[EXIL] Acrobatics Actions Platforms game

Anything else
Froyok

[EXIL] Acrobatics Actions Platforms game

Post by Froyok » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:20 pm

We search a unreal script programmer !
http://www.moddb.com/games/exil/jobs/un ... rs-cripter
--------------

Hi everybody, today i'm going to talk about my game. My game is always in development for the moment... but you can love it ! :mrgreen:
Let's go :

Name : EXIL
Type of game : Platform game with action, as Prince of Persia
Webpage : http://www.exil-game.fr/exil/
Secondary webpage : [moddb] http://www.moddb.com/games/exil
Summary :
Exil is a platform game filled with action. Its style is based upon that of the latest Prince of Persia games. The game allows you to embody Be Enklave, a barbarian king deposed from his throne : Enklave. Sent on a prison island lost in the middle of a dark ocean, Enklave will have to escape and fight the other prisoners and resident monsters to escape...
The game will allow acrobatic moves and interactions with the player's environment, and a sword will be available to fight the monsters and prisoners.

I don't understand...
EXIL? What's that?
Game.MaKers.? Who are they?
Hehe...
EXIL is an action/platform video game for PC, which has been under development by my group : Game.Makers. The game draws inspiration from the Prince of Persia series (especially from Sands of Time), in that its main character will have access to a wide range of acrobatic moves and defeat his foes in a spectacular and entertaining way.

King Enklave has been dethroned and subsequently sent in EXIL to the remote Island of Cianadex, lost in the midst of an ocean over which rages a perpetual storm. This island was actually a now derelict prison, which is currently used by various kingdoms as a convenient EXIL place for prisonners they do not care about seeing ever again. Over the years, the state of anarchy that resulted from the departure of the wardens has gradually given way to a new hierarchical order. A mysterious princess also lives on the island, residing in the only casle built there. Recently, strange blueish crystals have grown here and there, and the island is now partially covered with them.

Character : Enklave
He's the main protagonist. Enklave is reigning over a gigantic and prosperous realm, which he built and maintained through numerous conquests. This, naturally enough, has brought upon him the enemity of some of his neighbours.
He was a rowdy and dauntless kid, which was the ground for his later successes. He is also shrewd, and has so far always been thinking ahead of his opponents.

Gameplay : acrobatics and weapons.
Exil has been thought so as to offer a similar gameplay experience to the Prince of Persia series. However, we do not intend to merly copy the widely acclaimed Prince of Persia gameplay, but rather see it as a standard of fun to reach.

Enklave is a lithe man who has made a point of keeping his physical skills honed: he therefore masters a whole repertory of accrobatic moves he can use to his advantage to go about wherever he choses to. He can do :

* rolls
* jumps
* combinations of the two above.
* mantle walls or climb on roof beams ...
* jump from beams to beams
* run along walls for distances up to 5 yards
* and other fancy moves...

He can jump or climb onto pretty much everything that he'll find on his path.

Enlkave will also pretty early in the game lay his hands on a weapon that will allow him to fight whatever monsters happen to live on this island. The blade will have another usefullness: by driving it into some walls, he'll be able to use it as a platform from which to reach even more places.

EXIL is comprised of 3 main locations, which Enklave will have to successively go through. However, within each environnement, the player will be able to freely chose his path from the starting point to the level exit. Level design will allow a wide range of possible paths, so the game will have a good replayability.
The first setting is the beach on which the stranded Enklave wakes up. Surrounded by shipwrecks thrown ashore by the violence of the storm, beset by heavy rain and wind, Enklave embarks on a new journey.

Hum, what else ? I don't know, but if you want more informations on one or more points on the game, I here, and I will be answer to your question ! :D
I wait for some critical opinions, for ideas, for suggestions, for questions, in brief, for all what makes you react.
Last edited by Froyok on Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheBigCheese

Re: [EXIL] Acrobatics Actions Platforms game

Post by TheBigCheese » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:31 pm

Questions, yay!

How long have you been working on it?
Are you making the engine from scratch?
How do you plan on making the acrobatics? Will you have predefined "grab points" or use a procedural algorithm?
Is the engine in 3d, even though the game is 2d?
How will it expand on the Prince Of Persia gamestyle? Are there any innovative twists?
What kind of stage are you at with the game right now?

I'll probably think up more later. Looks like a good game idea. I'm always a fan of acrobatic games.

Froyok

Post by Froyok » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:24 am

TheBigCheese wrote:Questions, yay!

How long have you been working on it?
I work on EXIL for more than one year.
TheBigCheese wrote:Are you making the engine from scratch?
Almost, I use Ogre3D for the graphics, the rest on the other is completely created by me.
TheBigCheese wrote:How do you plan on making the acrobatics? Will you have predefined "grab points" or use a procedural algorithm?
I plan zones with release mechanisms (trigger), as soon as the player meets himself inside (with a jump for example) it activates the object in question and the corresponding animations. For example : with a beam, if the player jumps towards it, it will return in touch with the trigger of the beam, and according to his direction, an animation on the character will be activated. The game manages then the situation and will determine which actions are possible (jump, climb to upper beam,...).
TheBigCheese wrote:Is the engine in 3d, even though the game is 2d?
Full 3D, I hope to reach a visual render similar to Prince of persia Warrior within or that Tomb Raider legend.
TheBigCheese wrote:How will it expand on the Prince Of Persia gamestyle? Are there any innovative twists?
For the moment, only one innovation :
the sword of the king for climb on a wall everywhere. I also think about the way of integrating physics destructions, as the destruction of a wall which can give new interaction platforms.
TheBigCheese wrote:What kind of stage are you at with the game right now?
I work on the game engine, and I try to create level, for test player (not implemented) and interaction with the level (and add a physics engine as ODE).

Wilbefast
Location: In a sealed box shielded against environmentally induced quantum decoherence

Post by Wilbefast » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:33 am

Sont fort les français :P J'aime bien ce "genre".

Je pourrais peut être t'aider avec les traductions (je suis Anglophone maternelle - ça se voit). T'a considéré le "procedurally generated animation"? Je crois que c'est ça qu'on te demandait - David parlait d'"Assassin's Creed" il'y a pas longtemps: ils ont fait genre 20 mille milliards d'animations et en petite équipe c'est pas aussi facile - on est moins fort donc faut être plus astucieux :D

Pour ma part, j'aimerais savoir si tu fait ça pour Linux aussi, ou seulement Windows (Mac?). Aussi, parle nous un peu du combat :D

En Anglais bien sûre :P

William

Untadaike

Post by Untadaike » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:14 pm

Wow, the music is SO good!

Froyok

Post by Froyok » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:21 pm

Wilbefast wrote:Sont fort les français :P J'aime bien ce "genre".

Je pourrais peut être t'aider avec les traductions (je suis Anglophone maternelle - ça se voit). T'a considéré le "procedurally generated animation"? Je crois que c'est ça qu'on te demandait - David parlait d'"Assassin's Creed" il'y a pas longtemps: ils ont fait genre 20 mille milliards d'animations et en petite équipe c'est pas aussi facile - on est moins fort donc faut être plus astucieux :D

Pour ma part, j'aimerais savoir si tu fait ça pour Linux aussi, ou seulement Windows (Mac?). Aussi, parle nous un peu du combat :D

En Anglais bien sûre :P

William
English, of course. Thanks for your proposition, but I have already a slave's group to translate most important news about exil (here : http://forum.canardpc.com/showthread.php?t=39507 ) :lol: !

Yes, the game will be available on Windows and Linux, but for Mac, I don't know for the moment... Because I haven't got a mac, and I don't know how to program on this system.

For the animation, I know what is procedural animation, but I don't knwo how that's work and how to add in my game. So, for the moment, it's just skeleton animation with no transition (or she are very bad :mrgreen: ).
I've found little documentation on the subject too, regrettably.

For the music, track are from this albums :
http://www.jamendo.com/fr/album/2572 (atmosphere music)
or
http://www.jamendo.com/fr/album/37009 (main menu music)

m3nace

Post by m3nace » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:00 pm

looking good

dunno about the concept art though, some of the aquarelle is fairly good, but the drawings are out of proportion and without depth

Froyok

Post by Froyok » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:15 am

Hello !
Some news for the game, frist 3D models are here ! :D
And, I start the level editor, for your beautiful eyes, the splash screen :

Check the moddb page for more news ! ;)
Models' news : http://www.moddb.com/games/exil/news/ex ... -3d-models

Untadaike

Post by Untadaike » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:32 pm

Tight!

Froyok

Post by Froyok » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:04 am

Untadaike wrote:Tight!
Wait... what ? :?:

Eagle0600
Location: Brisbane, QLD, Australia, Southern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Inner Rim, Orion Arm, Milky-Way, Universe

Post by Eagle0600 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:27 am

If you don't get Tight!, substitute Hot!, Great!, or Awesome!

Froyok

Post by Froyok » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:12 am

Eagle0600 wrote:If you don't get Tight!, substitute Hot!, Great!, or Awesome!
Hoooo ! Okay ! :lol:
Thanks for you Eagle0600, and of course, Untadaike ! :wink:

After some test with the release of my level editor, I think I will upload a test version for many people can try the engine and the editor. Would you be interested ?

Count Roland

Post by Count Roland » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:58 pm

I think that's probably gonna be a unanimous yes.

Blorx
NOT A FRIGGIN PROGRAMMER

Post by Blorx » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:18 pm

That is a unanimous yes xD

Eagle0600
Location: Brisbane, QLD, Australia, Southern Hemisphere, Earth, Sol, Inner Rim, Orion Arm, Milky-Way, Universe

Post by Eagle0600 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:51 pm

No. For me it's a maybe. I'm still not sure about this game, but I'll keep watching its progress to see what I think.