so anyway...my CPU usage has just shot through the roof

Anything else
zoidberg rules

so anyway...my CPU usage has just shot through the roof

Post by zoidberg rules » Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:17 pm

i have got into the habit of bringing up my task manager whenever im on the PC and i noticed recently that my CPU usage has just shot through the roof, almost always being on 100% :?

i know some smart-ass is gonna say that bringing up the task manager uses CPU so if i want it to stop, and i just wanna tell them in advance to shut the hell up. (im watching you)

is there any way that i could possibly bring down the usage of my CPU without uninstalling any programs? if not, i wasted your time and i apologise

PS: just noticed that the usage has plumetted since i left facebook's games portals, could this be the whole reason?

PPS: once my problem has died, i wanna throw the floor open to you guys, if any of you need any tech support that is

Timothy

Re: so anyway...my CPU usage has just shot through the roof

Post by Timothy » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:47 pm

I've noticed the same problem, I don't even bring up the task manager though, I have a program called Anvir task manager and it runs in the background and there will be random points of time that my CPU hits 100% usage for no apparent reason. Its a buzz kill =(

Lotus Wolf

Post by Lotus Wolf » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:11 pm

I'm gonna go out on a limb and hypothesize about background fork bomb viruses. This happened to me once, the fork bomb that is, and it used all the computers CPU from startup to shut down. The difference in this and your problem is that a fork bomb would not just suddenly stop. Sorry for being unhelpful, but I'd say it's some kind of virus that is activated by certain web pages. Google your symptoms, sometimes that brings up some relevant results.

Edit: The hell? I Just noticed my CPU spike to 100% for about thirty seconds... I'm not doing anything unusual either...

Dudeman

Post by Dudeman » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:41 pm

My CPU usage never goes above 40% even when playing Crysis.. Idling at a nice 0-2% right now with four Firefox windows up. Ahh, the joy of triple core 3.4Ghz processors... please dont kill me.

Endoperez

Post by Endoperez » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:14 am

You know that you can re-order the taskbar processes by either their processor usage, or memory usage? Just order them from highest to lowest and see what program/process is hogging the processor power. Once you know the process name, you can google or ask around and find if it's a bug, a virus or something else.

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:05 am

thanks for that i just found out that firefox is hogging all of the usage...

damn

im gonna go kill that then

switch it off...switch it off good!!!!

TheBigCheese

Post by TheBigCheese » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:57 pm

100% spikes are pretty normal if you have a few programs open, especially if you also have an anti-virus program constantly checking in the background as well.

zoidberg rules

Post by zoidberg rules » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:28 am

thanks for all that

thing is, it goes to about 100% and stays there for about 10 minutes at a time