KraKK Productions

Anything else
Psycho

KraKK Productions

Post by Psycho » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:48 pm

Hello Wolfire fans. I would like some help from the community. After seeing Wolfire, and many other indie game companies. Of course, i decided to create my own.

http://krakk.weebly.com/

Anyone have any suggestions for what tools or languages I could use or learn. I've had no previous programming experience, also I'm on a Macbook and planning on coding in xCode.

Skofo

Re: KraKK Productions

Post by Skofo » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:59 pm

Good luck!
planning on coding in xCode
Just FYI, us Linux and Windows users enjoy games, too.

Hal1989

Post by Hal1989 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:03 pm

Skofo wrote:Just FYI, us Linux and Windows users enjoy games, too.
But a lot can't support all three platforms at the same time.

Anyway, good luck! ^^

Psycho

Post by Psycho » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:25 pm

Skofo wrote:Good luck!
planning on coding in xCode
Just FYI, us Linux and Windows users enjoy games, too.
Thanks. I'll need it.

Also, i'll find a way to export builds to Windows. It just depends on which engine or tool i settle on.

BlackHole

Post by BlackHole » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:24 am

Good luck m8. ;)

As for the programming language: do you already have any idea what kind of game you want to develop? Some languages are more suited for certain genres then others, so if you're going to learn a new language anyway, it's best to learn one that suits the game you're planning to make. :idea:

- Black
In politics, you have your word and your friends; go back on either and you're dead.

Psycho

Post by Psycho » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:56 am

BlackHole wrote:Good luck m8. ;)

As for the programming language: do you already have any idea what kind of game you want to develop? Some languages are more suited for certain genres then others, so if you're going to learn a new language anyway, it's best to learn one that suits the game you're planning to make. :idea:

- Black
In politics, you have your word and your friends; go back on either and you're dead.
Well, I was thinking of using Torque Game Builder for 2d stuff. Because, naturally, I cannot model for my life. So i'll be focusing on either free, or low priced 2d development tools.

Skofo

Post by Skofo » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:52 pm

Looked into LOVE2D and Pyglet yet?

Jimmy Jazz

Post by Jimmy Jazz » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:25 pm

Psycho wrote:...planning on coding in xCode.
:(

no Krakk games for meh....

Psycho

Post by Psycho » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:17 pm

Skofo wrote:Looked into LOVE2D and Pyglet yet?
Nope. I will now though.

Edit: LOVE2D had only bare Mac OS X support, and I personally do not want to learn Python. I was thinking either Lua or C.

But if I spend $100 on the Torque Game Builder, I get to code in TorqueScript, a language i'm quite familiar with.

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:04 pm

I'm going to go ahead and recommend C++ or Flash Actionscript.

You can grab a copy of Flash for $250 if you are a student. Plus, the coding language is extremely easy to learn, though from what I see of TorqueScript (If you've used it a lot) it might be to easy. Graphics are a cinch, and you also automatically have multi-platform support.

C++ and OpenGL if you're feeling daring and want to get down and dirty with 3d graphics. It's also got nice multiplatform support. Check out the Nehe Gamedev tutorials. *

*If you create a Mac only game, I will hunt you down and kill you in your sleep.:P

Lugaruman100
The wolfire forum member with no title.

Post by Lugaruman100 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:53 pm

Phython might be worth your time if your investing into multiple platforms. You can mix java, C++ and Open GL into it.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:05 pm

Echo~
=O
Now what do we do?!

Untadaike

Post by Untadaike » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:37 pm

Lugaruman100 wrote:Phython might be worth your time if your investing into multiple platforms. You can mix java, C++ and Open GL into it.
Ja, I like Python. (I assume you meant Python, not Phython). I'm somewhat proficient in it. I'm interested in going into pygame and/or pyglet. If anyone finds out about or knows about any great tutorials that are targeted at integrating Python into games or making games from Python, please contact me.

Psycho

Post by Psycho » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:14 am

Mud.

Right now KraKK is in mud.

We're are getting no where, and we probably won't get anywhere until around October. Probably by then I'll have enough spare cash to buy a quality tool. Until then I'll probably just post reviews on games i've tried, or other interesting news.

David
Project Leader

Post by David » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:14 pm

It would probably be best to spend your time learning to code first, before worrying about what tools to use. A fancy paintbrush is not very useful if you don't know how to paint!