Cavalry thread

Anything else
invertin

Re: Cavalry thread

Post by invertin » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:25 am

Just because it's been done before doesn't mean it isn't awesome.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:47 am

There is possibly no mount fiercer than Iorek Byrnison of the book Northern Lights...the film didn't do the book much justice, but the portrayal of the ferociously fearsome panserbjorn was particularly apt. Bask in his fearitude.

invertin

Post by invertin » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:58 am

I remember that one part where he knocks another bear's jaw off.

That was awesome.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:10 pm

Did they show him knock Iofur's jaw off in the movie? I might go rent a copy and just fast-forward to that if it's in there. Bears fighting is awesome etc.

Also @R_T: I can think of at least one mount fiercer.

And then, an even fiercer version of Tyrannosaurus Rex?

METAL GEAR.

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:27 pm

Iorek would own those dinosaurs with sheer ferocity.

Yes, it shows him knocking off Iofur's jaw with his paw and then biting his neck, but not in an overtly grotesque fashion, as could be presumed from a look at the film's rating.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:18 pm

Metal Gear REX isn't a dinosaur, silly rabbit. It's a large walking battle tank with miniguns, rockets, a penis laser, and a giant railgun capable of launching a nuclear missile undetectable to radar.

EDIT: I'd hoped the movie would've shown it a bit differently, then o; When I read the book I was like, "This scene would be epik in a movie."

Viking Zippy
Wooter

Post by Viking Zippy » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:32 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:Iorek would own those dinosaurs with sheer ferocity.

Yes, it shows him knocking off Iofur's jaw with his paw and then biting his neck, but not in an overtly grotesque fashion, as could be presumed from a look at the film's rating.
Yeah, it wasn't nearly as violent in the movie as it was in the book: in the book, from what I remember it went into great detail of how Iofur's jaw was knocked off, and he continued to fight anyway, even with his tongue hanging down without a jaw to contain it.

In the movie, on the other hand, the sequence was so sudden and short-lived that I didn't realize at first that his jaw was knocked off; from what I remember, Iorek took a massive swipe at Iofur's jaw, and a fleeting view of his "jaw" went flying off into the distance, and there was never really a good look at Iofur without his jaw, which, as I mentioned, was very vivid in the book ... truth be told, the thought of the scene still gives me shivers, and I read it a good 10 years ago :P

Anyhow, to stay on topic ...

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:12 pm

Viking Zippy wrote:In the movie, on the other hand, the sequence was so sudden and short-lived that I didn't realize at first that his jaw was knocked off; from what I remember, Iorek took a massive swipe at Iofur's jaw, and a fleeting view of his "jaw" went flying off into the distance, and there was never really a good look at Iofur without his jaw, which, as I mentioned, was very vivid in the book ... truth be told, the thought of the scene still gives me shivers, and I read it a good 10 years ago :P
I'm not defending the movie, because it was generally a rather haphazard attempt at a book to film translation. However, what you just described is common course when translating textual media into films. Generally, if you were to keep every detail in a book for the film, the film would be 10 hours long, so it's necessary to trim these things down. Having 10 minutes of film for a bear's jaw being bashed off and his neck ripped out would have been pushing it a small bit too far.

Having said that, the movie was shit. They butchered the ending and turned it into a happy-ever-after cliffhanger thing, which infuriated me to no end considering I was quite an avid reader of the trilogy.

On another note, that picture is awesome. It's funny because it's ridiculous. Why would he want to hit it with a sword when he's in a tank! Hahahaha I say. I get jokes. ^_^

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:58 pm

Actually, in the book, as soon as his jaw gets ripped off, Iofur's like "WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED" before Iorek grabs him with his teeth by the neck and shakes him until he dies. Which could probably be shown in a half a minute, not ten.

Also the tank picture is win.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:31 pm

Renegade_Turner wrote:*pic*

There is possibly no mount fiercer than Iorek Byrnison of the book Northern Lights...the film didn't do the book much justice, but the portrayal of the ferociously fearsome panserbjorn was particularly apt. Bask in his fearitude.
101% agreed.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:24 pm

TALL POST INCOMING:

Nah, I found several mounts that are much better than Iorek, despite however awesome he may be. (I made all these posters just to show why, too! [Metal Gear Rex is mentioned a second time because my first picture glitched up, and this concept art looked a damn sight better than much of the PS1 screenshots I saw, so I figured I'd have a go at it with REX as well])

ImageImageImage

Lugaruman100
The wolfire forum member with no title.

Post by Lugaruman100 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:34 pm

Finland, figures.

Glabbit

Post by Glabbit » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:09 am

I can hardly believe it, I found it with a click of the 'random' button.
Invertin! Have a look at that: Image

invertin

Post by invertin » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:46 pm

NEEDS MOAR ARMLEGS

And someone riding on it.

Photoshop skills, go!

I don't have photoshop or skills. D:

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:28 pm

Too much free time... to the rescue!