sat May 30, 2009 9:51 am

Ya I think I am playing on insane.

And to your suggestion TheBigCheese, do you really think I have time to "look away"?

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Sat May 30, 2009 11:39 am

True.

I wouldn't be opposed to having control be roll, but the main point of the OG combat system is to keep it limited to as few buttons as possible.

I'm sure the OG team will make the distinction between blocking and rolling better when the game is released.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Sat May 30, 2009 11:50 am

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dgzm3rcs_10gnmq4phg

Other Contexts
"Right click is not an attack button. It will be a reversal button."

So, unless crouch is changed to right mouse button, crouch and reversal are planned to go to different buttons.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Sun May 31, 2009 6:33 am

I agree with the original post... sort of.

It wasn't a huge problem, but it was occasionally irritating. Although, for me, the situation was usually the opposite. When attempting to reverse an attack, I sometimes end up crouching instead then get soccer-kicked in the skull.

Anyway, it would be nice to see the two functions get separated in Overgrowth.

Noz

Post by Noz » Sun May 31, 2009 8:59 pm

*NOTHING HAPPENED AT THIS POST*
any quotes beneath will be whacked :twisted:
Last edited by Noz on Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Sun May 31, 2009 9:56 pm

In the above post, which he has since deleted out of sheer shame, Noz wrote:I think that in Multiplayer, moves and attacks should be unlocked as you progress.
Ew ew ew eww, dear God please no.
Last edited by Zhukov on Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Untadaike

Re:

Post by Untadaike » Sun May 31, 2009 11:54 pm

Zhukov wrote:
Noz wrote:I think that in Multiplayer, moves and attacks should be unlocked as you progress.
Ew ew ew eww, dear God please no.
I agree. That would be disgusting.

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:54 am

how would that fix anything?? that's like trying to turn OG into WoW.

Zhukov

Revision.

Post by Zhukov » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:39 am

I just played through the Lugaru challenge levels. I wish to revise my opinion in regard to the original post.

There is nothing wrong with having the reverse and crouch actions attached to the same button. It is an elegant and functional control scheme.

However, there have been indications that in Overgrowth the reverse key may take on extra functions. If that is the case, then it may well still be a good idea to separate the reverse and crouch actions.

Richie Rabbit

Post by Richie Rabbit » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:25 pm

What if the extra functions can be done by using the reverse/crouch key + a certain direction?
Like someone is about to hit you & you reverse it using the reverse/crouch key then you can start an combo chain of reverse attacks by using reverse/crouch key +up then reverse/crouch key +right etc..

Zaphon

Post by Zaphon » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:23 am

You can actually dodge by pressing attack + back, Turner will do a handspring and back away from the enemy.

I don't really have the problem you mention, but I can see how it can be annoying.
It has happened, but I just revise my tactics. (Use more flips and wallkicks, split the enemies up and deal with them one-on-one, etc)

I really like the control scheme in Lugaru, but it'd be possible to add new keys without screwing things up, of course.

Noz

Post by Noz » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:21 am

Count Roland wrote:how would that fix anything?? that's like trying to turn OG into WoW.
your right. I dont remember writing this. Funny