Twilight

Anything else
Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Re: Twilight

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:14 pm

Maybe if you'd never read the book for I Am Legend or the comic for Watchmen, then you would think the films were amazing. People are generally blinded by the fact that they've read or seen the original text or version of a translation or remake.

On the other hand, the you could be right. The film adaptation of Northern Lights by Phillip Pullman was simply atrocious. The film took the ending of the first book, which is a tragic ending, and made it so that it would be the beginning of the second film...therefore making the ending of the first film a happy one instead of a tragic one. They essentially completely altered the storytelling of the series, and in the process made the ending of the first film far worse in terms of quality than it could have been. The cliffhanger heartache-inducing ending of the first book is simply fantastic.
Last edited by Renegade_Turner on Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:15 pm

Of course, because they were both amazing in general, but the movies were good, and the novels were better. All I'm saying.

Nail

Post by Nail » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:17 pm

Watchmen had too big of a plot for the movie to completely cover, but they did do a good job.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:22 pm

Then perhaps they should have turned it into a series rather than a film, as was done for the critically-acclaimed anime series translation of the Bleach manga. 200 odd episodes was plenty of time to give the story its original sense of finesse and pacing,

Nail

Post by Nail » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:24 pm

Not the best example but OK.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:25 pm

Yeah, the original series was a few comics long (I think 9? Could be wrong) before they smacked it all together in one big novel. It would've worked amazing as a TV mini-series, but in the movie everything seemed hurried and even then it lasted about two and a half hours.

Nail

Post by Nail » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:28 pm

12 parts, I think.

I don't think Watchmen is quite big enough for its own mini series unless you find half-assed way to shove the textual parts in.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:48 pm

I saw a mini-series with only 3 episodes once =/ It got repeated like 40 times. Each of the episodes was 30 minutes long, by the way.

Considering Watchmen as a whole movie was 150 minutes long, that's still about 7 1/2 episodes (20 minutes to 10 minutes of commercials) even without all the stuff that got cut out. It would probably go the full 12 episodes, 240 minutes, with all the extra material in.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:17 pm

Nail wrote:I don't think Watchmen is quite big enough for its own mini series unless you find half-assed way to shove the textual parts in.
The point of "mini series" is that it's small enough to accomodate a small story. lol.
Nail wrote:Not the best example but OK.
And the best example of a text being transferred to a TV series is...? I think it was the most appropriate example by far. You didn't exactly provide what you thought the best example was. You basically just said "No."

GaGrin

Post by GaGrin » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:30 am

So...

I am the only guy that liked the Twilight series? Awkward... :oops:

Interview with the vampire is superb - excellent performances, dark plot, intricate characters. It also has my favourite line of all time

"Claudia. You have been a very, naughty, little-girl." -Lestat :evil:

I am Legend is excellent right up until the final moments where they wimp out. Their reinterpretation worked really well, focusing on the lonilness of his existance, but they didn't have the balls to let it end the way it should have. A bit disappointing, but still an excellent character drama if you ignore the last 15 minutes or so. :roll:

I haven't read the Watchmen but I thought the film was excellent and its made me want to. :D

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:12 am

I Am Legend's alt ending is way freaking better than the original LOL ACTION SUICIDE GRENADE BOMBER one. It shows a much deeper story line and connects with the original story/movie better.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:31 am

GaGrin wrote:I am the only guy that liked the Twilight series? Awkward... :oops:
No dude, I already said I liked the first film! You're not alone, I'm here for you. :wink:

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:08 am

Renegade_Turner wrote:
GaGrin wrote:I am the only guy that liked the Twilight series? Awkward... :oops:
No dude, I already said I liked the first film! You're not alone, I'm here for you. :wink:
Oh god, I'd run if I were you, GaGrin. He might rape you. o_O

Nail

Post by Nail » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:09 pm

V for Vendetta was a good movie, but it was really dumbed down.

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:28 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:Then perhaps they should have turned it into a series rather than a film, as was done for the critically-acclaimed anime series translation of the Bleach manga. 200 odd episodes was plenty of time to give the story its original sense of finesse and pacing,
The problem with using Bleach as an example is that its still ongoing, huge, a cash-cow, and probably isn't going to stop until people lose interest. Its a serialized manga/anime, so they'll keep it going as long as it makes money. Watchmen, on the other hand has a defined beginning, middle, and end.