Why are many Christians self-contradictory?

Anything else
Zeno

Re: Why are many Christians self-contradictory?

Post by Zeno » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:45 pm

Ragdollmaster wrote:It seems to me that the majority of people who hold beliefs in Christianity are extraordinarily self-contradictory, and worse, they realize it but don't care because that's what the priests and bishops have shoved into their faces, and they accept it in ignorance.

eg, most holidays, which mean "Holy Days", would be considered sin by their standards. Easter is a fertility ritual- the egg/rabbit are symbols of a Roman-Pagan sex god.

Halloween- well, that's barely disguised. Ritual carried out by old nomadic pagan tribes to celebrate demons and spirits coming into the world for one day, which Christianity has altered to include candy and nice ghosts like Casper.

Christmas is just a modification of Yule, a Norwegian pagan festival with lots of eating and chopping down trees to drive away demonic spirits. They really have no excuse for this as there's pretty much no chance Jesus was born anywhere even near December (some Biblical scholars think it's closer to late summer/early fall) and then considering that the only time birthdays are mentioned in the Bible are for evil rulers celebrating them, and one of them ends with the decapitation of John the Baptizer. Or John the Apostle. One of those two, but point remains someone who's a good person gets killed.

So why do so many Christians accept the bullshit handed to them by nearly all of the world's churches? Are they just too lazy to look for what they would perceive as the truth since they assume the Bible's historical accuracy? Or do they just want some kind of consolation and reassurance that they get to go be in heaven if they go somewhere once a week and give nice gifts a few times a year?

Not even going to start on the whole "be a good person" thing they always talk about when the immorality of society today is nearly tangible and encompasses Christians as well.

BIG sidenote; this isn't hating on all Christians. There are a minority, maybe just a few million, who earnestly want to believe they're doing the right thing and try to, which can be respected, but most of them are just following through a half-assed attempt for all the great benefits religion offers.
Bah. As I have stated before, people seem to direct many ignorant insults and general distaste at a few major groups: Americans, Christians, Republicans, etc. It's become, like, a fad to be European, Jewish, or Democrat. Honestly, there's nothing wrong with being in any of the aforementioned groups, be they popular or unpopular, but the ridiculous mudslinging is making me more annoyed by the day.

Some people are different than you.

LIVE WITH IT.

And for the record, many Christians used to frown upon Halloween. It's not a Christian holiday, and it's only recently begun to be accepted.

shadow717

Post by shadow717 » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:10 pm

Honestly minorities are wrong. This whole "your mean to me because I'm different" crap that people like to pull is a get out of jail free card. My biggest problem with people like that is they try to force their beliefs on everyone else. For example George Bush did it with the Muslims in Iraq, but they tried doing the same thing to us by bombing the twin towers. Their whole argument was that if we can't convert the infidels then we shall destroy them. Those same people who tried to purify America bending the text of their own fucking Curran to brainwash people, and as a result thousands have died, there are riots in the Middle East right now because of that. It's not just Christians it's every religion, social group, and minority, but I guess that's what makes us human.

nerodx
confused couch potato

Post by nerodx » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:43 pm

shadow717 wrote:Honestly minorities are wrong. This whole "your mean to me because I'm different" crap that people like to pull is a get out of jail free card. My biggest problem with people like that is they try to force their beliefs on everyone else. For example George Bush did it with the Muslims in Iraq, but they tried doing the same thing to us by bombing the twin towers. Their whole argument was that if we can't convert the infidels then we shall destroy them. Those same people who tried to purify America bending the text of their own fucking Curran to brainwash people, and as a result thousands have died, there are riots in the Middle East right now because of that. It's not just Christians it's every religion, social group, and minority, but I guess that's what makes us human.
This is exactly human nature. We all try and make other people believe what we believe, act like we do, and make them become just like us. Unfortunately for the world that leads to conflicts of interest, which leads to war. There's no way to stop it though.
Zeno wrote: Bah. As I have stated before, people seem to direct many ignorant insults and general distaste at a few major groups: Americans, Christians, Republicans, etc. It's become, like, a fad to be European, Jewish, or Democrat. Honestly, there's nothing wrong with being in any of the aforementioned groups, be they popular or unpopular, but the ridiculous mudslinging is making me more annoyed by the day.
It really does suck that way. This comment made me think of that whole Carrie Prejean incident. (For those who don't know or don't care, I believe she was Ms. California or something, but lost her crown because she believed gay marriage is wrong. Because she had a republican view, she was deemed unfit for her title, was embarrassed by pictures taken of her, then fired. I disagree with her but still, wtf.) It's kinda sad how obvious it is that the entire world is so closed minded. Or something like that.

invertin

Post by invertin » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:00 am

Shadow...

First of all- That's not how you spell Qu'ran

Secondly that's not how Islam works.

Huge people within the Islam religion specifically say that "Muslim" terrorists aren't Muslims at all if they keep killing people and causing harm. One of the main things that the Qu'ran says not to do.

shadow717

Post by shadow717 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:13 am

True. But it's more right thing to do issue, if you want proof here's quotes from the Koran:

Kill the disbelievers wherever we find them" (Koran 2:191)

"Fight and slay the Pagans, seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem" (Koran 9:5)

"Murder them and treat them harshly" (Koran 9:123)

“They desire that you should disbelieve as they have disbelieved, so that you might be (all) alike; therefore take not from among them friends until they fly in Allah’s way; but if they turn back, then seize them and kill them wherever you find them, and take not from among them a friend or a helper … Then when the Sacred Months have passed, then kill the Mushrikûn (Jews) wherever you find them, and capture them and besiege them, and prepare for them each and every ambush.” (Sura IV.89)

“Kill those who join other gods with God wherever you may find them.” (Sura IX. 5-6)

invertin

Post by invertin » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:54 am

I did some research on this.

As far as I can tell, normal muslims agree that violence is okay if it's justifyable. "About to nuke me" is justifyable. "They've just attacked" is justifyable. "They don't believe in Allah" is not justifyable.

Just like pretty much every religion that was ever made, Muslims are big on the whole "Forgiveness" thing.

Terrorists are not.

So far all I've found out is that a few religious people are idiots and the rest are just stereotyped as idiots. Which I already knew.
Last edited by invertin on Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

shadow717

Post by shadow717 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:58 am

Yeah that's true. I have friends that are Muslim they act just fine.

invertin

Post by invertin » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:59 am

I love being able to switch between nonsense and so much sense it hurts.

myfaceisblue

Post by myfaceisblue » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:25 pm

This reminds me of something a comedian said (I forget who he was)
He said " I can simplify the 10 Commandments(?) down to 2
1.Don't do bad stuff
2.Don't ever,ever ,ever kill someone else unless they believe in a different giant invisible man then you do."

Don't take me or him seriously but it was kind of funny despite the fact its oversimplifies christianity.

Sidenote: M.J. is dead :cry: