Anything related to Wolfire Games and/or its products
Glabbit

Re: Poison Darts

Post by Glabbit » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:07 pm

I'm liking this idea more and more.

Pyrokwah

Post by Pyrokwah » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:56 pm

I was trying to lean towards towards knives to try and cut out programming an entirely new weapon, more of an addition type of thing.

Also, please try to discuss ways of obtaining the poison, or if you like the idea well enough, the darts.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:10 pm

Pyrokwah wrote:Also, please try to discuss ways of obtaining the poison, or if you like the idea well enough, the darts.
Why would obtaining poison or darts be any different from obtaining other items?

Pyrokwah

Post by Pyrokwah » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:02 am

I mean, you wouldn't be able to take them like a fallen enemies weapon, you'd have to obtain a knife or dart (probably from bone) and then find a poison source, such as a cadaver or tree or plant or such.

And to get the bone dart, you would either need an exposed skeleton, or a knife to cut through to the bone. Discuss stuff like that, I think we got the symptoms down pat.

Zhukov

Post by Zhukov » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:07 am

Pyrokwah wrote:I mean, you wouldn't be able to take them like a fallen enemies weapon...
What? Why not?

Turner sees an enemy rat who has a pouch of poison darts. He sneaks up on the rat and kills/incapacitates him. Viola! Turner now has a pouch of poison darts.

Same situation could apply for knives.

Pyrokwah

Post by Pyrokwah » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:29 am

I see... that definitely works. However, the darts/knives were thought with the rats rather than the rabbits in mind, and in the rat missions how would one make some darts?

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:42 pm

Pyrokwah wrote:I see... that definitely works. However, the darts/knives were thought with the rats rather than the rabbits in mind, and in the rat missions how would one make some darts?
I'm betting that rats will only be playable through mods. Modders could probably make an obtainable source from a plant, or maybe a mixture of chemicals in a pouch.

Pyrokwah

Post by Pyrokwah » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:53 am

Another idea, but maybe harder to code.

Enemies are attracted to (when everything is calm) or will just pick up if they come across some weapons, such as knives. Therefore, we could either make it so that you could booby trap a knife (poison on the handle) or you could just leave the bag of poison around to be picked up.

And I thought that the dev's would have a few playable rat levels, no?

tokage

Post by tokage » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:15 pm

Pyrokwah wrote: Enemies are attracted to (when everything is calm) or will just pick up if they come across some weapons, such as knives.
That in itself is a good idea(regardless of poison or not). Using weapons as baits to let guards stray from their patrol paths. Could even trigger a caption achievement like in Lugaru. I am not sure if enemies picking up weapons, when they are not alerted, works in Lugaru right now, anyone knows?

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:23 pm

Pyrokwah wrote: you could booby trap a knife (poison on the handle)
That wouldn't be hard to code, really, but why would you want to? I mean, besides the fact that contact poisons are really rare, not to mention odourless and colourless ones, IF they existed in the game they could also be used against you. :( Ooh, a neat new - drat I died!

Zaphon

Post by Zaphon » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:28 pm

Pyrokwah wrote:And I thought that the dev's would have a few playable rat levels, no?
They haven't mentioned anything like that. Turner is the character that you follow through the story.

I like the idea of poisoning your knife by stabbing it into a toxic plant!

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:00 pm

so seeking/making the poison/applying it could entail a whole set of story bits in the "fabrication/cooking" realm-- you could seek the plant (I hope it looks like the Pulsing Space Turnip of a PPC Imac base) and stab it, like cleaning your knife in the grass in Lugaru or would you want a cooking-style (like Aquaria) bit of searching where you must mix this and that herb? Might be fun to search out 2 or 3 different plants, but it also might get a bit tedious, I dunno.

would you ever want to carry the herbs/poisons so you could dip your knife anywhere?

would you use a generalized "action" button to cue the animation?

would you want to fabricate other stuff?

What about other herbal bits? I remember a few peeps saying "NO" to healing herbs in another thread.

I guess it makes a different kind of story. The only puzzles in Lugaru were: in which order should I attack these enemies, how can I use the furniture to beat them, and how the heck do I get up onto that platform?

Do more puzzles add depth to a game, or do they just annoy you ?

Pyrokwah

Post by Pyrokwah » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:26 pm

Um, I think we'll go just as far as dipping it in the (single) plant (that you cannot carry) and leave out plants that have other effects (such as healing). I think that the single time poison will be enough.

kehaar

Post by kehaar » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:33 am

'kay, as long as the plant looks like a Cyborg Turnip From the Future (When Only Cyborg Turnips Still Survive on the Wasteland That Was Earth)

just sayin' that would be cool...

invertin

Post by invertin » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:51 am

I imagine the poison being inside fruit.

Like a bunch of fruit are hanging from a tree, so you stab the fruit with your knife and get fruit-juice all over it. And the fruit juice is poisonous.