Metal Heads

Anything else
Sandurz

Metal Heads

Post by Sandurz » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:19 pm

I thought, since there are other music threads, why not have a metal one?

I'm curious about other peoples fav metal bands are.
The only answer I'll not accept, is Metallica, most of their stuff is power ballads. Just sayin!
BTW mines Slayer.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Re: Metal Heads

Post by Blorx » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:28 pm

Haha, in my good music thread, I posted links to The Empire Shall Fall, Wings of Icarus (the link was to a beastly screamo cover of Don't Trust Me by 3OH!3) and I Killed the Prom Queen.

Metal enough for ya? Lol.

Sandurz

Post by Sandurz » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:43 pm

I don't like I Killed the Prom King much, the singer sounds a bit whiny. But yes, that's metal enough!

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:46 pm

Check out the Don't Trust Me cover then.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIHS79oaENw

h2ostra

Post by h2ostra » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:20 pm

well, I have made posts about metal in other threads, and so as not to repeat too much, I'll go on to some bands that I don't think I mentioned too much

so here's what I've been listening to recently:
1. Irepress. amazing band. not quite "pure" metal, but If you're at all into the whole post-rock/metal thing, these guys are great. somewhat jazzy, a lot of variation in vocals, and style. very interesting.
Recommended songs: Diaspora, Barrageo

2. Green Carnation. a side project of one time Emperor and Carpathian Forest (and current Blood Red Throne) member Tchort, though the band is along somewhat different lines. This time it's progressive metal a little along the lines of Opeth's mid-period and later work. The only metal "album" I have by them is Light of Day, Day of Darkness (I also have their acoustic album, which is good, but not metal),which is an awesome song (although the screaming part around thirty minutes might be a little unnecessary).
Recommended songs: Light of Day, Day of Darkness (also, "9-29-045", but it's not metal)

3. Decapitated. technical death metal. although a lot of people didn't seem to like their latest album (Organic Hallucinosis), but I thought it was amazing. People new to the band probably shouldn't have too big of a problem with it, but it is a little different from their earlier work. Unfortunately, their drummer (Vitek) died in a bus crash, that also injured their vocalist, and they are just starting to come back together.
Recommended Songs: Spheres of Madness, Post(?)Organic

4. Wolves in the Throne Room. Atmospheric black metal. not as technical or progressive as a lot of things that I listen to, but they have some amazing soundscapes and emotions in their music.
Recommended songs: I Will Lay Down My Bones Among the Rocks and Roots,

5. Cynic. Absolutely amazing band. A great mix of jazz and metal. their first album, Focus was, in it's time, one of the most influential albums in the progressive and death metal genres. their new album, Traced in Air was one of my favorites of 2008.
Recommended songs: Adam's Murmur, The Space for This, Textures

6. Wintersun. The side project from ex-Ensiferum frontman Jari Mäenpää, that turned into his main project. They only have one album to date, (and are taking FOREVER on their second), but it is a great one. Kind of a mix of melodic death metal, power metal, and some folk metal.
Recommended songs: Sleeping Stars, Starchild, Sadness and Hate

well, that's it for now. I'll put up more later
Last edited by h2ostra on Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:56 am

most of you probably wont class them all as metal, but LINKIN PARK EVERY TIME

and if you dont count them as a metal band, im in to rammstein, they may be german so i dont have a clue what the hell theyre on about half the time, but they are freaking awesome!!!!

paramor are quite good in some songs

as is marilyn manson

three days grace

and muse, definitely muse

muse or LINKIN FRIKKEN PARK!!!

h2ostra

Post by h2ostra » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:19 am

Part 2:

7. ( think that's where I am). Gojira. Although I wasn't planning on including them, due to the fact that I always talk about them, I cannot resist. They are simply too good. Gojira exist somewhere in a world between progressive death metal and thrash metal (with more emphasis on the first), with a certain sludginess, and some breakdowns. for me, they are the perfect balance of progression, technicality, and emotion. and all the lyrics are about saving the environment, or the power of the human spirit. You know, hippie stuff.
Recommended songs: Backbone, Flying Whales, The Art of Dying

8. Blotted Science. This was going to be some less well-known bands, but I got away from that, so now I'm going back in that direction. Blotted science is the outcome of three amazing musicians crossing paths. Ron Jarzombek (of Watchtower and Spastic Ink) handles Guitar, with Cannibal Corpse bassist Alex Webster, and Charlie Zeleny of the avant-garde/technical metal band Behold...The Arctopus (who maybe worth checking out if you're really into that kind of thind, but they don't do much for me. for that kind of stuff, I prefer Gorguts- see below). This band has amazing talent, and plays a very technical form of instrumental metal, with a certain amount of jazziness
Recommended songs: Synaptic Plasticity, Activation Synthesis Theory

9. Gorguts. I only have one album by this band (Obscura), but it is unlike anything I have ever heard (aside from frontman Luc Lemay's other band, Negativa, which was formed with the sole intention of exploring this line further). It is some of the most dissonant, tortured sound I have ever heard, but that is what makes it so amazing. I'm sure many people will hear it as nothing more than sound, but there are some out there who will hear pure beauty
Recommended songs: Nostalgia, Obscura, Clouded

10. Lykathea Aflame. This band's music is really hard to get your hands on, (I should have their CD in the mail later this week) but it is some of the most original stuff I have heard. kind of progressive/atmospheric deathgrind with egyptian/middle eastern influence (though different from Nile)
Recommended Songs: Land Where Sympathy is Air, To Become Shelter and Salvation

Honorable mentions: (not because they are necessarily any worse, I just didn't want to bother, or didn't feel that they needed, an explanation):
Opeth, Mastodon, Amon Amarth, Enslaved, Pelican, Meshuggah,Týr, Death, Nile, Isis, Behemoth, Necrophagist, Dark Suns, Scale The Summit, Arch Enemy, Ensiferum, Russian Circles, Equilibrium, The Ocean, Cavalera Conspiracy, Eluveitie, The Sword, Bloodbath, Canvas Solaris, North, Obscura (this one's a band), At the Gates, Arsis, Cult of Luna, Abigail Williams, Strapping Young Lad, Children of Bodom, Falchion, Farmakon, Iron Maiden, The Faceless, Sepultura. and some more. If I think of anything, I'll post it.and I know some of this isn't strictly metal, but it's worth a look anyway.

edit: error fixed in Lykathea Aflame song name
Last edited by h2ostra on Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sandurz

Post by Sandurz » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:44 pm

LINKIN PARK IS NOT METAL! Sorry, but it just isn't.

@H2hostra, some of those are very excellent! I especially liked Wintersun's Starchild.

Spartan X
please can i have a title soon?

Post by Spartan X » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:25 am

Hmmm, lets see... Slipknot...Killswitch Engage...Pantera...Brokencyde...Bullet for my valentine...Bring me the horizon... and the rest are illegal to say, as they are not metal. HOLLYWOOD UNDEAD XD

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:14 am

CHAVVY RAPCORE!!!!but theyve got some good songs

Renegade_Turner
Gramps

Post by Renegade_Turner » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:04 am

Primordial - Empire Falls. They're great craic. Irish metal band.

Ragdollmaster

Post by Ragdollmaster » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:07 am

Primordial is graet a++

Children of Bodom has some cool songs (even if they might classify as screamo during a lot of the song, which I don't favor) Also <3 Lykathea Aflame, have a lot of their songs on my iPod.

And although a little graphic/morbid/horribly disturbing, I like some of Cannibal Corpse's work.

Also used to listen to Trivium a lot, pretty cool.

h2ostra

Post by h2ostra » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:59 am

Any Gorod fans out there? I've heard a couple of their songs recently, and I'm liking what I'm hearing.

TheShadowInside

Post by TheShadowInside » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:14 pm

meh...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cBFvrRsOxo

i think i did ok, bit sloppy but still.

i like stuff with lots of compliated guitar patterns... so this was up my street...
is this metal?

Grayswandir
Short end of the stick

Post by Grayswandir » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:39 am

Krypteria - German/Korean lead singer, I mean come on, that's just awesome.
Maximum the Hormone - Japanese punk/metal band